News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Stitchon

It's so funny to see a certain sect of people here living in an alternative universe where Twitter is as vital and vibrant as it ever was. To the average person, it is noticeably slower, angrier, and less engaging. The age of the social media "town square" is over and people are splintering off to their own communities. BlueSky and Threads may add up to something, but they simply can't reach the heights Twitter once reached because the culture has moved on.

Advertising dollars must move on as well. That's the business, folks.

Brian

It's so funny to see a certain sect of people here living in an alternative universe where Twitter is as vital and vibrant as it ever was. To the average person, it is noticeably slower, angrier, and less engaging. The age of the social media "town square" is over and people are splintering off to their own communities. BlueSky and Threads may add up to something, but they simply can't reach the heights Twitter once reached because the culture has moved on.

I really wish it didn't come to this. I would have loved to see an actual free speech platform where right and left alike can come together and just talk out the issues. The more siloed we become as a society, the worse the division and rancor will become.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I would have loved to see an actual free speech platform where right and left alike can come together and just talk out the issues.
That’s what real life relationships are for. Social media is just horrible for society. And the people that “lead” us would never allow what you had hoped for anyways.

Figment1984

I really wish it didn't come to this. I would have loved to see an actual free speech platform where right and left alike can come together and just talk out the issues. The more siloed we become as a society, the worse the division and rancor will become.
I actually prefer how it was during the early internet days before Facebook and Twitter came along. When there were thousands of separate websites and communities created by individuals to moderate as they saw fit. Heck, the website we're on right now is one of those.

It was always a mistake to allow a handful of for-profit individuals and corporations to essentially take control of the internet.
Do share how the fediverse is being held back by these mysterious people.
Trying to explain Mastodon or the Fediverse to your average person is like trying to explain cryptocurrency and NFTs. It makes no sense to anyone. :p

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Or, more likely, the number of views/engagement they are seeing has fallen off sharply with the decline in twitter users, and Disney doesn't see value in it anymore. Disney wasn't the first advertiser to bail. The writing there has been on the wall for awhile.

They arent going to post on Threads a lot, that's for sure.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Musk being Musk.

How many times has the access media decried the death of X?

Guess what everyone is doing, tweeting about Musk. User engagement is likely through the roof. There is no platform in place that can effectively compete with X. If advertisers want to ignore this because they don’t like him, they do so to their own detriment. People on X also buy laptops, see movies, and take vacations.
I don’t think Disney needs X. They have enough means to find their audience through their own platforms and other social networks. They seem to be moving very much towards TikTok. I would not be surprised to see Disney abandon X entirely.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Or, more likely, the number of views/engagement they are seeing has fallen off sharply with the decline in twitter users, and Disney doesn't see value in it anymore. Disney wasn't the first advertiser to bail. The writing there has been on the wall for awhile.
Twitter has not been good for engagement for a while now, even pre-X based on what I see with this site and hear from others.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I don’t think Disney needs X. They have enough means to find their audience through their own platforms and other social networks. They seem to be moving very much towards TikTok. I would not be surprised to see Disney abandon X entirely.
You should clarify that this would be for advertising. Disney is still and has not stopped using X for communications amongst different segments and personalities because there is no other platform capable of doing what X does with the user base it has.

Elon effectively cornered Bob Iger yesterday and once again put Disney straight in the middle of the culture war as the face of this current kerfuffle. This certainly doesn’t help Bob cool things down, and Elon rubbed Bobs face in it with his comments about Disney being soft boycotted because of their stance on various issues which conflict with the values of a large chunk of consumers.

drizgirl

Elon effectively cornered Bob Iger yesterday and once again put Disney straight in the middle of the culture war as the face of this current kerfuffle. This certainly doesn’t help Bob cool things down, and Elon rubbed Bobs face in it with his comments about Disney being soft boycotted because of their stance on various issues which conflict with the values of a large chunk of consumers.
Bob heard us all about nickel and diming. And he was going to try to calm down their involvement in the culture wars.

Did anyone believe any of that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
You should clarify that this would be for advertising. Disney is still and has not stopped using X for communications amongst different segments and personalities because there is no other platform capable of doing what X does with the user base it has.

Elon effectively cornered Bob Iger yesterday and once again put Disney straight in the middle of the culture war and the face of this current kerfuffle. This certainly doesn’t help Bob cool things down, and Elon rubbed Bobs face in it with his comments about Disney being soft boycotted because of their stance on various issues which conflict with the values of a large chunk of consumers.
I think Disney will be just fine without X for ads and content. For a while now they have leaned towards TikTok and this just accelerates the process.

monothingie

Premium Member
Bob heard us all about nickel and diming. And he was going to try to calm down their involvement in the culture wars.

Did anyone believe any of that?
Just like when he said he’s leaving in 2026 and definitely not going to sell ABC…

OSUPhantom

Hard to disagree with why they did it but Disney getting embroiled in another divisive, public, feud is bound to hurt them as much as it hurts Twitter. Just adding fuel to the fire.
This is an extremely online take. Most consumers don’t care about Twitter/X or Elon Musk and won’t care that Disney decided to stop advertising on it or won’t even hear this story at all.

monothingie

Premium Member
This is an extremely online take. Most consumers don’t care about Twitter/X or Elon Musk and won’t care that Disney decided to stop advertising on it or won’t even hear this story at all.
Elon Musk is (as Bob iger put it) a larger than life personality, much more so than Bob himself. When he makes news people pay attention.

At bare minimum this does not help Disney lure back consumers or guests already weary of Disneys missteps in handling various social and political issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom