News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Casper Gutman

The companies certainly have no obligation to spend their money on the platform, but he does have a point when he says they're blackmailing him. They have made no bones about it that they don't like what he has to say and what he allows to occur on the platform, and have been very public in those stances. For what other purpose did they go public about pulling their ads if not to try to influence Musk and X and to create a pressure campaign against him?

If they merely pulled their ads quietly, I'd be inclined to agree with you that the blackmail claims are spurious.
Wal-Mart won’t pay me a million dollars to tattoo their company name on the back of my neck. They’re trying to blackmail me to stop passing gas in elevators.

Prince-1

I only care about who does it to me. And I assure you, nobody reported my posts because they agreed with my viewpoint.

And you have no clue who did it to you if anyone actually did. Again, the mods do hang around and actually read and contribute to the threads and I am assuming that whatever you posted that got you banned was probably over the top and way past the rules that we all have to follow. Moving on.....

Brian

Am I the only one that thinks that blackmail is the wrong word here? Musk did a thing. The companies responded. Cause and effect. Maybe this is Musk realizing the concept of consequences?
I suggest that you look up the definition of blackmail because what they did is not that at all. Musk agreed publicly with an obvious anti-semitic post and advertises decided not to spend their cash on trash. The fact that they made a statement in doing so isn't blackmail. Simple case of cause and effect.
Blackmail might be the wrong word, but I do think the reality is of the same spirit. Like I said in another post, these companies have been very public about pulling their ads, and in some cases, the rationale behind it as well. If this were merely a case of wanting to just pull their ads, they would do so quietly. Companies switch up their advertising strategy without putting out a press release or sending a statement to the media all the time.

However, when they go out and make a spectacle about it, I think it's fair to say that they are trying to 1.) draw public attention to the issue, and 2.) put pressure on X/Musk to change course.

Prince-1

Am I the only one that thinks that blackmail is the wrong word here? Musk did a thing. The companies responded. Cause and effect. Maybe this is Musk realizing the concept of consequences?

Of course it's not blackmail. Musk realized that he screwed up and showed that either he is anti-semitic or leans that way (it's the former) and when companies decided to pull their advertising revenue he threw a tantrum and told them to F-off and then finally apologized to try and stop the ship from totally sinking.

Casper Gutman

Putting aside the content of Musk’s statements, he is also behaving incredibly erratically and in an often self-destructive manner. Given the high-profile fact of his complete control of Twitter, that’s more then enough reason for companies to not want to invest in it (or in any other company he controls).

Prince-1

Blackmail might be the wrong word, but I do think the reality is of the same spirit. Like I said in another post, these companies have been very public about pulling their ads, and in some cases, the rationale behind it as well. If this were merely a case of wanting to just pull their ads, they would do so quietly. Companies switch up their advertising strategy without putting out a press release or sending a statement to the media all the time.

However, when they go out and make a spectacle about it, I think it's fair to say that they are trying to 1.) draw public attention to the issue, and 2.) put pressure on X/Musk to change course.

Releasing a statement isn't making a spectacle. It might be in your head, so it can help your weak argument, but not one company made a spectacle out of this except for Musk and his dumpster fire of a company aka X.

Vegas Disney Fan

Indeed. If the “messaging” in question is that obvious, what would prevent someone from simply specifying what it consists of?
This is disingenuous, it’s been answered dozens of times, in civil conversations and also in vile arguments, and everything ends up purged.

There’s no sense in answering it because it will inevitably result in an argument, everything even remotely related to the conversation will be deleted, it makes mom’s life unnecessarily difficult, and a week later someone will ask someone to “explain” again and the cycle will repeat itself. This has happened dozen of times over several threads already so why would anyone want to instigate it again?

Casper Gutman

Elon Musk is African and he's as white as snow. If you replaced the Black Panther with an actor who looked like Elon Musk, it would be a mistake. I wouldn't cast Charlize Theron as Storm, either.
Come on. It would be a little hard to tell a story of a hero standing against colonialism in Africa with Elon Musk as the star. You aren’t arguing in good faith.

Brian

Releasing a statement isn't making a spectacle. It might be in your head, so it can help your weak argument, but not one company made a spectacle out of this except Musk and his dumpster fire: X.
Again, companies switch up their advertising spending all the time without making a statement to the media or putting out a press release. This time, when there's a public pressure campaign they'd like to mount, many of them go talking to the press.

I really don't think this is coincidental. Iger literally admitted that they pulled ads because they don't like what Musk has to say on his own personal account. That's the reasoning behind Disney pulling their ads, per the CEO. So why then is it a "weak argument" to suggest that, if they're admittedly unhappy with what Musk has to say, they would try to create public pressure against him through the pulling of their ad spending and public statements of this very nature?

Prince-1

Again, companies switch up their advertising spending all the time without making a statement to the media or putting out a press release. This time, when there's a public pressure campaign they'd like to mount, many of them go talking to the press.

I really don't think this is coincidental. Iger literally admitted that they pulled ads because they don't like what Musk has to say on his own personal account. That's the reasoning behind Disney pulling their ads, per the CEO. So why then is it a "weak argument" to suggest that, if they're admittedly unhappy with what Musk has to say, they would try to create public pressure against him through the pulling of their ad spending and public statements of this very nature?

All of that may be true, and it still does not constitute blackmail. Not even close. Again, companies stop spending advertising revenue for many reasons, including not wanting to support a company whose owner agreed with an obvious anti-Semitic post. The fact that you have so many Fortune 500 companies separating themselves from X shows that the level of how bad Musk royally screwed up. Again, moving on….

drizgirl

I deleted my twitter account I had for over a decade because of that man. He was muted on my very first day of joining twitter, long before any of this nonsense started.

As we always say in 'Merical, he is welcome to post whatever he wants ~ he then must also deal with the consequences of those words.
And I'm sure he cried himself to sleep when you deleted your account.

Brian

lazyboy97o

🤔

X says Walmart pulled ads in October, weeks before Media Matters hate speech report and Musk rant

Yeah and? You were just complaining about companies making pronouncements but are also bothered by the many more who have been quiet.

Figment1984

🤔

X says Walmart pulled ads in October, weeks before Media Matters hate speech report and Musk rant
This was brought up yesterday. Walmart literally stated "we've found other platforms better for reaching our customers.". Zero accusations, “blackmail”, or any mention regarding the recent drama. As innocent as innocent can get when making a statement about pulling ads.

That hasn’t stopped Elon from making passive aggressive remarks about the company and his fanboys for making wild accusations. Curious to see how his “give us millions in ad revenue or I’ll put you on the list” new marketing campaign will work out in the end.

Brian

Yeah and? You were just complaining about companies making pronouncements but are also bothered by the many more who have been quiet.
Well it's interesting that the media, based on what I've been able to find, went to Walmart following the advertising boycott and asked them if they are still advertising on X. They said no. The media ran with that as Walmart stopping ads on X "following backlash to Elon Musk's comments," when in reality, if they had asked the right questions, would have found out that they stopped over a month before the boycott even began.

It's more media bias.

lazyboy97o

Well it's interesting that the media, based on what I've been able to find, went to Walmart following the advertising boycott and asked them if they are still advertising on X. They said no. The media ran with that as Walmart stopping ads on X "following backlash to Elon Musk's comments," when in reality, if they had asked the right questions, would have found out that they stopped over a month before the boycott even began.

It's more media bias.
Even in this thread the first mention of Walmart no longer advertising mentions that it had been in the works for months.

Brian

Even in this thread the first mention of Walmart no longer advertising mentions that it had been in the works for months.
If you look at the original articles, that is not mentioned. They've been updated since then to cover their behinds, since their narrative was shattered.

Take for example, the archived version of CNN's coverage from Friday night:

CNBC hasn't even bothered to update their story:

Walmart drops ads on X as Elon Musk fallout grows​

CNBC's headline gets to the heart of my frustrations. Many people on the internet, especially younger people, don't even read the article anymore, just the headline. If you read that headline, you'd assume that Walmart dropped their ads due to the fallout referenced in the headline, then move on, having been misled.

Let's say you're curious and you open the article. There's no mention of the fact (as of this post) that Walmart dropped their ads before the boycott, making it unrelated. But let's say CNBC did what CNN did and had paragraphs of buffer, and then in the 8th paragraph, finally says: oh, we should probably mention this has nothing to do with Musk's "antisemitic" comments.

That's calling burying the lede, and they count on readers not having the patience to read a bunch of secondary information before getting to the new and important information which changes the narrative. 'X Says Walmart Hasn't Advertised on Platform Since October' should be the headline, not buried several paragraphs in.

Surely you see where I'm coming from when it comes to this obvious bias?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom