Walking Harness

susank

Original Poster
:) Hi everyone

Just joined this site. I think it is wonderful. We are going WDW in June. First time! Here is our situation. We are going with very good friends(we are both military). Dads will be TDY(On Temp Duty) for much of the trip,but will get a chance to join us later on. So we moms will be alone with the kids for a few days.

I have two girls age 3 and 8. Michelle has a daughter 7 and twin girls age 2.
We are pretty set on the twins and my 3 yr old with strollers/harnesses.They will obviously occupy a lot of our time/attention.

We are concerned about the 7and 8 yr olds. We have seriously considered walking harnesses for them. Having read so many posts and comments about crowd size,waiting lines etc, we don't want to lose track of them.They are great kids,but they are so excited now,I can imagine what it will be like when we arrive. I have read posts about strollers for kids this age which seem to work fine for some, but I don't think strollers would work for us. My question is not if walking harnesses are /are not appropriate. I have read the posts which are very opiniated one way or another. Neither of us is worried about comments etc. We need to hear from those who have used walking harnesses especially with older kids. How did they work out? Do you recommend it? Was it helpful etc? We want to make this first trip a pleasant one with good memories for later trips. Please no negative thrashings. We are both concrened and sincere about this. It seems like a good idea. We've hinted to the girls about using leashes and their reaction was pretty positive. Michelle and I would love some sincere advice on this.

Thanks

Susan K
Texas:wave:

Adreamisawish

I am no expert, just a Grandma, but IMHO I think the girls are too old for harnesses. However, I fully understand your concern and agree that you do need a way to keep track of them in a crowd.

Years ago they used to sell bracelet type things that attached to your child's wrist and then the other end attached to yours. There was a coiled cord that linked them together.

Do they still sell those things? To me that would be much more age appropriate for the girls than a harness.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree that the older girls are too old for harnesses. Please do a quick search, as this topic was just discussed (within the last week) here.

The harnesses are designed for, and, IMO, only appropriate for toddlers who still too young to understand directions. School age children, unless they have a cognitive deficit, are too old and it would be embarrassing for them.

I see that you do not want negative comments, but as a mother who DID use a harness for her toddler (and wore one herself, according to old family photos) I cannot let you think that it's OK to use one on an older child!

You aren't likely to get any comments from people who used them with older children...because it's inappropriate to do so.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think 7 and 8 are too old, but that's up to you. An alternative might be to make the two older girls "responsible" for their sisters' strollers. If they are fairly active girls, they could probably push them all day, but even if they're more sedentary, they could help push, but be "in charge".

DS12 and I [yes, I only have one] just hold hands and have done so every trip to WDW. In each park we discuss where we'll meet if we do happen to get separated. When he was younger [we started when he was 5], I would point out CMs and his instructions were to find a person with the white name tag* and ask for help finding his lost Daddy. Thankfully, we've never had this put to the test, but I've been confident he would handle it well.

* CMs are the only people with the white-coloured tags, any guest can buy a name-tag at shops in WDW, but they're all coloured ones. DS and I both have name tags, you wouldn't believe the number of times I'm asked for directions or information by guests! :rolleyes: I've interrupted parents if I overhear them telling their children to find someone with a name tag 'like this man's' to explain that their kids should only look for white tags [some of them get mad at me, like I'm trying to confuse their children :rolleyes:].

minnie2000

I think they are too old for harnesses. Could you put a wristband or sticker on them somewhere with your cell phone number? Then, if they get lost, they must find a CM with a white name tag, and ask them to call you.

tigsmom

I'm going to have to agree with The Mom on this one. I wore a harness as a toddler and used the wrist tethers on my own children (that was the style then), but stopped when they were old enough to understand that they had to stay by me when we were out. I know that the crowds are scary (both as a kid and a mom), but there has to be a better way.

I agree with Monty, put the older kids in charge of pushing the little ones stroller (with your supervision) for a bit. That will keep them focused and in your sight. Drill them on what to do if they get lost (go to a CM with a white tag) and impress upon them how important it is to stay close by as the crowds can get big and move quickly at times. I used to worry about losing my kids in WDW, but even at the age of 5 they would not wander too far out of our sights.

BiggerTigger

As many cast members, both past and present, can attest they are prepared and full aware to deal with lost children. Not saying that this will happen; however the use of harnesses for older children is not a good idea.
You may want to down load maps of the parks, have them understand (and point out) a white name tag cast member, and get the kids interactive with the trip. You'll be surprised at how well children are with following a map when taught and if you discuss that you are going to the haunted mansion as your next ride and they wonder off ahead of you, you may find them waiting patiently at the haunted mansion for you.
Good luck and remember to have fun on your trip.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think 7 and 8 are too old, but that's up to you. An alternative might be to make the two older girls "responsible" for their sisters' strollers. If they are fairly active girls, they could probably push them all day, but even if they're more sedentary, they could help push, but be "in charge".

DS12 and I [yes, I only have one] just hold hands and have done so every trip to WDW. In each park we discuss where we'll meet if we do happen to get separated. When he was younger [we started when he was 5], I would point out CMs and his instructions were to find a person with the white name tag* and ask for help finding his lost Daddy. Thankfully, we've never had this put to the test, but I've been confident he would handle it well.

* CMs are the only people with the white-coloured tags, any guest can buy a name-tag at shops in WDW, but they're all coloured ones. DS and I both have name tags, you wouldn't believe the number of times I'm asked for directions or information by guests! :rolleyes: I've interrupted parents if I overhear them telling their children to find someone with a name tag 'like this man's' to explain that their kids should only look for white tags [some of them get mad at me, like I'm trying to confuse their children :rolleyes:].

Good ideas. I always told my children to go into the nearest store or stand and tell the person at the register that "My mommy is lost." It's the only time that I'm glad WDW has a store at every attraction, and every 5 feet, around the parks. :lol:

seabee1

I think your 7/8 year olds will be fine. I have a daughter that age and we just tell her to stay right with us, and she does (to an extent). But it really isn't as bad as it sounds on paper. Just make sure they understand that they are to stay close to you. And if it gets really crowded, such as at park closing or after certain shows I have my daughter be right next to me holding onto my clothes, and she does with all her might! Another idea is to have them hold onto the side of the strollers. And actually if you get double strollers, you can actually fit more than 2 in there, if need be.(I've done it)

You said you were military, are you staying at Shades of Green?

shari71

Here is some simple things I do.

1. I buy Who's Shoes? ID tags. They are velcro and attach to many types of shoes, sandles and boots. It contains all the information they need to get me. I buy new ones each year so it is fresh and new. I only have girls so I don't know how bright the boys are but the girls are very bright pink.

2. Our community has a ID service. It takes the kids pictures and one finger print along with descriptive information. I get several of these and I keep one with me and also give one to each child to carry in their bag or pocket.

3. I also let them buy the Mickey rubbery bracelets and put my cell phone number on the inside of it.

4. Talk to my children before each trip about stranger danger and not running away. Running away will cause them to lose privileges like character meals, going to the park, etc. I take this very seriously and have a no tolerance policy for running away.

5. I let each kid pick a toy out. They get to keep it if they don't run off. I make sure it is something they really want so the threat of taking it away is something they would not want.

My kids are ages 4 and 6 right now (4 and 7 for the next trip). I have only had my youngest run off from me once when she was 18 months. I have not used a harness, but I really recommend it if you need it. I just feel anyone 5 and over really don't need it since they should be able to follow directions having been in school.

One problem also - do they make them big enough for older children?

rcapolete

When i go in Sept. i already have the over the shoulder harness for my 2yrs. old incase we need it cause she will just walk away and not care. For the older kids if you feel more confortable with the harness, they sell backpacks that the kids wear and they have a strap attached to it, atleast these don't look as much as a harness and more as any actually backpack. they come in different designes including mokeys and things like that.
Also do disney still have the tags that you can get at the Town Hall which has your info on it incase a kid gets lost. My 4 yr old is good with walking next to us but just incase would like to have that if it is still available.
thanks

ToTBellHop

shouldn't a 7- and 8-year old be old enough to understand walkie-talkies? I know I could use them at that age, and today's kids are even more tech savvy. Get them both some Walkie-Talkies, get one of your own, and if you get separated, you can quickly contact each other and meet back up. Once I was about 12, I was allowed to go off alone within a park (at about 16 I was finally allowed to go off and do whatever I wanted, even at different Theme Parks), and we would keep in contact with Walkie-Talkies (cell phones, obviously, in recent years). Works much better than kiddie leashes...I've always thought those were a little demeaning for any kid over age 4. Almost as bad as when I see a 5 year old stuck in a stroller that he/she clearly does not fit in...

ckvin

I agree with what everyone has said here about the harnesses. I understand your concerns, but I would definitely suggest something other than a harness.

Even easier than finding a cast member, tell them to look for the nearest booth that says 'Have You Heard Disney's Best Kept Secret?' You can't walk more than 10 feet without seeing one of those! :ROFLOL:

But most important...have a GREAT trip! :sohappy:

joshwill

lol...walking harness.

call it what it is, except for the fact that its not around the neck, its nothing more than a leash,

DisneyChik17

I took my first trip when I was 8 years old and there is not a person who could pay me to leave my parents. Maybe I am just clingy or needy when it comes to my parents, but I don't like to be without them.

I would tell them how boring and sad the park would be without all of you together and how much more fun it will be if you are all together. Also, tell them the bad that could happen, but make it more about having fun together. You might just be building a vacation bond like my parents are stuck with where I don't like to leave them at all on vacation and I am 18. :lookaroun (What? They reared me up in this world!)

If you feel that a harness or teather is what you need, go for it. They are your children.

WDWRLD

I think the harnesses would be more of a hazzard than a help, whith that many people the chance of someone tripping over it and pulling the child down is pretty good. The walkie talkies probally wont work either, how many adults have you seen talking to other adults that were unable to understand a darn thing. Usually they just get a bunch of noise that you cant hear anyway. Look up those whos shoes id tag for the kids shoes and teach the kids to show it to a cm. The rubber mickey bands are a good idea but the ones I bought were to big for my 7yo,s arm and it fell off more than it stayed on.

:) Hi everyone

Just joined this site. I think it is wonderful. We are going WDW in June. First time! Here is our situation. We are going with very good friends(we are both military). Dads will be TDY(On Temp Duty) for much of the trip,but will get a chance to join us later on. So we moms will be alone with the kids for a few days.

I have two girls age 3 and 8. Michelle has a daughter 7 and twin girls age 2.
We are pretty set on the twins and my 3 yr old with strollers/harnesses.They will obviously occupy a lot of our time/attention.

We are concerned about the 7and 8 yr olds. We have seriously considered walking harnesses for them. Having read so many posts and comments about crowd size,waiting lines etc, we don't want to lose track of them.They are great kids,but they are so excited now,I can imagine what it will be like when we arrive. I have read posts about strollers for kids this age which seem to work fine for some, but I don't think strollers would work for us. My question is not if walking harnesses are /are not appropriate. I have read the posts which are very opiniated one way or another. Neither of us is worried about comments etc. We need to hear from those who have used walking harnesses especially with older kids. How did they work out? Do you recommend it? Was it helpful etc? We want to make this first trip a pleasant one with good memories for later trips. Please no negative thrashings. We are both concrened and sincere about this. It seems like a good idea. We've hinted to the girls about using leashes and their reaction was pretty positive. Michelle and I would love some sincere advice on this.

Thanks

Susan K
Texas:wave:

Just wanted to commend you on an excellent and well written first post. I do agree with most that the older ones have outgrown the harness concept...there's some excellent replies here.

Welcome to the boards!:wave: Have a great trip! And please say thanks to the military Dads for me...I am so grateful for their service!

DDuckFan130

lol...walking harness.

call it what it is, except for the fact that its not around the neck, its nothing more than a leash,
If you're not going to be nice, why bother replying :shrug:

Anyway, welcome to the boards Susan :wave:

You have received great advice and I have to echo the sentiment that a 7-8 year old may be too old for a harness. Just talk to them and make sure they stay with you. If they have wallets, maybe they can have something in them that can ID them if they do get lost, with information like cell phone numbers where they can reach you.

Have a wonderful first trip :sohappy:

slappy magoo

You already have three kids in harnesses twixt the two of you. Two more would be too many.

Coincidentally, in the time between this thread and the last harness thread, I saw a kid wearing one at my local mall. Older than 3, but not quite 8 or 9. I'm guessing 5. I think, suspect, the mom wasn't all there. Which is not to suggest anyone who uses a harness isn't all there. But this kid was clearly embarrassed, asking, begging, bargaining with his mom to take it off. Clearly aware of his surroundings and what he looked like. The mom just kept humming absent-mindedly. Maybe he did something bad and this was her idea of teaching him a lesson. Or, like I said, not all there.

Anyway, far be it from me to think I know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me, if your older kids are aware enough to have a discussion about wearing harnesses, they should be aware enough if you tell them something like, "If I ever catch you more than an arm's length away from me, we're leaving the park for the day and not going back. Don't test me, you won't like the result." And be prepared to follow through. Put the onus on them to be responsible, to enjoy themselves without getting carried away. You sound like a responsible parent, so I don't doubt for a second you've discussed with your kids how to be cautious in unfamiliar situations, not talk to strangers, what to do or say if someone tries to scoot them away (which, by the way, is not all that common at WDW. Sure, we hear the horror stories, but when you think of the sheer volume of guests that walk through the gates each day, the odds that someone would successfully be able to abduct a child or act inappropriately around them are extremely unlikely. True, someone was caught recently bringing a kid behind the bushes at one of the resorts. But if there can be any "good news" about the situation, the guy was instantly seen and quickly apprehended). Sounds to me like the kids are savvy enough to follow your instructions. After all, they're military kids, they probably understand the concept of the chain of command more than most.

(I'd also, gently, suggest that, as military kids, they're probably also more used to the concept of not questioning authority more than other kids. When you talked to them about wearing harnesses, if any of your questions were "leading" in any way, then maybe...MAYBE...they would have been more predisposed to tell you what you want to hear, which is "sure, give me a harness, sounds good, no problem." No way for me to know that one way or another, just asking if it in any way could be a possibility).

although I'm sure you can tell how I feel about the subject, I hope I came across as respectful. Welcome to the boards, and I hope your trip is great. Sounds like you're due for some wonderful memories, & I hope you get them in abundance.

dhcalva

Instead of walkie talkies, I'd recommend a pair of cheap, light, prepaid cellphones for emergency. They work much better in the parks than the walkie talkies.

CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon, Alltel) work quite well in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom