Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

gerarar

Premium Member
I think it's certainly possible that infrastructure requirements to put a gas line in the lake (I assume that's how it works in Fantasmic) are all possible but costly. I also assume that the original story didn't call for it.
Yup! In Fantasmic on either coast, the gas comes out of a multitude of pipes below the water which then floats to the top since its denser.
9B8C342B-3B35-46CA-9534-0AB12D43C4A5.jpeg

33C4F187-F985-4383-9514-AB9BBD18AEE9.jpeg

You can barely make out the gas lines in the WDW birds eye pic, but it’s pretty much the same in DL.

I’m sure it’s doable for the AK lake, it’s just a matter of costs and maintenance. Can the lake be easily drained and accessed when needed/for maintenance? Or would they need to create a rising platform type thing, similar to WoC.

JoeCamel

Yup! In Fantasmic on either coast, the gas comes out of a multitude of pipes below the water which then floats to the top since its denser. View attachment 493059
View attachment 493060
You can barely make out the gas lines in the WDW birds eye pic, but it’s pretty much the same in DL.

I’m sure it’s doable for the AK lake, it’s just a matter of costs and maintenance. Can the lake be easily drained and accessed when needed/for maintenance? Or would they need to create a rising platform type thing, similar to WoC.
You mean less dense I hope.

TrainsOfDisney

Keep in mind that the plan for the show was to have a lot of smaller floats in the lagoon but it didn't work. What we had to judge was not the originally conceived show.

And many more live performers I beleive as well. :-/

My suggestion was more for a future show. Not a fix for rivers.

celluloid

I really dont like the no pyro argument. It could have had way more pyro. It did not have to mean just fireworks. Some fireworks are not even that loud and controlled and synched pyro effects definitely can be impressive.
The cost was just misplaced and ill designed.
The limitations should have been a reason to get creative, but instead they presented something that looked like a night time Entertainment trade show demo.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

If you take away a significant element of anything it's going to be a worse show. If the argument is that the visuals in Rivers of Light are better than the visuals in Illuminations if you don't count the key visual than you're absolutely right. But it's a horrible argument.
I mean, check the flip side - if you added fireworks to Na'vi River Journey or Primeval Whirl I bet their guest satisfation ratings would soar through the roof. Which is really more the argument @marni1971 is making.

They were trying to do a Fireworks Show for the park, only without actual Fireworks. They didn't quite hit the mark of coming up with a sufficient replacement for the fireworks, but the story, fountains, and music didn't bring the show down anymore than the story, fountains, and music ever did at Reflections of Earth. The major difference is really that Illuminations was able to set off real Pyro.

Had they been able to check that box it's likely guests would have had no major issue with any of the show's other elements, the way many of them forgave the quieter "Order" section of RoE because of the massive pyro sections that bookended it. Guests like us tend to appreciate those things anyway because we have some awareness of the story - lots of more-casual guests could give rat's and just want to see Fireworks.

The show has been rumored to be closing for years. Everyone who works/ed there wouldn't have been surprised if the show was finally closed. And I can't blame people for finding those rumors credible because Disney hasn't put any significant investment into the attraction in such a long time. Overall, the show still stands up remarkably well in my opinion and is popular especially with people trying to just escape the Florida heat for a few minutes. But the film projection looks SO BAD and the fact that the company didn't convert it to digital like so many other attractions seemed like confirmation that the show would be replaced soon. Heck the only updated thing this attraction has received (that I've noticed) is a new dress for Ariel relatively recently. But I think Imagineering still hasn't decided on a replacement for that space and they won't announce the attraction's closing until they do. It was never going to reopen after the closure due to the sheer amount of water/fog/haze effects that would put guests and cast at risk for exposure to COVID-19. Will it reopen ever? Who knows. Probably not even Disney.

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
The show has been rumored to be closing for years. Everyone who works/ed there wouldn't have been surprised if the show was finally closed. And I can't blame people for finding those rumors credible because Disney hasn't put any significant investment into the attraction in such a long time. Overall, the show still stands up remarkably well in my opinion and is popular especially with people trying to just escape the Florida heat for a few minutes. But the film projection looks SO BAD and the fact that the company didn't convert it to digital like so many other attractions seemed like confirmation that the show would be replaced soon. Heck the only updated thing this attraction has received (that I've noticed) is a new dress for Ariel relatively recently. But I think Imagineering still hasn't decided on a replacement for that space and they won't announce the attraction's closing until they do. It was never going to reopen after the closure due to the sheer amount of water/fog/haze effects that would put guests and cast at risk for exposure to COVID-19. Will it reopen ever? Who knows. Probably not even Disney.

It won't reopen. That was decided a long time ago. Once the archive team came in to take posterity images and scans of everything, the writing was on the wall. The whole pandemic thing was a great excuse to finally kill something they have wanted to for year.

Now, black box? Don't know about that. I have posted before about the general plan for that entire area, I don't know if that is still the plan or not. But gutting the building and turning it into something major in the next year is off the table. Gutting it and turning it into something temporary is very much still on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom