Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This was a favorite of my daughter's and thus a must do for the whole family for the last decade. Lots of sadness when I shared this news. Luckily, they opened that terrible Cars thing just in time to fill the void.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
As long as they serve up everybody a small dish of gumbo at the end, I'm in!

How about a platter of fresh beignets? TBH, I'd be really happy with the gumbo. With etouffee. With jambalaya. With red beans and rice. bananas foster. Mufaletta. Po boys. Wait. Princess and the Frog dinner theater (due to popularity there would also be seating at lunch time). Think 11, 1, 4, 6, and 8. Purpose built building. Some firefly effects and such out in the dining area while you eat and watch the show. Or Princess and the Frog in the VotLM show building and Tiana's opens nearby. Another restaurant in DHS doesn't hurt.

Donaldfan1934

I found it odd - live actors and puppets and then...it was kind of like they ran out of money so they decided to just play the movie to wrap it all up. The quality of the film was awful the last time I was there too. The Ursula puppet was still sweet, though.

I'm probably not the person for these shows, though. Nemo, Mermaid, and Frozen are just too much recreation of (or clips from) the movie for my taste. I think The Lion King is really the only one I like.
In all honesty I would rather see Animation Courtyard demolished and have something completely new replace that plot of land and connect it to the back of Tower of Terror.
These pretty much sums up my thoughts on the show and what it should be replaced by. I would normally elaborate further, but I couldn’t put it better than you two without sounding redundant or meandering.

As for the discussion on the dark ride that seems to have taken over this thread, I understand the criticism towards Disney overspending on the attraction, especially if the refurb costs being thrown around here are correct. I also understand some of the criticism towards the ride itself and why the changes it recieved needed to be made. However, I don’t get why a number of members here are painting it out to be this legendarily terrible thing. Seriously, the ride in it’s current state is passable at it’s absolute worst and there are so many other aspects of the parks that are far more worthy of such harsh critiques.

UNCgolf

However, I don’t get why a number of members here are painting it out to be this legendarily terrible thing. Seriously, the ride in it’s current state is passable at it’s absolute worst and there are so many other aspects of the parks that are far more worthy of such harsh critiques.

You have to look at it in context, I think. In a vacuum, it's not absolutely terrible. It's definitely below Disney standards, but it could be far worse. When you consider how much they spent on it, though, it has to at least be in the running for worst cost-to-quality ratio for any ride ever built.

I personally think it's one of the worst rides on WDW property (not the worst, but very near the bottom) regardless of cost, but that's all opinion.

Donaldfan1934

You have to look at it in context, I think. In a vacuum, it's not absolutely terrible. It's definitely below Disney standards, but it could be far worse. When you consider how much they spent on it, though, it has to at least be in the running for worst cost-to-quality ratio for any ride ever built.

I personally think it's one of the worst rides on WDW property (not the worst, but very near the bottom) regardless of cost, but that's all opinion.
As I said in my original post, I totally get why cost-to-quality ratio is bad, but I can’t think of anything exceptionally terrible about the attraction in its current state outside of that context. I can think of standout positives such as the post-refurb Under the Sea scene and the Ursala animatronic, but nothing so awful that it ruins the ride for me. While I totally respect differences in opinion and how context can influence them, the more extreme negative stances on it just seem a bit too hyperbolic as far as I’m concerned.

TrainsOfDisney

As I said in my original post, I totally get why cost-to-quality ratio is bad, but I can’t think of anything exceptionally terrible about the attraction in its current state outside of that context. I can think of standout positives such as the post-refurb Under the Sea scene and the Ursala animatronic, but nothing so awful that it ruins the ride for me. While I totally respect differences in opinion and how context can influence them, the more extreme negative stances on it just seem a bit too hyperbolic as far as I’m concerned.

I get that. I think for me it’s just 2 different things. It’s a super cheap ride in some places (plastic fish glued to the wall, plastic water being spit from plastic fish in a plastic looking lake...) and then in other places they spent big money like on the Ursula and “I wanna be where the people are” scene.

Either go all out and make it an e-ticket. Or keep it on the level of Winnie the Pooh in MK.

It’s still enjoyable though.

Donaldfan1934

I get that. I think for me it’s just 2 different things. It’s a super cheap ride in some places (plastic fish glued to the wall, plastic water being spit from plastic fish in a plastic looking lake...) and then in other places they spent big money like on the Ursula and “I wanna be where the people are” scene.

Either go all out and make it an e-ticket. Or keep it on the level of Winnie the Pooh in MK.

That’s a completely valid take. Although I personally have never been too bothered with how the ride combined e-ticket and classic dark ride elements, I can absolutely see why it doesn’t sit as well with others like yourself. It certainly makes it a difficult ride to classify, that’s for sure.

UNCgolf

See, I think the post-refurb Under the Sea scene is still terrible, which is a big part of the problem with the ride. It has some good elements, but they're mixed in with stuff that's so incredibly cheap that it really ruins the scene overall.

I don't think it's terrible, but it is still one of the worst rides at WDW (it would rank much higher at a lot of other parks, but that's why I say it's not really up to Disney standards). I think it's probably in the bottom 5 on property, unless I'm forgetting some rides (and, to be fair, I'm not counting stuff like Dumbo, Aladdin, etc. which barely count as rides to me).

lazyboy97o

The ride is a D-Ticket with the cost and size of an E-Ticket that is justified as a C-Ticket.

Donaldfan1934

See, I think the post-refurb Under the Sea scene is still terrible, which is a big part of the problem with the ride. It has some good elements, but they're mixed in with stuff that's so incredibly cheap that it really ruins the scene overall.

I don't think it's terrible, but it is still one of the worst rides at WDW (it would rank much higher at a lot of other parks, but that's why I say it's not really up to Disney standards). I think it's probably in the bottom 5 on property, unless I'm forgetting some rides (and, to be fair, I'm not counting stuff like Dumbo, Aladdin, etc. which barely count as rides to me).
So, basically, you have the same issue with the clash of styles that @TrainChasers has. Got it. Not surprised to see others feel the same way.

Animaniac93-98

IF VotLM does close, those hoping for a replacement, better temper their expectations.

Can’t have the DHS attraction count going up too much.

The Sindbad show at IoA closed September 2018 and any replacement for it is still years away at this point.

I could see something similar happening to Mermaid or other WDW shows.

TrainsOfDisney

I just realized... maybe this will be the new meet and greet for little mermaid. Aerial stays safely on her shell and flips her fins at you.

Oh yeah... here’s Disney’s excuse to replace photopass with automated cameras.... for safety!

JoeCamel

I just realized... maybe this will be the new meet and greet for little mermaid. Aerial stays safely on her shell and flips her fins at you.

Oh yeah... here’s Disney’s excuse to replace photopass with automated cameras.... for safety!
If they put her behind a plexi wall it would work, be like she is in a tank 😄 😄 😄 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom