Walls are down at Space Mountain

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney would not tear down those walls and then pay all those hourly CM's to stand around all day if they did not have imminent plans to re-open.

(Usually they replace the construction walls with dense landscaping planters during a "soft opening" to limit access without the need for a human chain of CM's.)

However, did SM's walls go up right away when it was closed in April? Or did those show up later?

They are indeed planning a soft open this week, but when it will happen isn't for sure - it depends on a few issues being resolved.

hpyhnt 1000

They currently (as of 1pm) are not there.

Maybe they will be added later (ala Spaceship Earth) - or perhaps they are a gone.

Well that would be stupid. Starting to remind me of the chariot projection in the Rome scene on SSE. A simple, classic effect that gets taken out for apparently no reason. Hopefully the astronauts don't go down the same path. :(

Skyway

I never thought those astronauts looked very good there. Very dated spacesuits, and the forced perspective didn't really work. The LOOKED 3-feet tall. I don't mind that they're gone, unless they come back in a much more realistic form.

REMEMBER----- the rehab will likely NOT be 100% done when the ride re-opens.

Every rehab and new ride in recent history has added props and effects in the weeks and months following the opening.

TDO wants the attraction up and running to increase capacity, so the primary focus is always on the ride system. They always can -- and will -- add other improvements after-hours.

a2grafix

Well that would be stupid. Starting to remind me of the chariot projection in the Rome scene on SSE. A simple, classic effect that gets taken out for apparently no reason. Hopefully the astronauts don't go down the same path. :(

Well, what about the astronauts that were outside at the ride entrance from yesteryear, when it was sponsored by RCA? Will we ever see the return of the three astronauts in the ride vehicle, or the RCA dog listening to the master's voice sitting inside a space capsule?

Rob562

Disney would not tear down those walls and then pay all those hourly CM's to stand around all day if they did not have imminent plans to re-open.

(Usually they replace the construction walls with dense landscaping planters during a "soft opening" to limit access without the need for a human chain of CM's.)

However, did SM's walls go up right away when it was closed in April? Or did those show up later?

If the CMs are undergoing training inside the Mountain, they may have just scheduled a full complement of CMs to staff the Mountain, rotating positions as if it were open (heck, the cast deployment system might not be able to eliminate positions on the fly for just a few days...). The CMs seen standing outside would be the ones normally manning the Standby entrance, FP entrance and FP machines...

It's just good Guest Service to have CMs stationed there to answer questions, rather than have Guests walk all the way up to the Mountain entrance and wonder how to get inside. When Energy closes at 7PM each night over in Epcot, they still position a CM at the rope a bit of a distance away from the building to explain to Guests that it's closed for the night.

-Rob

Pete C

Anyone know if they updated the blue light tunnel that leads to the lift? The sound effects in there are pretty dated. I also remember the mirror at the end looking rather warped. I guess nobody will know on that one until they ride it.

EPCOT Explorer

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. No lighting. No painting. :(

I hope the queue looks good, at least...

I never thought those astronauts looked very good there. Very dated spacesuits, and the forced perspective didn't really work. The LOOKED 3-feet tall. I don't mind that they're gone, unless they come back in a much more realistic form.

REMEMBER----- the rehab will likely NOT be 100% done when the ride re-opens.

Every rehab and new ride in recent history has added props and effects in the weeks and months following the opening.

TDO wants the attraction up and running to increase capacity, so the primary focus is always on the ride system. They always can -- and will -- add other improvements after-hours.
So wrong, and so inefficient. The SHOW comes first. Opening up a ride with the show and illusion half done is exactly what Disney does NOT do....

...Or did.

EpcotServo

Still No Paint on the Mountain = Failhab

So wrong, and so inefficient. The SHOW comes first. Opening up a ride with the show and illusion half done is exactly what Disney does NOT do....

...Or did.

While I agree to a certain extent, that's not true. Matterhorn for example went nearly 20 years without getting it's planned-from-before-day-one interior sets. Until then people were riding through the wood and steel mountain core.
:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Still No Paint on the Mountain = Failhab

While I agree to a certain extent, that's not true. Matterhorn for example went nearly 20 years without getting it's planned-from-before-day-one interior sets. Until then people were riding through the wood and steel mountain core.
Failhab indeed!

Aaaand yeah, that's terrible. I'm surprised that Walt allowed that!:lol:

EpcotServo

Failhab indeed!

Aaaand yeah, that's terrible. I'm surprised that Walt allowed that!:lol:

Contrary to popular belief Walt knew that sometimes things are fine the way they are, and unlike many people on online forums, knew when to shut up about everything being perfect.

:lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I see a digital time display on Fastpast Return :D

And how retro can you go... a new 1975 logo now covers up the FX-1 signs on Alpha and Omegas control booths on the lift.

What about the view from the people mover (aka 'blue cars')?
have they taken down any of those walls. I was there last week and it was totally blocked. Any idea when we could see pics of the queue area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom