News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

SplashJacket

Stupid move on Disneys part for sure. Playing a game of chicken with the state is reckless. Everything they did via the developers agreement basically feeds the argument the state was making when they crafted the legislation.
I disagree.

DeSantis hasn’t been doing any of this for the betterment of Florida, he’s been doing it for it’s own political benefit at the detriment of his constituents.

This just kicks the can down to a competent, non-self-absorbed, Governor in the future, which works because DeSantis has a nearing expiry.

This has turned his quick little political win into a Nightmare Fantasmic.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
What do you think will be the agreements downfall?
What do you think the agreements enforceability is, other than Disney lawyers said it was legal?

It’s going to be picked apart by lawyers who make your annual salary in a day. Think they won’t find something?

EricsBiscuit

The IG is directed to investigate by the Guv. She has no choice but any elected official can use their power over the underlings to direct what they investigate. Now if an investigation had been done and something uncovered it would be something for the courts to decide. No evidence or more than supposition has been put forth that TWDC did anything illegal in this matter. Just a bunch of whining by people who didn't get their way because they are unable to see more than hate.

The only people hiring lawyers is the new board. More of the taxpayer (Disney) money spent on friviouls causes in addition to the ~65M it cost to drop the old board and install a new one. No respect for our dollars.
When you are under a criminal investigation the first person you call is an attorney. Again, they wouldn’t be pursuing this if they didn’t think they had something. A lot of info still isn’t public yet.
Stupid move on Disneys part for sure. Playing a game of chicken with the state is reckless. Everything they did via the developers agreement basically feeds the argument the state was making when they crafted the legislation.
That’s what everyone on this board is missing. Disney overplayed their hand. What they did just proves the governor’s point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When you have control of all the levers of state government, you shouldn’t be underestimated or written off.
A different state…and I might agree with you.

The minute the amount of cash dumped into that state is disclosed…and it quiets down.

But that’s proprietary and the person with the button doesn’t want to disclose…yet

And as I’ve said from the beginning: the Supreme Court does not rule against Disney in this. No matter the makeup.

monothingie

Premium Member
I disagree.

DeSantis hasn’t been doing any of this for the betterment of Florida, he’s been doing it for it’s own political benefit at the detriment of his constituents.

This just kicks the can down to a competent, non-self-absorbed, Governor in the future, which works because DeSantis has a nearing expiry.

This has turned his quick little political win into a Nightmare Fantasmic.
I’ll remind you he was recently re-elected in a landslide. All in the midst of his “war” with Disney. So….you’re just wrong.

JoeCamel

When you are under a criminal investigation the first person you call is an attorney. Again, they wouldn’t be pursuing this if they didn’t think they had something. A lot of info still isn’t public yet.

That’s what everyone on this board is missing. Disney overplayed their hand. What they did just proves the governor’s point.
Ok I'm done with the "if they wouldn’t be pursuing this if they didn’t think they had something". It is a face saving move by a politician that screwed up. Nothing there nothing to find just a waste of our money\

Disney did nothing wrong and it seems "everyone on this board" can see that except you. Why?

peter11435

What do you think the agreements enforceability is, other than Disney lawyers said it was legal?

It’s going to be picked apart by lawyers who make your annual salary in a day. Think they won’t find something?
Why would it not be enforceable. The legally elected board of the district entered into a contract. Just as they have done countless times before. They did nothing that wasn’t within their power and authority as outlined in the districts charter and under state law.

Sure it will be picked apart. But it was also put together by Disney lawyers who make your annual salary in a day. Of the two entities here, it’s the state that has already demonstrated a willingness to break the law and violate the constitution and an apparent ignorance of both. So I know who my money is on.

peter11435

No, this all started with Disney doing nothing wrong and then the state overplaying its hand.

I find it laughable that you claim the state wouldn’t pursue this if they didn’t think they had something. They’ve repeatedly lost case after case because they generally don’t seem to know or care about the law.

monothingie

Premium Member
Why would it not be enforceable. The legally elected board of the district entered into a contract. Just as they have done countless times before. They did nothing that wasn’t within their power and authority as outlined in the districts charter and under state law.

Sure it will be picked apart. But it was also put together by Disney lawyers who make your annual salary in a day. Of the two entities here, it’s the state that has already demonstrated a willingness to break the law and violate the constitution and an apparent ignorance of both. So I know who my money is on.
Quoted for posterity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Come on you can do better than that. I’m disappointed.
I don’t need to do “better”. You’re highly overestimating the pols, the strength of their “case”, and the desire for the real power brokers in this country to escalate this battle against - and this is me saying this - one of our most sacred and powerful brand names.

Last edited:

SpectroMagician

In what way did the state break the law or violate the constitution? By passing a new bill via congress and having it signed into law? So passing a new law to override and old on is "breaking the law and violating the constitution" to you? I think you need to re-watch schoolhouse rock again buddy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom