News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is - don't try to spin it like its not.
But of course it needs to be spent correctly.
Let’s do a sentence breakdown, shall we?

“Walt Disney plans”
Full stop. Bob-committal
“To spend $17 billion in the state of Florida”
Ok…we’re good there
“Over the next 10 years”
Danger, will Robinson. So that is a classic Disney tactic… big number diluted over a time frame.

This is a tactical and strategic Move.

But let’s get back to money. So how much do you think they legitimately need to spend per year - based on their budgets and practices - to improve/repair/sustain the Orlando complex?

Curious. Not a loaded question.

CJR

Let’s do a sentence breakdown, shall we?

“Walt Disney plans”
Full stop. Bob-committal
“To spend $17 billion in the state of Florida”
Ok…we’re good there
“Over the next 10 years”
Danger, will Robinson. So that is a classic Disney tactic… big number diluted over a time frame.

This is a tactical and strategic Move.

But let’s get back to money. So how much do you think they legitimately need to spend per year - based on their budgets and practices - to improve/repair/sustain the Orlando complex?

Curious. Not a loaded question.

I think of this line:
ErjIrUuXcAEg8_D.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Galaxy’s Edge added about 1600 operational jobs.

Iger outlined an increase of 13,000 jobs or roughly 8 times as many jobs than Galaxy’s Edge added. Sure, some of these will likely be the new campus, but new capacity is coming.

Honest question - Where are they going to get an additional 13,000 people when they still can't hire enough people to re-open things that were closed during the Covid shutdown and subsequent layoffs?

OSUPhantom

I doubt Iger would pull that number out of nowhere so clearly there are plans to make major investments. It also matches with his previous statements about expanding capacity through investments in new lands. Even over ten years that’s a significant amount of money given that I think GE cost about $1B all together. The default reaction on these forums is always negative but for now count me in as cautiously optimistic.

Bocabear

Does that include operating costs, salaries and maintenance? including the building of a new DVC tower at the Polynesian? Because those things together could probably add up to that number without putting in any new attractions... Over 10 years....
looks like annual operating expenses are about 8 billion...so 17 billion over 10 years is not much

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
10 years is a lot of time. Even if they started construction tomorrow, operational job shortages have multiple years to resolve themselves.

I realize that there's always population growth, but there's also some new thing opening up just north on I-4 in a couple of years that will require a lot of people to run.

I have a feeling this $17 billion is ultimately going to end up to be quite a bit less when all is said and done, due to "fiscal circumstances". And Bob's only around another 18 months and he's talking about 10-year plans. Taking this with a very large grain of salt.

Lilofan

Honest question - Where are they going to get an additional 13,000 people when they still can't hire enough people to re-open things that were closed during the Covid shutdown and subsequent layoffs?
The grooming guidelines were tweaked to include cast and incoming cast to openly show their tattoos to help bring in new cast to fill open positions. Who knows what more of the grooming guidelines were be more tweaked.

Bocabear

Does that number include their marketing budget, because I am sure that is also a heft number... Spending within the state of FLorida does not necessarily mean in Walt Disney World...

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Probably coming out with a new popcorn bucket or cupcake soon
Dvc kiosks
Can y’all be happy for once?

Even a fraction of $17B means major expansion at all of the parks which massively improves the guest experience.

People like @SplashZander have suggested that level of investment was likely for a while now with the people who make it their life’s point to hate on something they supposedly enjoy dissing it as not happening.

It’s as clear as day that investing in the parks is the plan now, and that’s not to say the $17B isn’t most definitely exaggerated, but that they do seem to have major plans for Orlando. Massive W.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That 1600 seems completely off.

There ain’t that much there…from a practical standpoint

And they screwed themselves on labor. Not sure they’ll ever recover. That limits their options in Florida

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom