Wait Lines for New Gondolas

Damon7777

a constant moving line will disperse the line quicker, no?

By 'disperse' you mean processing/ servicing guests through the attraction, right.

Not necessarily whatsoever........ It's a case by case basis.
There is no law, none(physical, statistical+matgematical, legal) that tells us that a continuously moving line and ultimately a continuously loading attraction gives a higher throughput than what I like to call "bolus" loading.

Last edited:

ThatMouse

The biggest problem I see is reliability compared to buses, and driving will always be quicker. When Skyline shuts down at EPCOT, the buses are a pretty far walk in rain/lightning.

thomas998

By 'disperse' you mean processing/ servicing guests through the attraction, right.

Not necessarily whatsoever........ It's a case by case basis.
There is no law, none(physical, statistical+matgematical, legal) that tells us that a continuously moving line and ultimately a continuously loading attraction gives a higher throughput than what I like to call "bolus" loading.
Someone convinced people that continuous line is somehow faster than a batch processed line... Not sure why people think that. If you batched 100 people every 5 minutes or had a continuous moving line of 100 people per hour which one will move people along faster... Would be pretty simple to see a batch can move more than a continuous in that scenario and that's the problem no one has ever sat out and looked at the speed of each of the option to see which is really faster. When you look at a Gondola from Pop Century to EPCOT the Gondola estimate I've seen calculated was almost 18 minutes and that may be a vast underestimate because the part you can't calculate is the transfer time when you have to get off one system and then stand in line to get on the next gondola line... .They estimated 5 minutes when if you were going at the beginning of the day when everyone at the hotel where you are at a transfer point is also wanting to get to EPCOT you could easily have a 15 minute or even 30 minute line of people for the gondola... The buses on the other hand aren't going to stop and force people to get off and stand in line for a different bus, nor will they be stuck going 11 mph... they can easily do 4 or 5 times that speed so while you might have to wait for a bus to arrive you may well get to your final destination faster by bus than by gondola.

Storm

Staying at AoA from April 25th to the 7th of may i'm hoping this wont already be the case by the time i get there , i have a fear of heights so the gondolas would probably be a no-no from me. Really hoping busses will still be going from and to AoA even if on a less frequent schedule.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
RE: Continuous Movement in Line

I concur that it doesn't increase throughput. Those who think so are wrong. Very, very wrong.

I mentioned it only because it provides a psychological benefit.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The biggest problem I see is reliability compared to buses, and driving will always be quicker. When Skyline shuts down at EPCOT, the buses are a pretty far walk in rain/lightning.

Whenever there is rain/lightning, it's a pretty far walk to the buses when leaving Epcot, also for those driving themselves. That has always been the case. The Skyliner doesn't change that. But, it does provide a faster time 'home' when it's running.

DisneyJoe

Staying at AoA from April 25th to the 7th of may i'm hoping this wont already be the case by the time i get there , i have a fear of heights so the gondolas would probably be a no-no from me. Really hoping busses will still be going from and to AoA even if on a less frequent schedule.
They aren't supposed to start until Fall 2019

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
When I look at the layout of the tracks I can't see the gondola system being a huge draw for any hotel, the layout suggests that every hotel will likely suffer from bottle necks during peak hours when everyone is wanting to go to the park since no hotel appears to have a direct connect to any park that isn't also going to be hit with a deluge of guest arriving from another hotel and needing to transfer to the outgoing line. I have a feeling it is going to be a cluster when it opens with some very long lines at the transfer points

I've stayed at those hotels. There's always been a bottleneck at peak time. It's called "waiting for the bus in a line with 200 people."

People who create the worse-case scenario for the Skyliner keep forgetting to apply that same scenario to buses, or trying to get in and out of a park's parking lot at peak times.

mergatroid

Here is the problem. Most visitors to Disney aren't going to take the bus or ferry as an attraction. It's simply a mode to get from point a to b. Unfortunately, the gondola will be an attraction so I expect it to have immense wait times. And let's not forget the pathetic Disney bloggers who live and breathe all things Disney who will want to ride at every vantage point possible.

I doubt the number of vloggers there on any given day exceeds the number of people who just randomly decide to go or not go that day, in other words a minimal amount.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I wouldn't be so sure about the buses being quicker. If the bus is at the stop or comes within a few minutes of you getting there, and it doesn't have to load a scoter, then it will probably be faster. If you have to wait 15 minutes for the bus, the you would likely at the park already if you took the gondola. Of course the proximity of your room to the transportation will also figure into this.

mergatroid

I've stayed at those hotels. There's always been a bottleneck at peak time. It's called "waiting for the bus in a line with 200 people."

People who create the worse-case scenario for the Skyliner keep forgetting to apply that same scenario to buses, or trying to get in and out of a park's parking lot at peak times.

Exactly. It's as though Disney has just claimed "We've created a new, exciting mode of transportation which guarantees you no wait, instant access to the parks".

It's a form of transportation, this 'obsession' that some have with finding fault with it and judging it differently to buses, monorails, boats, cars or walking is quite bewildering.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I hate to break this to you, but transportation from the All Stars will be switching to the exclusive use of horses.

I heard its going to be animatronic horses.
1546035491666.png

They won't go very fast.....and if they malfunction.....good luck.....you might end up at Legoland.

Storm

Exactly. It's as though Disney has just claimed "We've created a new, exciting mode of transportation which guarantees you no wait, instant access to the parks".

It's a form of transportation, this 'obsession' that some have with finding fault with it and judging it differently to buses, monorails, boats, cars or walking is quite bewildering.
I think the point is that if it has to be changed it should be for it to be better and not worse/equal

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Just a genuine question.
Do you use the monorail ?

mergatroid

I think the point is that if it has to be changed it should be for it to be better and not worse/equal

Do we know it's not better, worse or equal? Ultimately if people are that worried there's lots of hotels to stay at in Disney without the gondolas. It sounds as though everybody staying in Disney is being forced to use a transportation system that nobody wants and is proven to be worse than what's currently available. For those worrying it will be quite easy to either wait and see reports from others or stay at a different resort if they don't like the options of transport. I see it as something new and different which adds more variety. If you want to use monorails from your hotel then stay at x,y or z. If you want boats or buses choose any from a variety, want a gondola then take your pick too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom