News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s a pretty huge number. I mean Mine Train, Frozen, Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galaxy’s Edge, and the four rides since then cost maybe $4 billion altogether. $17 billion over ten years is a boatload of money, even despite the fact that they tend to spend inefficiently.

Of course whether it ever actually gets spent is another question.
Nobody said $17 billion in “additions”. That could include redoing every hotel room on property. Or the road. Or the water control system. Or resurfacing the monorail beam.
The new Universal park is going to be the catalyst for another Disney park. Universal will have three parks and a water park. That will only leave Disney with a one park advantage. That is not enough for Disney to retain their Central Florida top dog status and they know it. Let’s just say that I know a guy who knows a guy that might know about some balloon tests that might be coming soon.
Not at all. And it has nothing to do with “competition”

A new park would mean attendance would fall at the other 4…which does them no good.

Fido Chuckwagon

Galaxy’s Edge added about 1600 operational jobs.

Iger outlined an increase of 13,000 jobs or roughly 8 times as many jobs than Galaxy’s Edge added. Sure, some of these will likely be the new campus, but new capacity is coming.
Until it gets scaled, back, scaled back some more, scaled back some more, then quietly cancelled and replaced with a new popcorn bucket and maybe a conversion of some more hotels to DVC.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
“Wow $17B that’s awesome! I can’t wait! When does the expansion begin?”

“Best I can do today is $35 for Genie+. Have a magical day”

1680607202608.jpeg

Tha Realest

How much of that $17 billion will go towards infrastructure, refurbishments, DVC resorts, etc. I doubt all of it is going to new rides, especially after Iger just said Journey of Water marks the end of EPCOT's [underwhelming] transformation.
Yeah. Everyone has stars in their eyes thinking $17 billion / $1 billion cost of SWGE means 17 new comparable experiences.

If I had to guess I’d say this translates to 2-3 E-tickets, one or two refurbished rides, and a new DVC expansion.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah. Everyone has stars in their eyes thinking $17 billion / $1 billion cost of SWGE means 17 new comparable experiences.

If I had to guess I’d say this translates to 2-3 E-tickets, one or two refurbished rides, and a new DVC expansion.
and new R&D for popcorn buckets

Some of that I assume will go into a new “land” or two, but imo, they sometime go overboard there and only deliver an attraction or two

ToTBellHop

Some of you imagine a CEO can lie to shareholders much more than a CEO actually can…

Shareholder fraud is a thing.

Can plans change? Sure. But an outright lie would lead to lawsuits on discovery. And it would be discovered given the level of attention being paid to Disney’s relationship vis-à-vis the State of Florida.

castlecake2.0

The interesting part is the “13,000 new Disney jobs”. That’s like a theme parks worth of new cast (I know they’re not building a 5th gate, just using as a reference point), which seems to align with Bob’s previous comments of acknowledging the fact they need more capacity.

Riviera Rita

Use some of that money to commission a survey of all current and past AP holders, DVC members and all who have visited WDW at least once in the two years before the pandemic and have returned at least once in the last two years, using the email listed on the MDE account they can contact people inviting them to take part. And not just the bog standard question, rating 1- 5, but, asking them to give as in depth as possible response, allowing up to 1500 words, as to how they feel about how the parks and resorts are being run now, especially specifics like LL, Genie+, Park reservations, mousekeeping, quality of CMs for example, but, let the responses be about anything to do with the parks and resorts and anything that Disney ask guests to pay for too.
I don't like surveys that only allow you rate 1-5 or 0-10 because only the lowest and highest numbers are taken into consideration, they aren't interested in the central numbers. Remember that when you ever do a survey, they are only interested in like or hate, not meh.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
For anyone who thinks this $17B will be for strictly for parks and attractions capacity, remeber this is coming from the same guy who just said a few weeks ago that prices had gotten out of hand and it wasn't fair to the guests.

But today Genie + is $35. Appx $38 once you add tax.

Iger and Joshy Pooh are here to save the day!

Tha Realest

Some of you imagine a CEO can lie to shareholders much more than a CEO actually can…

Shareholder fraud is a thing.

Can plans change? Sure. But an outright lie would lead to lawsuits on discovery. And it would be discovered given the level of attention being paid to Disney’s relationship vis-à-vis the State of Florida.
Of course current plans can change. That’s not a lie. But I also don’t think the $17 billion dollars in investments mean it’s all going to new expansions. They can lump in labor costs and “investments in technology” and capital improvements /upgrades to existing resorts as being within that $17bn figure.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
For anyone who thinks this $17B will be for strictly for parks and attractions capacity, remeber this is coming from the same guy who just said a few weeks ago that prices had gotten out of hand and it wasn't fair to the guests.

But today Genie + is $35. Appx $38 once you add tax.

Iger and Joshy Pooh are here to save the day!
Yep.

Pixie dust is a toxic addictive drug. I’ve been there so I get it, but I see behind the curtain now. It’s not all magical for sure.

Phicinfan

This is one of these “predictions I hope goes wrong”…

Iger isn’t going anywhere.
He has a fixed time limit, per the board.

That being said, I am betting now, this will just mostly be fixing all that they haven't kept up with. I simply can't see a 5th park. Just doesn't make sense.

But you can bet on at least 2 more DVC hotels

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

That being said, I am betting now, this will just mostly be fixing all that they haven't kept up with. I simply can't see a 5th park. Just doesn't make sense.

They better be careful building more DVC resorts when they don’t offer annual passes anymore. There are already a record number of resales

JusticeDisney

This thread is hilarious. Certain people on this board do nothing but complain about every move WDW makes, including whining that they don’t pour enough money into the parks for upkeep and expansion, etc. Then this announcement comes out and those same folks say “well, they won’t actually do it” or “that’s not really that much” or “they are just trying to spin” or words to that effect. If Universal had made this same announcement, these people would be saying “look at that, Universal just continues to get it right and dominate WDW.” It honestly makes you wonder why certain folks spend so much of their time on a forum entitled WDWMAGIC.

Anyway you slice it, this is a MAJOR announcement for WDW!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

1. Remember how contract ends have gone prior with “the board”?
2. Who appointed “the board”?
3. Remember the public/investor they were getting last year?

…I’ll see myself out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom