Wait Lines for New Gondolas

Storm

Do we know it's not better, worse or equal? Ultimately if people are that worried there's lots of hotels to stay at in Disney without the gondolas. It sounds as though everybody staying in Disney is being forced to use a transportation system that nobody wants and is proven to be worse than what's currently available. For those worrying it will be quite easy to either wait and see reports from others or stay at a different resort if they don't like the options of transport. I see it as something new and different which adds more variety. If you want to use monorails from your hotel then stay at x,y or z. If you want boats or buses choose any from a variety, want a gondola then take your pick too.
The price is a huge thing in the choice of a hotel for people that have a limited budget but i do agree that there are other choices with different transportation , i just hope busses will still be a thing after fall 2019 as a different option though

Damon7777

Do we know it's not better, worse or equal?

Please tell us that is not a real question.
Clothelining will be far superior to catching the bus.
1) it's new. Thus, new paint, new clear windows, new seats, new everything.

2) more or less straight and continuous travel. Imagine 11 pm and you spent all day at parks. It's not fun to the overcrowded standing or sitting guests when the bus stops at traffic and then starts up again multiple times and makes sharp turns a few times. LOUSY experience.

3) each sock and t shirt on the line is more intimate due to the number of guests per clothing item.

4) quicker? I bet it will be

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
zNJwePV.png

:joyfull:

mergatroid

The price is a huge thing in the choice of a hotel for people that have a limited budget but i do agree that there are other choices with different transportation , i just hope busses will still be a thing after fall 2019 as a different option though

As pointed out it's doubtful that buses will still operate where the gondolas do (or at least nowhere near as frequently). It will make Disney more efficient not operating them and using them elsewhere (or not at all)

mergatroid

Please tell us that is not a real question.
Clothelining will be far superior to catching the bus.
1) it's new. Thus, new paint, new clear windows, new seats, new everything.

2) more or less straight and continuous travel. Imagine 11 pm and you spent all day at parks. It's not fun to the overcrowded standing or sitting guests when the bus stops at traffic and then starts up again multiple times and makes sharp turns a few times. LOUSY experience.

3) each sock and t shirt on the line is more intimate due to the number of guests per clothing item.

4) quicker? I bet it will be

I think the rest of my post kind of answers that! However for argument's sake it's not been proven yet. So if somebody goes on a day when the Gondolas don't work they'd argue that they're worse than the buses were etc.

mergatroid

By the way, nice avatar for somebody who's afraid of heights :)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
@RustySpork

I like your "spoilers"...........I click every time......

Every time I click.......I just worry my computer (or phone) is going to say: "self destruct mode in 5,4,3,2........1. Which would probably make me laugh harder.........

thomas998

I've stayed at those hotels. There's always been a bottleneck at peak time. It's called "waiting for the bus in a line with 200 people."

People who create the worse-case scenario for the Skyliner keep forgetting to apply that same scenario to buses, or trying to get in and out of a park's parking lot at peak times.
I'm aware of the bus bottle necks, but at least with the buses you only have the people at your hotel waiting for a bus you don't have buses dropping off more guests to join those lines for a bus to the park... That's the problem I see with the gondolas, suppose you are at the hotel that connect right to a park... well instead of just waiting in line with other guest from your hotel you get another leg of the gondola system dropping off guests from another hotel so they can get in line for the only gondola going from your hotel to the park... that's just a sill way of designing the system.

thomas998

Buses have been slowed down by all the motor scooters. That wastes between 5-10 minutes. It's also why the buses are never on time and then overcrowded causing some people to have to wait for the next bus. The buses have become so unreliable and slow that the continuous people mover process is better.

It also saves cost since you no longer have to pay the bus drivers but can use cast members to unload people from the Gondolas.
The buses are a problem because Disney doesn't have enough running. As for lowering the costs, that's a guess at best. How many cast members will it take to man each entry and exit point, how many specialized mechanics will it take to keep the system running.... I have no clue but I suspect there will be a lot of people working behind the scenes that you or I could imagine. While in theory a continuous people mover may seem better the fact is we don't know nor does Disney know the answer to that until the system gets put in operation. If buses have become too unreliable the it really speaks to the maintenance program Disney is using. I've seen school that operate huge buses systems on a daily basis in a very reliable manner, but then those school transportation systems make reliability a priority, I don't think Disney has made reliability as much of a priority as they have keeping costs down when it comes to transportation but that doesn't mean their bus system could be reliable it just means that Disney doesn't care enough about the system to properly fund it.

thomas998

Buses in some form will certainly be options until Disney is satisfied that the gondolas will fill the need they are designed to fill... but once Disney is satisfied that the gondola does as good of a job as the buses getting people from X to Y then why would Disney continue to use the buses for that route? It would mean that the gondolas aren't helping to cut the costs anywhere and are only adding to the costs, so you can expect that at some point they will cut way back on buses where the gondolas can fill that same need. Maybe even cut them completely for certain routes while knowing that if the gondolas ever break down they could easily pull out buses as a backup.

NormC

The gondolas will move more people per hour than the buses currently running those routes. They are more efficient than the buses and will be quicker than the buses including wait time. The direct buses will be removed from those routes. You will still be able to take a bus but it will not mirror the gondola routes. You may even need to change buses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm aware of the bus bottle necks, but at least with the buses you only have the people at your hotel waiting for a bus you don't have buses dropping off more guests to join those lines for a bus to the park... That's the problem I see with the gondolas,

Oh, really? Let's see the numbers you crunched to reach that conclusion.

nickys

Premium Member
The buses are a problem because Disney doesn't have enough running. As for lowering the costs, that's a guess at best. How many cast members will it take to man each entry and exit point, how many specialized mechanics will it take to keep the system running.... I have no clue but I suspect there will be a lot of people working behind the scenes that you or I could imagine. While in theory a continuous people mover may seem better the fact is we don't know nor does Disney know the answer to that until the system gets put in operation. If buses have become too unreliable the it really speaks to the maintenance program Disney is using. I've seen school that operate huge buses systems on a daily basis in a very reliable manner, but then those school transportation systems make reliability a priority, I don't think Disney has made reliability as much of a priority as they have keeping costs down when it comes to transportation but that doesn't mean their bus system could be reliable it just means that Disney doesn't care enough about the system to properly fund it.

The gondolas are a way to get buses off the roads. They are not a way to improve reliability, they are a greener and more efficient transport system.

nickys

Premium Member

These resorts will (almost certainly) see a price increase, so there will be cheaper options in value and moderate categories.

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately we dont have any other option for travelling to the US from Europe hehe , gotta make exceptions !
Europe has a unbelievable train system so you can get from anywhere in Europe to the Atlantic Ocean. Three years ago I took a cruise ship from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

Rent a car or a bus and, just like magic, you did it without flying. Takes a little while longer, but, it is a known fact that Europeans get massive holiday time.;):D

Goofyernmost

I don't know how many CM's that Disney is planning on using for the Gondola's, But, they have buses running to the resorts about every 20 minutes, very seldom is it the same bus or driver. There are at least 1000 drivers on the payroll. (That is a the number quoted to me when I was looking into applying for a driver position over 10 years ago.) Factor in the number of maintenance people required to keep that fleet running, the cost of fuel for 20 ton vehicles, the cost of changing the oil (about 25 gals. per bus), Tires? At least 6 per vehicle at $300. apiece. Constant daily requirements, touch up, probably daily washing. Cleaning crews to keep the interiors clean, brake replacement, the cost of parts replacement, the size of the garage/maintenance facility itself. And you can put a whole lot of CM's at those five stations on the Gondola line. A bus comes with a whole lot of expense that none of us even think about, but, trust me... it's there and it is enormous.

Where did you get the idea that the buses are unreliable, they are fine, but, they are like that trophy wife, they come with a high cost. They are also smelly and messy and are a prisoner to traffic. I don't want to see any bus drivers laid off, that is the last thing and the most important negative to the change over to Gondola's. However, life and times change. We cannot live in the past forever, at some point we must move forward and even if Disney saves a lot of money, they also are, by default helping the environment and thinking outside the box to put in a new and different thing. Something that once was the hallmark of Disney. There is a very big picture that must be looked at and to inject the lack of maintenance scenario is just grasping at straws. The problem, if anything, maintenance related is that it requires a lot more cost then we can even imagine to do well, which it is doing very well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom