Wait Lines for New Gondolas

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Has it been mentioned about what they will do with the entrance at International Gateway in terms of making it larger to accommodate the increase in guests entering there? Apologies if it has been discussed and I missed it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has it been mentioned about what they will do with the entrance at International Gateway in terms of making it larger to accommodate the increase in guests entering there? Apologies if it has been discussed and I missed it.

There's enough sidewalk to snake a line going all the way to the Dolphin.

As far as processing, they're only currently using half the width of the sidewalk for security as it is, they could easily double the tapstiles and security stations.

Also, the IG tends to let people in early up to a rope by the UK bridge. They could move the rope further into the park as much as they want all the way to France and Canada if they want.

whiterhino42

That's why I fear to see that Pop ahd AoA will become Disney's first Val-Mod resorts..Value hotel with Moderate Prices..
AOA is already priced higher than moderates. I'm going in April and it was priced higher than all the moderates.
I know this isn't just me because it's a common phobia, but I'm terrified of heights. I stopped skiing because I won't go on chair lifts anymore. I wouldn't get on this thing for anything.....that said we drive to the parks from our hotel because we had terrible experiences with busses and even monorail before. We love the boats though. I just wonder if Disney took into account how many people have a serious aversion to heights?

Storm

AOA is already priced higher than moderates. I'm going in April and it was priced higher than all the moderates.
I know this isn't just me because it's a common phobia, but I'm terrified of heights. I stopped skiing because I won't go on chair lifts anymore. I wouldn't get on this thing for anything.....that said we drive to the parks from our hotel because we had terrible experiences with busses and even monorail before. We love the boats though. I just wonder if Disney took into account how many people have a serious aversion to heights?
I'm going from the 25th of april for 12 nights and AoA was the only value resort available , yet still a good $800 cheaper than moderate resorts (first one being CBR).
Also i agree with the heights issues as i have it myself , i dont think they take that into account though unfortunately as not a huge % of people have the same issue (about 3 to 5% of the population)

Last edited:

Driver

My question to @Driver - many in this thread are making the assumption that the bus service that serves CBR to Epcot/Studios as well as the bus service that serves Pop to Epcot/Studios will stop completely, or almost completely - since many assume that WL has no bus service to MK since they have a boat - yet I know from experience that WL to MK has a bus route that runs fairly often.

@Driver - in your opinion, what will happen to the Pop/CBR bus service when the gondolas are fully operational?
You are correct in saying WL has bus service to MK. I have locked horns with many over this topic in other threads (even an X Disney bus driver). It is called the " green route" it is typically out of load zone #2 at MK. It is the first and oldest bus route on property, and dates back to when busses were under the parking dept. As far as bussing when the Gondolas start up, right now it depends on which manager you ask. LOL So that tells me the official decision has not been made or is still being kicked around. I will tell you before hiring starts for Gondolas , we will be training to receive the new CM's. I teach part time at Disney University and we are supposed to add Gondolas to our repertoire after the first of the year. When that happens a plethora of information will emerge.

Goofyernmost

If you drive and have a car available then you have no problem, if you don't have a vehicle there are others available or you can use the Gondola's, but, you don't have too. No one is going to be standing in the lobby with a rifle forcing you to use them. It is strictly your choice. At this point, you can take the Gondola, if you have a car you can take that, which is something that it sounds like you do anyway, use a Minnie Van or not stay at a Gondola Resort. Phobia, although a problem for the people with them, are not considered a handicap and are not covered under ADA.

Realistically, if any company had to provide options for all the possible phobia's in the world, all the places like WDW would close up. It wouldn't be possible to modify for every possible scenario. And it is really not realistic to think that Disney will make water connections between all those resorts and the two parks. That's asking to much when one does have options even if it isn't buses. All the laws insist on is that people have access, everyone has access, I go to WDW all the time and do not have to do any of those things if I don't want too with the exception of MK. In which case you have to use the Monorail, the ferry's or a resort bus. (or a Minnie Van) I don't know if the Minnie goes to the front gate. Someone else might know the answer to that.

Lensman

Warning: This post will probably be unpopular to practically everyone because it's not predicated on justifying preconceived notions but rather seeks to surface relevant data upon which we can base our conclusions.

I found two particles of information that people might find relevant if they are seeking knowledge vs confirmation bias:
1. The following article presents a study of the energy efficiency of electric buses vs diesel. Seems like electric buses in the real world operated at about 2 kWh per mile or 1.25 kWh per kilometer. The data table comparing the efficiency with compressed gas buses is deceptive because it doesn't present comparable numbers in different columns. At any rate, the 4.04 miles/gasoline gallon equivalent is equivalent to about 8 kWh per mile.
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/22/electric-buses-efficient-as-he-nrel-finds/
2. The following page presents that the Doppelmayr install at Koblenz Seilbahn uses 0.1 kWh to transport one rider one kilometer. It's sketchy to use this as a proxy for the Disney Skyliner, but let's do that.
http://gondolaproject.com/category/cable-transit-industry/

So we've got a 60 passenger CNG bus using 8 kWh per mile, which amortizing across passengers and converting to kWh per kilometer, actually gets you about 0.1 kWh to transport one rider one kilometer. So if we use these cases as proxies, the two are about equivalent in energy efficiency. The additional factor of the carbon efficiency of the sourced electricity generation and other efficiencies could give either an edge.

But it would be better if we could improve the estimates by using an actual diesel bus mileage. Plus we could have a useless discussion accounting for the human efficiencies. But really, we are unlikely to have any more discussion because I bet that at least one of the sets of parties in the argument doesn't really care about actually discussing facts but rather is just looking to justify their narrative. And yes, I'm hoping that this blatant passive-aggression encourages better behavior. Ha! I hope it at least makes people laugh!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
AOA is already priced higher than moderates.

Right. AoA has always been much higher priced than other values for a long time. Mostly because they're family suites.

Just want to point that out before someone looks at the AoA prices and thinks they're high because of the gondolas.

As of right now, we can see the pricing for Pop, AoA, and CBR until the end of 2019. None of those resorts have a price hike beyond the usual increase all resorts go through.

If WDW is going to hike prices this year for those resorts because of the gondola and/or SWL, it'll be a bit too late since most reservations for the Fall will already be made.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Right. AoA has always been much higher priced than other values for a long time. Mostly because they're family suites.

Just want to point that out before someone looks at the AoA prices and thinks they're high because of the gondolas.

As of right now, we can see the pricing for Pop, AoA, and CBR until the end of 2019. None of those resorts have a price hike beyond the usual increase all resorts go through.

If WDW is going to hike prices this year for those resorts because of the gondola and/or SWL, it'll be a bit too late since most reservations for the Fall will already be made.
Resort Fee coming summer of 2019, confirmed!

ErikSorensen

Why? Neither of the park terminals are inside the parks.

Agreed, it would be best if the security checks were at the resorts, but...

Perhaps they will expand the security perimeter similar to what was done for the monorail/MK, and have the security checkpoint before the terminal(s)?

Cado603

If you drive and have a car available then you have no problem, if you don't have a vehicle there are others available or you can use the Gondola's, but, you don't have too. No one is going to be standing in the lobby with a rifle forcing you to use them. It is strictly your choice. At this point, you can take the Gondola, if you have a car you can take that, which is something that it sounds like you do anyway, use a Minnie Van or not stay at a Gondola Resort. Phobia, although a problem for the people with them, are not considered a handicap and are not covered under ADA.

Realistically, if any company had to provide options for all the possible phobia's in the world, all the places like WDW would close up. It wouldn't be possible to modify for every possible scenario. And it is really not realistic to think that Disney will make water connections between all those resorts and the two parks. That's asking to much when one does have options even if it isn't buses. All the laws insist on is that people have access, everyone has access, I go to WDW all the time and do not have to do any of those things if I don't want too with the exception of MK. In which case you have to use the Monorail, the ferry's or a resort bus. (or a Minnie Van) I don't know if the Minnie goes to the front gate. Someone else might know the answer to that.
So I stay at BWV and have no car because I flew in and do not wish to be shoved like cattle into a tiny gondola with no air conditioning especial in summer Oh and they look like lots of stairs or do you have to get in a small elevator to get in this small gondola or walk.

GeneralKnowledge

So I stay at BWV and have no car because I flew in and do not wish to be shoved like cattle into a tiny gondola with no air conditioning especial in summer Oh and they look like lots of stairs or do you have to get in a small elevator to get in this small gondola or walk.

Staying at BWV you’ll have no obligation to use the gondolas. They aren’t being constructed with the intention of serving your resort. You may continue to walk or boat to either of the parks serviced by the gondolas.

EDIT: Also....no stairs....and no elevator

MikeyK72

So according to your guidelines, if they do not act on 100% of the the opportunities they should just do nothing? That’s kind of a ridiculous way to look at it. Are there more things that ‘could’ be done? Of course but when they do, all they get are complaints like ‘the AC isn’t cold enough’ or ‘I can’t believe they are taking straws away!’ I take a more reasonable and less absolutist view that they should get credit for what they are doing instead of obsessing about what they aren’t doing.

...and let's not forget about the "single-ply toilet paper" complaint worthy of it's own thread. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom