News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree in this instance.
Here is a quote of his apology from that interview.

“I mean, look, I’m sorry for that … post,” he said. “It was foolish of me. Of the 30,000 it might be literally the worst and dumbest post I’ve ever done. And I’ve tried my best to clarify six ways from Sunday, but you know at least I think it’ll be obvious that in fact far from being antisemitic, I’m in fact philosemitic.”

Also, sometimes I do like a good ole “go beep yourself.”

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is going to be fascinating to watch play out. Are today's comments by Musk going to antagonize the big media players even further and push them to make the X boycott permanent? It isn't like X is going to find any other advertisers with the type of deep advertising pockets that Apple, Disney and co. have. This may finally be the end of Twitter.

Casper Gutman

This is going to be fascinating to watch play out. Are today's comments by Musk going to antagonize the big media players even further and push them to make the X boycott permanent? It isn't like X is going to find any other advertisers with the type of deep advertising pockets that Apple, Disney and co. have. This may finally be the end of Twitter.
The personal attack on Iger actually puts him in a bit of a bind. If he takes any further steps to separate from Twitter (which he absolutely should) he’ll look petty and vindictive to many observers. The upside is that Musk will absolutely continue to say awful things (this is a pattern and the video amply demonstrates he isn’t sorry in the slightest) and run the company erratically, so Iger and the other CEOs will have many excuses to cut off business relations. I think that when Blue Sky opens to the public, Twitter is done.

Squishy

The personal attack on Iger actually puts him in a bit of a bind. If he takes any further steps to separate from Twitter (which he absolutely should) he’ll look petty and vindictive to many observers. The upside is that Musk will absolutely continue to say awful things (this is a pattern and the video amply demonstrates he isn’t sorry in the slightest) and run the company erratically, so Iger and the other CEOs will have many excuses to cut off business relations. I think that when Blue Sky opens to the public, Twitter is done.
Threads was supposed to be the twitter killer, blue sky isn't going to do anything, they took too long to roll out.

Casper Gutman

Threads was supposed to be the twitter killer, blue sky isn't going to do anything, they took too long to roll out.
A lot of folks with very significant followings have already jumped to Blue Sky. It has a lot more momentum then Threads ever did.

It’s largely immaterial. Twitter is becoming so inhospitable that at some point it will die on its own, regardless of competition.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don’t think it would be an issue, because Disney had already stopped advertising before todays comments by Musk.

Squishy

Here's what Bob Iger had to say today on this via Deadline

“I have a lot of respect for Elon and what he’s accomplished. Not just you know, one business, but a few businesses. And we know Elon is larger than life in many respects, and that his name is very much tied to the companies he either founded or he owns, whether it’s Tesla or SpaceX, or now X. And by him taking the position that he took in quite a public manner, we just felt that the association with that position and Elon Musk and X was not necessarily a positive one for us. And we decided we would pull our advertising,” Iger said at the DealBook conference today during a Q&A.

-----

Iger said Disney entities from ABC News to ESPN are allowed to use X as a platform to communicate, but that’s it. Asked if he’s decided how long the ban would last, he said, “I haven’t. I haven’t really addressed it since the decision was made.”

Full article below.

I have a feeling Iger released this right before the interview because he knew Elon was going to be speaking & wanted to cool things down a bit.

Brian

I foresee some of the advertisers making their boycott permanent while others return. I suspect Disney will be part of the latter, just not until some time next year once this has all cooled down.

I also believe that Musk will have to rely on growing the X Premium subscriber base to pickup the tab for the lost advertisers and then some if he wants to eventually turn a profit.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Musk being Musk.

How many times has the access media decried the death of X?

Guess what everyone is doing, tweeting about Musk. User engagement is likely through the roof. There is no platform in place that can effectively compete with X. If advertisers want to ignore this because they don’t like him, they do so to their own detriment. People on X also buy laptops, see movies, and take vacations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom