News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

DisneyCane

If disagree, but my objection to it is on two levels anyway (as I said, I belong to one of the minorities being slandered).
Your opinion is that you are being slandered, my opinion is that I am not. I strongly believe that people's opinions should not be censored (either by governments or an attempt by other businesses). If somebody wants to hate a group of people, they should be allowed to express that opinion as long as they don't take actions that actually harm the group they hate.

My opinion is that, on platforms such as X, it is the job of the rest of the community to call out hateful opinions and create counter arguments for opinions that they believe are hateful or offensive.

I should be allowed to state the opinion that people who have two different color eyes are demons that are stalking your children and will kidnap and eat them. Even though it is something preposterous that I made up, I should be allowed to post that and then it is society's job to point out the stupidity of the opinion. However, I shouldn't be blacklisted due to that opinion.

Back to the topic at hand, it is my opinion that it is absurd for Disney to have this reaction to something that is borderline offensive depending on your point of view (and your preconceived view of Elon Musk) but is perfectly OK with TicTok which is influenced by the Chinese Government.

adam.adbe

Your opinion is that you are being slandered, my opinion is that I am not. I strongly believe that people's opinions should not be censored (either by governments or an attempt by other businesses). If somebody wants to hate a group of people, they should be allowed to express that opinion as long as they don't take actions that actually harm the group they hate.

My opinion is that, on platforms such as X, it is the job of the rest of the community to call out hateful opinions and create counter arguments for opinions that they believe are hateful or offensive.

I should be allowed to state the opinion that people who have two different color eyes are demons that are stalking your children and will kidnap and eat them. Even though it is something preposterous that I made up, I should be allowed to post that and then it is society's job to point out the stupidity of the opinion. However, I shouldn't be blacklisted due to that opinion.

I'd agree with that in principal (if not wholly in practice) but then the owner of that platform needs to not be in the business of moderating speech he himself does not want. Musk regards X as his personal fiefdom.

Back to the topic at hand, it is my opinion that it is absurd for Disney to have this reaction to something that is borderline offensive depending on your point of view (and your preconceived view of Elon Musk) but is perfectly OK with TicTok which is influenced by the Chinese Government.

While they're at it, they can drop all of the rest of the social media companies, but vile as TikTok can be, currently the Chinese government is not using it to push dehumanizing narratives about the Taiwanese. The day that starts, Disney will have a choice to make.

UNCgolf

As an aside, I think Twitter/X has already hit the generational wall that Facebook hit a while ago. That feels like a death knell for social media sites (even if it's a slow, prolonged decline). Elon Musk may be accelerating it, but it was probably inevitable.

I have nieces and nephews in middle school, high school, and college, scattered across the country in three different states. None of them use it, and none of them know anyone who uses it. They all use Snapchat and TikTok. Twitter/X is an older generation thing to them and not something they care about.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I believe Elon was in Israel yesterday with their PM. Touring some of the October 7 sites of horror. And meeting with families of the victims.

GrumpyFan

I mean, why do they bother posting there when all of the bloggers and sites like this one already post way more and much better content about their news and info. Seems they've lost their edge.

lazyboy97o

This in addition to their ongoing efforts to ensure that advertisers have control over where their ads appear in the first place, which, as I understand it, includes safeguards against the scenario I described, should negate the problem.
Those safeguards were already supposed to be in place and they were not. X keeps lying to these companies and the public about their policies and practices. Multiple times now the CEO has been blindsided by the comments and business decisions of her boss. Yes, there might be safeguards today but they weren’t there yesterday when they were supposed to be and they may not be there tomorrow.

Beyond the issue of content X is erratic. What Elon keeps saying about the subscription service and how it will grow and function is fundamentally at ads with attracting advertisers.

Brian

Those safeguards were already supposed to be in place and they were not. X keeps lying to these companies and the public about their policies and practices. Multiple times now the CEO has been blindsided by the comments and business decisions of her boss. Yes, there might be safeguards today but they weren’t there yesterday when they were supposed to be and they may not be there tomorrow.

Beyond the issue of content X is erratic. What Elon keeps saying about the subscription service and how it will grow and function is fundamentally at ads with attracting advertisers.
I can certainly understand Disney and the other companies pulling their ads for these reasons. It makes sense to me as a good business decision, at least until X becomes more stable in terms of their policies and practices.

The problem is, we're led to believe by mainstream media reporting that they did it because Elon agreed with a post on his personal account that some found antisemitic.

LittleBuford

With respect to social media platforms it is a form of censorship. Not technically but from the standpoint of Disney trying to influence what is and isn't allowed to be posted on social media.
Again, by that standard, those who have cancelled their Disney+ subscriptions because of their objections to some of Disney’s content are also engaging in a form of censorship. I guess we have different definitions of the word.

lazyboy97o

I can certainly understand Disney and the other companies pulling their ads for these reasons. It makes sense to me as a good business decision, at least until X becomes more stable in terms of their policies and practices.

The problem is, we're led to believe by mainstream media reporting that they did it because Elon agreed with a post on his personal account that some found antisemitic.
A few notable companies have stated why. Internal documents from X have revealed that far more did so quietly at the same time.

adam.adbe

With respect to social media platforms it is a form of censorship. Not technically but from the standpoint of Disney trying to influence what is and isn't allowed to be posted on social media.
Are you saying companies should be compelled to advertise on social media sites that they may for one reason or another feel aren't actually in their strategic best interests?

Brian

A few notable companies have stated why. Internal documents from X have revealed that far more did so quietly at the same time.
That may be, but if that's buried in paragraph 16 while the headline is "More companies pull ad spending from X due to Musk's antisemitic comments" you and I both know which narrative the public will run with.

adam.adbe

That may be, but if that's buried in paragraph 16 while the headline is "More companies pull ad spending from X due to Musk's antisemitic comments" you and I both know which narrative the public will run with.
But that's a problem with lazy clickbaity journalism, rather than the actions of X or any of the companies who are currently choosing not to get their photos taken with X. You've been making the case that Musk is being misrepresented, but above seem to suggest that *why* Disney might have done a thing is less important than why the media[1] says they did a thing.

[1] Yes, I know, but Disney have repeatedly proved themselves to strangely useless at leveraging their own supposed media might.

Figment1984

I thought it was pretty shocking when NBCUniversal, the company where Linda Yaccarino worked as the head of advertising & partnerships for 12 years before taking the CEO position at Twitter, decided to pause advertising.

When your former company is now in a position where they are doubting your leadership and words, something is certainly not right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom