Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

RSoxNo1

Rivers of Light?

The original Rivers of Light was fantastic. Second best night time show I've seen at Disney behind Illuminations. The changed version looked awful, though.
You're allowed to like it, but it was an objectively bad show. Surveys indicated it, and while surveys aren't flawless it definitely tested poorly.

Speaking personally, it was all valley and no peaks. A well balanced show has both (which is why Illuminations was so popular here).

The music was very good, but the visuals were inconsistent at best.

DCLcruiser

You're allowed to like it, but it was an objectively bad show. Surveys indicated it, and while surveys aren't flawless it definitely tested poorly.

Speaking personally, it was all valley and no peaks. A well balanced show has both (which is why Illuminations was so popular here).

I saw it for the first time September 2019, it was pretty cool. The only downside I could see is that you have to use a dinner package or a FP to get good seats.

UNCgolf

It wasn't objectively bad. It was subjectively bad. It's not surprising it tested poorly, because it wasn't a flashy fireworks show full of IP. It was a bit too high-minded for the average Disney guest.

As much as Illuminations was liked overall, there were a ton of people that disliked the middle section because it wasn't flashy. I heard that complaint constantly.

RSoxNo1

It wasn't objectively bad. It was subjectively bad. It's not surprising it tested poorly, because it wasn't a flashy fireworks show full of IP. It was a bit too high-minded for the average Disney guest.

As much as Illuminations was liked overall, there were a ton of people that disliked the middle section because it wasn't flashy. I heard that complaint constantly.
When I say it was objectively bad, I'm referring to the fact that the visuals were inconsistent (highly contingent on wind and technical malfunctions).

Agreed with you on Illuminations, and while it's my favorite show, the middle "valley" as I called it could have been modernized to potentially extend the life of that show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

When I say it was objectively bad, I'm referring to the fact that the visuals were inconsistent (highly contingent on wind and technical malfunctions).

Agreed with you on Illuminations, and while it's my favorite show, the middle "valley" as I called it could have been modernized to potentially extend the life of that show.
I dare without pyro, ROE would be given the same verdict. How many guests realised there was a structured story, what the symbolisms meant and how deep it went? A particular show manager used to love giving VIPs a running commentary of the story. Guests didn’t realise there was one and lapped it up.

Had RoL had - and been able to have had - the same pyro treatment it’s likely to have been infinitely more successful .

RSoxNo1

I dare without pyro, ROE would be given the same verdict. How many guests realised there was a structured story, what the symbolisms meant and how deep it went?

Had RoL had - and been able to have had - the same pyro treatment it’s likely to have been infinitely more popular.
Right, but it didn't have pyro and Illuminations did. That's a horrible argument. If you take away the roller coaster part of Space Mountain it's a significantly worse attraction...

Rivers of Light had no pyro (because it couldn't) and failed to have a suitable replacement for the pyro. The goal was to have more visuals on the water but technical issues hindered that. The mist screens were also very hit or miss as well. Even still, the best version of that show (as infrequently as that happened) never delivered anything remotely close to the first piece of concept art.

This discussion as well as the deep dive on this week's Disney Dish has me thinking that this would be a great armchair imagineerin thought exercise. Come up with a story and show concept for that lagoon that satisfies all of the restrictions of being in DAK and being put in that space. It is certainly not an easy task as evident by how difficulty a time Disney has had with it.

RSoxNo1

Each to their own.
If you take away a significant element of anything it's going to be a worse show. If the argument is that the visuals in Rivers of Light are better than the visuals in Illuminations if you don't count the key visual than you're absolutely right. But it's a horrible argument.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you take away a significant element of anything it's going to be a worse show. If the argument is that the visuals in Rivers of Light are better than the visuals in Illuminations if you don't count the key visual than you're absolutely right. But it's a horrible argument.
Each to their own.

UNCgolf

Ah, yeah -- that was definitely an issue. I was lucky when I saw it that everything was working basically perfectly and there weren't any wind issues.

KaliSplash

I dare without pyro, ROE would be given the same verdict. How many guests realised there was a structured story, what the symbolisms meant and how deep it went? A particular show manager used to love giving VIPs a running commentary of the story. Guests didn’t realise there was one and lapped it up.

Had RoL had - and been able to have had - the same pyro treatment it’s likely to have been infinitely more successful .
I guess I am one of the unwashed masses. I Never saw a story in ROE. I saw fireworks, I saw a green ball in the middle of the lake. I saw more fireworks. End of story. Never impressed with this. Also never saw a story in ROL, but I did get that We Are One.

TrainsOfDisney

Come up with a story and show concept for that lagoon that satisfies all of the restrictions of being in DAK and being put in that space. It is certainly not an easy task as evident by how difficulty a time Disney has had with it.

They needed triple the amount of fountain barges and program it like world of color. Done.

There isn’t any restriction on low level and quiet pyro correct? They should be able to do sparklers in the lake, fire in the lake, spinners, comets, etc. I would think.

RSoxNo1

They needed triple the amount of fountain barges and program it like world of color. Done.

There isn’t any restriction on low level and quiet pyro correct? They should be able to do sparklers in the lake, fire in the lake, spinners, comets, etc. I would think.
I would think that additional fire effects, fire on the lake, low level sparklers etc would all be fine. I think it's certainly possible that infrastructure requirements to put a gas line in the lake (I assume that's how it works in Fantasmic) are all possible but costly. I also assume that the original story didn't call for it.

Keep in mind that the plan for the show was to have a lot of smaller floats in the lagoon but it didn't work. What we had to judge was not the originally conceived show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom