Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
I mentioned a few months back that super high resolution pictures of the props from Voyage of the Little Mermaid we taken for archival purposes to prepare for the eventual closure. Just found out from the same source the plan is to not open it again once Hollywood Studios re-opens. It is done.

Sad that some castmembers won't be rehired for it, but the writing has been on the wall for a bit I think.

Sharon&Susan

I haven't been keeping up with the WDW rumors, but Disney's planning to replace this with the interchangeable black box ride, correct?

Or is this another case where Disney closes something without having any idea what's going to replace it, similar to SGE or WOL?

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
I haven't been keeping up with the WDW rumors, but Disney's planning to replace this with the interchangeable black box ride, correct?

Or is this another case where Disney closes something without having any idea what's going to replace it, similar to SGE or WOL?

I don't know the specifics, but I would think it is a cost saving effort now. The show has become less and less popular over recent years, but since it requires talent, it is expensive to run. The props/effects have been having problems for the last few years. Even if it stays empty for a bit, it would still be a cost savings.

brb1006

The only highlight of that show was the giant Ursula puppet.
6332974972_43b171701a_b.jpg

celluloid

I know it is also because it is indoors and has a small preshow gathering area as its standby(and costly)
but if this goes before The Beauty And The Beast stage show, something is really wrong. Even though they, along with any street entertainment are likely all gone.

Bye Bye Frozen sing along if that is the case too. If it is really anything about safety, then a large gathering of that many people belting their breaths to sing along is a bad idea.

The Grand Inquisitor

Don't forget the massive dog:
View attachment 465757
1587761157787.png

Don't forget the Under the Sea portion is awesome as well! :) This really stinks. It's a good thing I saw it back in August. This was the last show at Disney World that use these types of puppets. It's a big shame. What's going to replace it? I thought rumors were that a Monsters Inc land was going to take over Animation Courtyard?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom