Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

UNCgolf

I’m sure it will get something, but another show is so much easier. Honestly, I like Indy but it is outdoors and prime real estate. If they wanted to remove something, remove it to make room for a big E-ticket down the line (one will be necessary this decade).

I really meant that I don't think the Black Box attraction is going to happen (regardless of location). They don't even update shows that have been running for decades; it's hard to believe they have have the interest/willingness to spend money to regularly change an attraction like that. Creating all new CG animation (or whatever else they do) isn't a quick or cheap process. If it actually does get built, it's likely to stay exactly the same for years with people eventually going "hey, wasn't this the thing that was supposed to give them the ability to change it regularly?"

I agree that another show there is far more likely than tearing the building down (or gutting it) for a new build.

ToTBellHop

I really meant that I don't think the Black Box attraction is going to happen (regardless of location). They don't even update shows that have been running for decades; it's hard to believe they have have the interest/willingness to spend money to regularly change an attraction like that. Creating all new CG animation (or whatever else they do) isn't a quick or cheap process. If it actually does get built, it's likely to stay exactly the same for years with people eventually going "hey, wasn't this the thing that was supposed to give them the ability to change it regularly?"

I agree that another show there is far more likely than tearing the building down (or gutting it) for a new build.
I agree with that, as well. I was always skeptical. Remember the Midway Mania updates that were planned? Doesn’t get much easier than changing a video game, and yet they’ve updated (I believe) once.

UNCgolf

It's a massive land with almost nowhere to get food or sit down to eat it.

It makes no sense.

It's the second land they've built recently with a ton of empty space. It's obviously much better than Toy Story Land in that it's all themed (even if some of it is just fake rocks) and there's far more to do, but it's still not exactly the pinnacle of design.

I don't know how Pandora compares to either in terms of overall size, but Pandora feels like there's at least something interesting to see everywhere you look.

Animaniac93-98

It's the second land they've built recently with a ton of empty space. It's obviously much better than Toy Story Land in that it's all themed (even if some of it is just fake rocks) and there's far more to do, but it's still not exactly the pinnacle of design.

I don't know how Pandora compares to either in terms of overall size, but Pandora feels like there's at least something interesting to see everywhere you look.

I don't know why there's so much empty space. Most of the things to do in the land (Cantina, shops, restaurants) don't have much square footage to them. For the crowds, I guess? Beyond the lack of shade and air conditioning in many shops, eateries and streets, it's just time consuming to go from one ride to the other because they're on opposite ends of the land.

It's especially odd at Disneyland because the rest of the park is not like that at all.

doctornick

Some of us actually like shows and consider them a welcome counterpoint to rides.

One of the things I really was thinking about during my most recent trip was how wonderful it is in MK that every land has at least one indoor show. This provide such a great compliment to the rides in each land where they is generally an option for a short wait where you can relax/sit in A/C and enjoy a change of pace.

The other parks in WDW need that too. Epcot kind of used to when the FW pavilions were more complete experiences. But DAK and DHS would both benefit from a better ratio of rides with some shows in each land.

doctornick

Eh. All three of them really need a third attraction* - and a show would have been perfect for all, not even necessarily a ride - that would have rounded out all of the lands better in terms of "things to do". I feel like both Pandora and SWGE suffer from having one great attraction, one fine attraction that is better with a shorter wait and then not enough else to do to occupy your time. Pandora also suffers because it's just kinda far from anything else in the park so its a hassle to leave and circle back to.

*yes, I know TSL has a third attraction with TSMM but should have been 3 new ones.

UNCgolf

Eh. All three of them really need a third attraction* - and a show would have been perfect for all, not even necessarily a ride - that would have rounded out all of the lands better in terms of "things to do". I feel like both Pandora and SWGE suffer from having one great attraction, one fine attraction that is better with a shorter wait and then not enough else to do to occupy your time. Pandora also suffers because it's just kinda far from anything else in the park so its a hassle to leave and circle back to.

*yes, I know TSL has a third attraction with TSMM but should have been 3 new ones.

I actually almost said this in my original post. Pandora could definitely use a third attraction, but even with that it still feels more complete than the others. It's really a hierarchy where Pandora > SWGE >>>> TSL, though, since I think TSL is maybe the worst area Disney has ever built. SWGE and Pandora both dwarf it in terms of things to see/do.

Pandora is just lucky in that visuals of the land itself is part of the draw. It's why I've said from the start that SWGE should have been a more visually distinctive location. I also think that the two Pandora attractions are better overall than the two in SWGE. I haven't been on Rise yet, but I think I'll like it more than FoP -- but I also think NRJ is vastly superior to Smugglers Run. Again, TSL isn't even in the running here unless you count TSMM, but I actually think TSMM is one of the worst rides at Disney so that doesn't help it for me (I know that's a minority opinion).

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I actually almost said this in my original post. Pandora could definitely use a third attraction, but even with that it still feels more complete than the others. It's really a hierarchy where Pandora > SWGE >>>> TSL, though, since I think TSL is maybe the worst area Disney has ever built. SWGE and Pandora both dwarf it in terms of things to see/do.

Pandora is just lucky in that visuals of the land itself is part of the draw. It's why I've said from the start that SWGE should have been a more visually distinctive location. I also think that the two Pandora attractions are better overall than the two in SWGE. I haven't been on Rise yet, but I think I'll like it more than FoP -- but I also think NRJ is vastly superior to Smugglers Run. Again, TSL isn't even in the running here unless you count TSMM, but I actually think TSMM is one of the worst rides at Disney so that doesn't help it for me (I know that's a minority opinion).

I think Galaxy's edge was designed to have a lot more going on in that empty space - lots of streetmosphere, entertainment, unscheduled "shows", but it all got cut.

Casper Gutman

No sit-down, in general, in SWGE was a laughably short-sighted decision. It would print money!
Yup. As a larger issue, Star Wars land, based on a franchise with a ton of weird creatures, humanoid and otherwise, doesn’t feature many weird creatures. The headliner has one, a member of a race with two AAs at Star Tours already, and a bunch of normal humans. A cantina full of aliens and/or a ride focused on alien beasts would be great. Amazingly, Pandora has the exact same problem.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think Galaxy's edge was designed to have a lot more going on in that empty space - lots of streetmosphere, entertainment, unscheduled "shows", but it all got cut.

I think that's probably true, considering a few of the things that we know were planned and then cut. That excuses the design to an extent, but doesn't help with the reality of how it feels when visiting.

pdude81

I've heard animation courtyard should go for a decade or more, seems to be a glaring problem to many
I really like One Man's Dream and launch bay, but they are not must do attractions each trip. They made other poor decisions with layout in the previous two build-outs, so that's what they have left to work with I think.

pdude81

Is Star Wars Lunch Bay still closed? Is the only thing even open in Animation Courtyard right now Disney Jr?
Meet and greets are still shut down, so no Monsters or Star Wars character meets (although I think Monsters had closed pre pandemic). You can tour the stuff in the launch bay (helmets, light sabers, ships) and Walt Disney Presents (pictures, drawings, old props), as well as see One Man's Dream in the theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom