News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

gorillaball

That “elite” Rise of the Resistance ride cost $25 ILL the other day with only half the ride operationally working.

Also Woody’s Lunchbox is mainly grilled cheese and pop tarts and they ruined Be Our Guest when they changed the menu and doubled the price.
So they shut down the stand by line?

peter11435

In what way did the state break the law or violate the constitution? By passing a new bill via congress and having it signed into law? So passing a new law to override and old on is "breaking the law and violating the constitution" to you? I think you need to re-watch schoolhouse rock again buddy.
Congress isn’t involved in this at all. Clearly you need to rewatch schoolhouse rock.

And yes, it was a violation of the US construction and the most recent bill violates the Fl constitution.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would it not be enforceable. The legally elected board of the district entered into a contract. Just as they have done countless times before. They did nothing that wasn’t within their power and authority as outlined in the districts charter and under state law.

Sure it will be picked apart. But it was also put together by Disney lawyers who make your annual salary in a day. Of the two entities here, it’s the state that has already demonstrated a willingness to break the law and violate the constitution and an apparent ignorance of both. So I know who my money is on.
He’s saying the courts in the state are in the pocket of Tallahassee

And they are as it stands. That’s a hurdle for Disney

But nestled between Virginia and Maryland…there’s a very easy case to be made.
If you try to get that court to rule that a privately held, large corporation does NOT have the right to a political opinion…what would ruling invalidate?

Anyone think a campaign fundraising stunt will be picked over unlimited dark money nationally?

…good luck there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, this all started with Disney doing nothing wrong and then the state overplaying its hand.

I find it laughable that you claim the state wouldn’t pursue this if they didn’t think they had something. They’ve repeatedly lost case after case because they generally don’t seem to know or care about the law.
…we’re symbiosis on this one…

…sign of the apocalypse 🤪

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
There’s still a long road ahead and things could certainly go in a wide variety of directions. But you can’t baselessly claim that it’s illegal and will be stopped without any supporting evidence.

I find this funny coming from you considering your prior comments. Seems like you’re backtracking.

I’ve made no such claim about the outcome other than to disagree with posters who said the situation is settled. I don’t know how it’s going to turn out, but I’d bet a lot that it’s ultimate outcome is going to be a lot different from what we have now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Congress isn’t involved in this at all. Clearly you need to rewatch schoolhouse rock.

And yes, it was a violation of the US construction and the most recent bill violates the Fl constitution.
It actually could be used to invalidate the citizens United ruling…which decreed that corporations have a “mind” and therefore can have a political preference. That was about unlimited money to buy policy…but it also covers “free speech” by a company as well. Political opinion is protected under the first amendment.
There are numerous Florida lawmakers on record talking about “punishing” Disney for an opposite opinion…
…and I bet copies of those comments are already safely in “the Disney vault”

peter11435

I find this funny coming from you considering your prior comments. Seems like you’re backtracking.

I’ve made no such claim about the outcome other than to disagree with posters who said the situation is settled. I don’t know how it’s going to turn out, but I’d bet a lot that its ultimate outcome is going to be a lot different from what we have now.
I’m not backtracking at all

I don’t think anyone thinks this is settled and there wont be further development. No doubt there will be more, but that doesn’t mean the latest agreement between Disney and the district was illegal.

Disneys original statement about the bill that started this wasn’t illegal either but that didn’t stop the state from overplaying their hand. No doubt they will attempt to do the same again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’ve made no such claim about the outcome other than to disagree with posters who said the situation is settled. I don’t know how it’s going to turn out, but I’d bet a lot that it’s ultimate outcome is going to be a lot different from what we have now.
I don’t think it’s “settled” at all.

I think a very loose reading of the tea leaves shows Disney will not “lose”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol you got it backwards. WDW is losing market share and needs investment to remain competitive. WDW is now under a criminal investigation. I suspect that investigation might be cranked up if there isn’t more investment.

Edit: we can cry about if it’s fair or not but that is how the game is played
They’re not under “criminal” investigation…

Just because someone ate cow pies for breakfast…doesn’t mean you believe them when they spit it back out

No Name

That’s a pretty huge number. I mean Mine Train, Frozen, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy’s Edge, and the four rides since then cost maybe $4 billion altogether. $17 billion over ten years is a boatload of money, even despite the fact that they tend to spend inefficiently.

Of course whether it ever actually gets spent is another question.

Vegas Disney Fan

$17B over the next 10 years can really only mean new theme park.

I hope not, I’d rather see them spend a couple billion each in the existing parks than blow it all in one place.

Half of it is likely destined for outside the parks anyway, a couple new DVCs, a couple resort renovations, new monorails (we can dream), maybe a skyliner expansion… that’s probably $5 billion gone right there.

WDWFanRay

hope not, I’d rather see them spend a couple billion each in the existing parks than blow it all in one place.
The new Universal park is going to be the catalyst for another Disney park. Universal will have three parks and a water park. That will only leave Disney with a one park advantage. That is not enough for Disney to retain their Central Florida top dog status and they know it. Let’s just say that I know a guy who knows a guy that might know about some balloon tests that might be coming soon.

llewmmu

I hope not, I’d rather see them spend a couple billion each in the existing parks than blow it all in one place.

Half of it is likely destined for outside the parks anyway, a couple new DVCs, a couple resort renovations, new monorails (we can dream), maybe a skyliner expansion… that’s probably $5 billion gone right there.
To be fair, Galaxy's Edge was $1 billion for a single land, and they won't be doing that every year

They can certainly manage a whole decade of new additions for the current parks with say, 7 out of 17 billions alternating between a whole new land and singular ride each year.

Still leaves a ton of overhead for whatever else, heck, they probably could still fit a 5th gate into that if they were super efficient with the budget

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
That “elite” Rise of the Resistance ride cost $25 to ride the other day with only half the ride operationally working.

Woody’s Lunchbox is grilled cheese and pop tarts for $15 and they ruined Be Our Guest when they changed the menu and doubled the price
The solution to that is what they’re doing, which is building more rides, so people can do more of them without waiting as long or needing to “skip” the line.

That’s why Disneyland’s waits are far more reasonable even in the busy season compared to WDW’s astronomical waits. It’s because there are more rides—in many cases better than WDW—per person.

However, you can still hop in Rise’s queue when it’s like 5 minutes before park closing and literally wait under 30 minutes almost every day, so I think there is massive value for Genie+ (at least once per park per trip for me), but zero in the Individual Lightning Lanes. Fastpass+ was a disastrous system so it just couldn’t go on, and paid Fastpasses try to carve out the annual pass impact on wait times, so from an ops perspective, I see why they did it and that was even before they charged for it.

While you completely ignored the bulk of the restaurants I gave an example for and chose to focus on a couple, I definitely agree with prix fixe menus. I had a rant against them the other day, but they are noticeably absent at Disneyland Resort.

Maybe you need to make a trip to the west coast for a better overall experience: more rides per park (with lower waits), less touristy… it feels less corporate, kinder crowds, better maintenance, longer park hours, more affordable, etc. I snagged some airfare for $140 round-trip direct from Atlanta to LAX and walking distance hotel rooms for less than that per night in the busy spring break season. Went to the parks for 5 days straight arriving at them by 10am and leaving at close (either 10pm or 12am). It’s worth it over Disney World 11/10.

My point was, on the new additions, I see no logical reason to not be happy to just have actual expansion. It’s Orlando’s #1 problem. The last round adding everything from Pandora to Ratatouille was awesome from that perspective (minus losing GMR). The Orlando parks were starting from an awful place, plagued by underinvestment and weak ride slates. Now they’re up to par with where they should have been to start, but it’s time for actual expansion now. There’s not enough rides for too many people, and people being negative about new ride additions before we even know what they are is just silly.

If you legitimately are this negative towards this, it makes me think you think that the parks were better in 2016 versus 2023. If that’s true, then maybe theme parks aren’t for you because adding in a vacuum 3 of the best theme park rides in the world back to back is something I like to celebrate.

I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh that this massive figure thrown around is likely inflated and could be Disney telling Florida to ef off if they want TWDC to continue to invest in the state, but when taken with Iger’s comments about adding capacity being the #1 priority, I tend to be more optimistic-minded.

I could be wrong, but I imagine the $17B number will include new E-tickets and lands. If they’re well-done 2 thumbs up from my point of view!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom