Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

GiveMeTheMusic

Huh??? o_O There's no banners there. I only see a few magnificent cabochons.

Look again, please. No banners. Magnificent cabochons only.

fezfma_xgaqhr_c-jpeg.671347

But seriously, I do like those fountains.

They can't be used for fireworks shows in any meaningful way. Or at least shouldn't be marketed for fireworks shows as only the first row of a few dozen people out of 25,000 parkwide viewers stand a chance of seeing them change color or something during the fireworks.

But as a fun little sparkle during the daytime as you walk across the drawbridge? Or have your picture taken on the walkways surrounding the Castle? Yeah, those fountains are nice!

I don't know what a cabochon is, and I literally laughed out loud when I read the blog post using that term. Our guests love cabochons, they can't stop talking about them.

TTA94

I assume WDW will be late to the game for the 100th due to the 50th not technically ending until the Spring, but I wondered if MK will get a similar castle overlay? I would prefer that doesn’t happen and the castle returns, as much as possible, to it’s original look.

tcool123

You make some very valid points. And you are being very kind there at the end by hoping this serves as a lesson to TDO and Burbank. Because I no longer can trust them.

The problem here is that senior leadership in TDO and Burbank allowed all of this junk to happen in the first place. For a major event like the 50th. It's no longer a symbol or a warning sign or the canary in the coal mine, it's a blaring fire alarm going off in a crappy WalMart.

large

The people leading the parks now are either grossly incompetent, or drunk.
However they’re willing to change based on feedback.

They added Walt and Roy alongside 20 seconds of classic attractions to Enchantment midway through the anniversary. This can be seen as well with Enchantment , KiteTails, Harmonious being canned due to low guest satisfaction aand outside of Kitetails are getting replaced cause of the guests

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I assume WDW will be late to the game for the 100th due to the 50th not technically ending until the Spring, but I wondered if MK will get a similar castle overlay? I would prefer that doesn’t happen and the castle returns, as much as possible, to it’s original look.
The chances of TDO taking down the 50th decor and adding 100th decor more than likely don’t exist. D’Amaro didn’t mention MK when he talked about castle decor.

waltography

I have, against my will, now learned that a cabachon is a gemstone and now I am extremely confused. I guess the Disney 100 shield thing is a cabochon? Truly, we learn something every day.
I was also confused by their use of cabochon, which it looks nothing like. It's clearly a crest.

This is a cabochon to the right; it's a type of cut for gemstones that essentially polishes and smooths out the stone as opposed to the faceted cut to the left:

1665118043152.png

MoonRakerSCM

Having won a cabbing competition myself, yep, a cabochon is a rounded polished stone for jewelry purposes. Generally you see it done with decorative stones or with gemstones that take better to a polished surface (ie star garnet) vs. faceting (see Waltography's post above) such as a diamond.

1665118790438.png
1665118908198.png

1665119106440.png

I was quite puzzled by Disney's use of the term for its 100th.... shield... emblem... It's obviously not a cabochon. Maybe Disney has deemed the word shield 'offensive'.

TP2000

I have, against my will, now learned that a cabachon is a gemstone and now I am extremely confused. I guess the Disney 100 shield thing is a cabochon? Truly, we learn something every day.

Seriously? I assumed a "cabochon" was just an unused word for a banner.

And now we all know that I didn't actually go look up cabochon in the Funk & Wagnall's like I said I was going to do, and instead I just got another glass of lemonade and some chips and then tinkered with the hummingbird feeder. 😏

If a cabochon is actually a polished gemstone, where is the "magnificent cabochon" (their words) in this photo? Cause I don't see it.

fezfma_xgaqhr_c-jpeg.671347

At least the fountains look nice. And HR still allows them to use the word "fountain" to describe a fountain.

TP2000

Having won a cabbing competition myself, yep, a cabochon is a rounded polished stone for jewelry purposes. Generally you see it done with decorative stones or with gemstones that take better to a polished surface (ie star garnet) vs. faceting (see Waltography's post above) such as a diamond....

You are my new favorite. 😉

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The English major in me is nerding out about the discussion of what a “cabochon” is. I looked it up in the dictionary (electronically), and it actually has two definitions. The second definition must be the one Disney is referring to in their official announcement. So, the crest on the castle is the cabochon. Hold the 18th century furniture and “ornately carved leaf patterns.”

C1AC106D-D0B9-43D4-B290-03F6B06CC64C.jpeg

MoonRakerSCM

An extremely obscure definition for sure. There is barely any mention of it anywhere practical on the internet. From what I can gather, a 'furniture' cabochon is a carved imitation of a gemstone cab. There's seemingly a single photo from an antique website from the UK-

1665123847891.png
( https://antiquesworld.co.uk/different-antique-furniture-terminology/ )
"A cabochon is in the form of a gem shape, polished and usually convex, it is usually found on the knees of chair legs."

TP2000

I've got two sociables to attend this weekend; one a casual luncheon thing and one an evening cocktails/dinner thing. I always like to go in to a social event with a small goal or fun theme for myself.

This weekend I will be attempting to use the word "cabochon" in a sentence at each sociable. I'll just let the word hang there in midair, and see if anyone dares to question it even though I know no one will know what it means. (My social group is fun and savvy, but we aren't exactly rocket scientists.) I will report back here. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom