News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

denyuntilcaught

I really don't think this is coincidental. Iger literally admitted that they pulled ads because they don't like what Musk has to say on his own personal account. That's the reasoning behind Disney pulling their ads, per the CEO. So why then is it a "weak argument" to suggest that, if they're admittedly unhappy with what Musk has to say, they would try to create public pressure against him through the pulling of their ad spending and public statements of this very nature?
I hear your argument, but I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusion here. Saying companies' pulled their ad spend is one thing, to say they did it as a way to put pressure on Musk to change his behavior is another. Couple things here are true:
  1. A company, in the interests of its shareholders, must protect it's brand.
  2. At the moment, X is headed by a man who is a liability to X itself, as well as any company associated with it.
  3. A company should always look to limit its liability.
  4. Therefore, if spending on X is a liability, a company must limit its spend.
I don't think it's any more or less than that. Disney doesn't care about whether or not Musk himself changes his actions, they just choose not to have anything to do with it to protect itself. Iger's statement is likely more about the macro picture, in that "we're working hard to stay out of politics," and not so much that "we hope Musk seeks help."

MrPromey

Also not my post.

I know - I was just teasing you, man!

That's what the winky face was about!

Just being silly.

Also, my first post about this was deleted for some reason even though there is absolutely nothing controversial about my observation. I don’t care that much, but if quotes can now be attributed to people who didn’t make the post, that’s a problem.

Could have been part of an off-topic tangent purge. I've seen it happen plenty of times where my own post dissapears along with the post it's a reply to and the one before that, etc.

Don't worry - it's not some grand conspiracy.

May very well happen to what we're saying here and now, too.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

If you look at the original articles, that is not mentioned. They've been updated since then to cover their behinds, since their narrative was shattered.

Take for example, the archived version of CNN's coverage from Friday night:

CNBC hasn't even bothered to update their story:

Walmart drops ads on X as Elon Musk fallout grows​

CNBC's headline gets to the heart of my frustrations. Many people on the internet, especially younger people, don't even read the article anymore, just the headline. If you read that headline, you'd assume that Walmart dropped their ads due to the fallout referenced in the headline, then move on, having been misled.

Let's say you're curious and you open the article. There's no mention of the fact (as of this post) that Walmart dropped their ads before the boycott, making it unrelated. But let's say CNBC did what CNN did and had paragraphs of buffer, and then in the 8th paragraph, finally says: oh, we should probably mention this has nothing to do with Musk's "antisemitic" comments.

That's calling burying the lede, and they count on readers not having the patience to read a bunch of secondary information before getting to the new and important information which changes the narrative. 'X Says Walmart Hasn't Advertised on Platform Since October' should be the headline, not buried several paragraphs in.

Surely you see where I'm coming from when it comes to this obvious bias?
Wal-Mart made the announcement on Friday. However long the decision was in the works, they obviously felt it was important to announce it now.

Musk’s behavior isn’t something that sprang up in the last week or so. He has an established pattern of amplifying and agreeing with conspiracies, hate, and, yes, antisemitism. It’s a pattern that has almost certainly contributed to the decision of various advertisers to head for the hill.

Stripes

Premium Member
It's a good thing that ironclad law of business doesn't apply to say ... doing business with China.
Isn’t Tesla’s largest factory in China? Didn’t Elon claim that Taiwan was part of China? Has Elon ever said anything that wasn’t praiseworthy of China?

I think Iger has been more critical of China than Musk ever has. And that’s saying something.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Isn’t Tesla’s largest factory in China? Didn’t Elon claim that Taiwan was part of China? Has Elon ever said anything that wasn’t praiseworthy of China?

I think Iger has been more critical of China than Musk ever has. And that’s saying something.
Largest is in Austin Texas.

Brian

Wal-Mart made the announcement on Friday. However long the decision was in the works, they obviously felt it was important to announce it now.

Musk’s behavior isn’t something that sprang up in the last week or so. He has an established pattern of amplifying and agreeing with conspiracies, hate, and, yes, antisemitism. It’s a pattern that has almost certainly contributed to the decision of various advertisers to head for the hill.
guy-arguing.gif

AdventureHasAName

But Iger will take Chinese money (and edit his films for the Chinese censors). Playing nice with dictatorships is perfectly fine; no liability there.

Brian

But Iger will take Chinese money (and edit his films for the Chinese censors). Playing nice with dictatorships is perfectly fine; no liability there.
Or filming in an area where they were rounding up people and putting them in camps?
But spaceship man said some bad words! Don't you know that words are violence, and are so much worse than actual violence?

/s

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member
The shareholders obviously don’t care. In fact, if Disney hadn’t tried to play nice and make inroads in the Chinese market, do you think Iger would be head of the company? The shareholders would give him the boot.

And honestly, it sounds like the censorship China has demanded would be changes you support.

But again, at least Iger has come out and said he isn’t as optimistic about China as he once was. What has Elon said against China? Is he not totally beholden to the export Chinese rare Earth elements? Talk about leverage. The Chinese could wipe out Tesla and SpaceX in one day if they wanted to, simply by restricting exports and imposing sanctions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom