News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

WaltsTreasureChest

…it would be nice. Don’t see it though
Hey, cmon! What did Figment always say?

“One little spark, of inspiration
Is at the heart, of all creation.
Right at the start, of everything that's new.
One little spark, lights up for you.”

90117EEA-57E5-4ABC-A5E9-C97CD7F2EB7B.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Can y’all be happy for once?

Even a fraction of $17B means major expansion at all of the parks which massively improves the guest experience.

People like @SplashZander have suggested that level of investment was likely for a while now with the people who make it their life’s point to hate on something they supposedly enjoy dissing it as not happening.

It’s as clear as day that investing in the parks is the plan now.

If there was something to be excited about, many would be. If there were examples of spending appropriate amounts of money on projects, maybe more would be excited.

As I said, I'm taking this with a very large grain of salt.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Even a fraction of $17B means major expansion at all of the parks which massively improves the guest experience.

People like @SplashZander have suggested that level of investment was likely for a while now with the people who make it their life’s point to hate on something they supposedly enjoy dissing it as not happening.

I’ve been around long enough to know how this works. I want to be optimistic but I also know Iger is a politician more than he is an imagineer. He knows what he’s saying and doing. Some of that may have been said for DeSantis and company.

Sure they may invest in the parks as they absolutely should, BIG TIME, but that can come in so many different things, not just attractions. Things like Poly DVC tower and new roads could be included in that amount, and don’t forget Guardians alone cost half a billion.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with that money, but as far as real beneficial attraction and park expansion without cuts to the budget, I’m not going to believe it until I see it

Magenta Panther

If there was something to be excited about, many would be. If there were examples of spending appropriate amounts of money on projects, maybe more would be excited.

Same here. I'd like to hear specifics. For all we know, a lot of that money will be spent on yet ANOTHER soulless hotel or on some Iger acquisition, as opposed to projects based on genuine Disney IP or at least on restoring attractions (like the Tower) to their former glory.

At the very least, they should spend some of that money to fix the Yeti!

MagicHappens1971

That 1600 seems completely off.

There ain’t that much there…from a practical standpoint

And they screwed themselves on labor. Not sure they’ll ever recover. That limits their options in Florida
I don’t know the numbers for sure, but RotR & Smugglers are pretty heavy on cast members needed for operations. Ogas & DB7 as well as all of the Merch carts/stalls. I’d say there were at least 1000 new positions created in Galaxys Edge, PT/FT, Photopass, Dishwashers, Custodial, etc count as well

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

You’re acting like the perfection that is Pandora and Cars Land never happened. You’re acting like Rise of the Resistence is not an elite ride. You’re acting like Ratatouille wasn’t PURE expansion, or that Cosmic Rewind isn’t a blast, and that Runaway Railway isn’t either. And for every Toy Story Land, there’s been a Galaxy’s Edge, so I’m not really worried about misses to be honest. I also doubt that they’ll be removing any more major rides like GMR going forward given Iger’s comments about expansion and Disneyland opting to not replace anything for MMRR.

I also genuinely think virtually all of the new restaurants additions have had pretty good food (outside of Space 220, though it looks stunning!): Regal Eagle, Connections Eatery, Docking Bay 7, Satu’li Canteen, Woody’s Lunchbox, Be Our Guest, etc. Awful places like Cosmic Ray’s seems to be a remnant of the past.

I’m not arguing things are perfect, far from it, but if even just a fraction of $17B finds its way into WDW, I would take it with open arms.

Maybe I’m just more optimistic having just been to Disneyland Resort (which I prefer to Orlando), but in my mind, having more high-quality rides per park like these can bring WDW closer to Anaheim’s level.

That’s a good thing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You’re acting like the perfection that is Pandora and Cars Land never happened. You’re acting like Rise of the Resistence is not an elite ride. You’re acting like Ratatouille wasn’t PURE expansion, or that Cosmic Rewind isn’t a blast, and that Runaway Railway isn’t either. And for every Toy Story Land, there’s been a Galaxy’s Edge, so I’m not really worried about misses to be honest. I also doubt that they’ll be removing any more major rides like GMR going forward given Iger’s comments about expansion and Disneyland opting to not replace anything for MMRR.

I also genuinely think virtually all of the new restaurants additions have had pretty good food (outside of Space 220, though it looks stunning!): Regal Eagle, Connections Eatery, Docking Bay 7, Satu’li Canteen, Woody’s Lunchbox, Be Our Guest, etc. Awful places like Cosmic Ray’s seems to be a remnant of the past.

I’m not arguing things are perfect, far from it, but if even just a fraction of $17B finds its way into WDW, I would take it with open arms.

Maybe I’m just more optimistic having just been to Disneyland Resort (which I prefer to Orlando), but in my mind, having more high-quality rides per park like these can bring WDW closer to Anaheim’s level.

That’s a good thing.
That “elite” Rise of the Resistance ride cost $25 ILL the other day with only half the ride operationally working.

Also Woody’s Lunchbox is mainly grilled cheese and pop tarts and they ruined Be Our Guest when they changed the menu and doubled the price.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Why on earth would a building complex make up a significant portion of a 17 billion dollar budget. Not even the new world trade center complex cost that much and the 1WTC building is 3 billion dollars
It’s semantics but if he said “at WDW” I don’t even think the cost of the Lake Nona campus would be included

Indy_UK

Also Id like to see the parking lots covered with solar panels like they did in Paris! Its a great idea spot for them

I’m shocked they haven't thought about doing this yet with to increase their self sufficiency. I guess it’s cheaper to just have them in nearby fields

JoeCamel

I love this! TWDC is saying this to get on the good side of the folks who live in FL, to be seen as the good guy and RonnieBaby is the bad guy.

Well played Disney, well played.

Will they spend that much? That’s a lie, but that’s OK, it’s all part of the game.

Let’s do a sentence breakdown, shall we?

“Walt Disney plans”
Full stop. Bob-committal
“To spend $17 billion in the state of Florida”
Ok…we’re good there
“Over the next 10 years”
Danger, will Robinson. So that is a classic Disney tactic… big number diluted over a time frame.

This is a tactical and strategic Move.

But let’s get back to money. So how much do you think they legitimately need to spend per year - based on their budgets and practices - to improve/repair/sustain the Orlando complex?

Curious. Not a loaded question.

He could have said he's going to spend a gazillion dollars, he's gone in 18 months or sooner, so I wouldn't start writing checks against his extravagent promises yet.
All this was is Bob told/reminded Ron and the voters what impact Disney could have on the state and central Florida. As noted he will be gone soon but for now he is acting in the company's best interest by advancing their opportunities.
Lobbying at the highest levels and showing what considerable clout they have unless things are not favorable to their business then bye bye investment. Bob I is quite good at it Bob C not so much.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I’m really starting to worry about you guys…

Nothing about Iger’s pattern suggests he’s leaving. At all.

But I’ll put it in practical terms: a legitimate successor must be named in the next 6-8 months if that timeline is gonna be met. The clock is ticking. ⏰
He’s out before his Disney+ time bomb blows.

hsisthebest

Look man, I want to be excited about this, but we have watched TWDC send 1 billion+ each on New Fantasyland, Avatarland, Star Wars, RFIC/Magic Bands all resulting in longer lines and a painful ride reservation system. I hope this 17 billion will help allieviate some of the current downsides of WDW, but I'm not holding my breath. If capacity is improved, I'll be first in line with my money, until then, I'll visit other Disney Parks and Uni.

EricsBiscuit

All this was is Bob told/reminded Ron and the voters what impact Disney could have on the state and central Florida. As noted he will be gone soon but for now he is acting in the company's best interest by advancing their opportunities.
Lobbying at the highest levels and showing what considerable clout they have unless things are not favorable to their business then bye bye investment. Bob I is quite good at it Bob C not so much.
Lol you got it backwards. WDW is losing market share and needs investment to remain competitive. WDW is now under a criminal investigation. I suspect that investigation might be cranked up if there isn’t more investment.

Edit: we can cry about if it’s fair or not but that is how the game is played

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom