Walls up around SM entrance yet?

Lee

Adventurer
Hmm. So what do we think this refurb is for? Visual stuff? Audio?
Ride control system
Track
Audio (refurbed, not necessarily added)
Visual effects
Cosmetic work on station, queue, exit, etc.
Refurbed trains
All that plus the needed maintenance work on the building itself.

magicmaya

I still vouch that the experience is better with the single seating...makes you feel like you're alone flying through space and not just on a dark roller coaster in a normal rollercoaster car.

My gf is always nice enough to let me sit in the front...she knows I have a thing for that seat... :king:

The front seat is always reserved for me when my family and I go on space mountain.At disneyland I just ask the CM's If I could sit in the front.On any ride, the front seat is mine!:king:

EPCOT Explorer

Ride control system
Track
Visual effects
Refurbed trains

Not, horrible, but in all seriousness, they could do a TON more.:(

magicmaya

Ride control system
Track
Visual effects
Refurbed trains

I will have to be fine without the music then...:(

That ride seriously needs new track supports! I mean, look at this!

mk_space_mountain_1.jpg

tirian

Not, horrible, but in all seriousness, they could do a TON more.:(

Yeah, but considering how bad it almost was, I'm satisfied. Even Walt couldn't always do things exactly how he wanted—the first Matterhorn, the Flying Saucers, and DL's surroundings are great examples.

IMO, the worst mistake ever made remains not building Western River Expedition at the MK.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, but considering how bad it almost was, I'm satisfied. Even Walt couldn't always do things exactly how he wanted—the first Matterhorn, the Flying Saucers, and DL's surroundings are great examples.

IMO, the worst mistake ever made remains not building Western River Expedition at the MK.

Right. At least we are getting this in the first place.

And 1st Matterhorn?...There has been more than one?

CrashNet

Wouldn't surprise me, unless the supposed refurb on the existing supports is very extensive.
Wow...that just seems so cart before the horse. Imagine putting new track on old supports, open the ride back up, only to close it again to enhance them? I thought the four quality standards started with safety?

Something just doesn't seem right...I will say I think our expectations should be adjusted to expect what I would call a "modernization" of an existing attraction. Essentially, everything it already has will be updated and improved, but nothing else will be added.

magicmaya

Wow...that just seems so cart before the horse. Imagine putting new track on old supports, open the ride back up, only to close it again to enhance them? I thought the four quality standards started with safety?

Something just seem right...I will say I think our expectations should be adjusted to expect what I would call a "modernization" of an existing attraction. Essentially, everything is already has will be updated and improved, but nothing else will be added.

When I heard there were no new track supports and a new track It didn't seem right.It sounds dangerous.I don't understand why they're not replacing 34 year old track supports.:shrug: It seems very stupid to me.

WDITrent

By the time Space Mountain reopens, the ride will just be about to turn 35. It's surprising that they would completely replace DL's track & support system but not this support system, even when its seven years older already than what Disneyland's first support system ever was. And assuming this is the only refurb for another, say, thirty five years, then they will have a 70 year old support system! They had better replace the whole thing, or problems will come. AND more downtime. Did you hear that, TDO? More downtime = Unhappy guests!

They had better do this...

Ducks-in-a-Row.jpg

Arch Angel

Banned
Ummm, why would you expect a new track layout? That was never going to be part of the equation.

Actually it was for the longest time up until about 2 years ago when WDI came to the realization that the modern Walt Disney Corporation is not in the business of doing anything grand for guests.

Jasonflz

SM's supports look very fragile and it really blows my mind that they are not going to replace them. I really don't think that the supports could take another 20 years of stress, let alone 10. WDI must be checking up on them more now so. They wouldn't put guests lives in danger, would they?

Tubes

The Coney Island Cyclone opened in 1927 and had an extensive rehab in the early 70's. It's still running strong today. Plus, it has to withstand NYC weather conditions that the SM track was never close to. SM's supports have been kept in a weather controlled environment for more or less the same amount of time as the rehabbed Cyclone.

I see no reason why the supports are a guest hazard. Especially when coasters that are just as old are still kicking.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the reason why DL had to replace the entire internal structure of it's SM is because the in-rocket audio caused more stress then the track was designed to carry.

magicmaya

The Coney Island Cyclone opened in 1927 and had an extensive rehab in the early 70's. It's still running strong today. Plus, it has to withstand NYC weather conditions that the SM track was never close to. SM's supports have been kept in a weather controlled environment for more or less the same amount of time as the rehabbed Cyclone.

I see no reason why the supports are a guest hazard. Especially when coasters that are just as old are still kicking.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the reason why DL had to replace the entire internal structure of it's SM is because the in-rocket audio caused more stress then the track was designed to carry.

I thought they closed coney island

pketelaar01

Remember everyone this is the same crew that gave us the new monorail at DL that barely works/forgot about heat in the sun... so shoddy work is the norm, if you believe mr. lutz.

Why don't they get with Apple and embed ipod shuffles as the sound system, and give people headphone plugins. that would rock. jk.

They gotta add sound. Paris is awesome with it. DL is amazing with it. Tokyo was bland without it. It just missed something. Thank god I had my ipod with me. I realize speakers weight a lot, but the basic audio components/signal pickup for location isn't more than a few pounds.

Ff its too heavy, doesn't the ride have trim brakes? Just tap em going through certain zones to keep 'em apart.

Aren't these supposed to be the "if we can dream it, we can do it" people? Heck i've got an aerospace engineering degree. I'll donate my time. It is SPACE mountain anyway.....

Skyway

Several have mentioned the existing (but unaudible) music that has always been on the lift hill. Does anyone have an audio clip of it?? I CANNOT recall any audio other than the clacking of the lift hill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom