Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

Disneyson

That's an interesting thought experiment, to distribute IP chronologically.

But, Disney never wants its parks to feel historical, but contemporary. Somewhat understandably, but also regrettably. Each park is at its best when it feels like a product of its time. That creates a unison between form and content, and theme, atmosphere, general feel. As simple as Spiderman feeling misplaced on Main Street, but not Alice in Wonderland. A certain mid-century feel.

To which, DHS for me precisely is the renaissance park. It shares its very birthyear with Mermaid. Which brings us back to the point above - the early Eisner era is in this parks dna, its historical era. Mermaid and BatB in DHS feel as organic as Mickey on Main Street.
I wonder if this is the reason that I personally don’t blink at Lion King and Pocahontas in Animal Kingdom, but it always occurs to me when they try to pop Bambi into the park. Not that it’s a bad thing at all, just far more noticeable.

Animaniac93-98

I wonder if this is the reason that I personally don’t blink at Lion King and Pocahontas in Animal Kingdom, but it always occurs to me when they try to pop Bambi into the park. Not that it’s a bad thing at all, just far more noticeable.

Lion King and Pocahontas were part of the park from day 1. We've never known AK without them, so we don't think twice about it.

But I also agree that all three of those things happening within a 4-year span (1994-1998) reflects the Disney of that time.

Animaniac93-98

To which, DHS for me precisely is the renaissance park. It shares its very birthyear with Mermaid. Which brings us back to the point above - the early Eisner era is in this parks dna, its historical era.

And now the most "Eisner" of the parks is being remade in Iger's image with an emphasis on Frozen, Rey Star Wars, the current Mickey cartoon at the centre etc. All things from his time as CEO.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
No one bats an eye when they use Jungle Book though. Maybe because it fits too well.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Really think a Tangled show would do well, it’s also (minus Pascal and Maximus) an entirely human cast so it should be fairly easy to stage.
Just do Maximus the same way they do Sphen in Frozen.
ftmow4757746134.jpg

Freshee61

Really think a Tangled show would do well, it’s also (minus Pascal and Maximus) an entirely human cast so it should be fairly easy to stage.
I ❤️agree. Rapunzel deserves more than a bathroom🤨. Rapunzel is a Way better movie & princess than frozen I M O.
as much as I love this mermaid show a rapunzel show would lessen the blow. BUT I’m going to miss this show

pdude81

Am I alone in really liking Voyage of the Little Mermaid? Its age is what gave it so much of its appeal. I will miss it.
It was a cute show and I enjoyed it. Certainly better than the nothing they leave us with given no announcement. Now if they are going to give us a land with more than 2 attractions given everything they'll bulldoze, then maybe all will be forgiven.

Brer Panther

Princess and the Frog and Tangled should have replaced Mermaid and Beast 10 years ago.
I think that's a great idea. The Princess and the Frog in particular would be a great fit for a blacklit puppet show in the style of Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Just imagine what they'd do for "Friends on the Other Side" and the bayou scenes.

brb1006

Lion King and Pocahontas were part of the park from day 1. We've never known AK without them, so we don't think twice about it.

But I also agree that all three of those things happening within a 4-year span (1994-1998) reflects the Disney of that time.
I still own my VHS copy of "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" which contained a teaser for Animal Kingdom which opened that year. Same with a plastic bottle that featured Simba, Timon, Pumba, Rafiki, and Zazu that I brought from my second trip to WDW back in 2006 which featured a family of gorillas on part that the straw was connected in.

Casper Gutman

It was a cute show and I enjoyed it. Certainly better than the nothing they leave us with given no announcement. Now if they are going to give us a land with more than 2 attractions given everything they'll bulldoze, then maybe all will be forgiven.
Despite excellent performers, both VotLM and B&B were lackluster shows even when they first opened. I have two distinct memories of being disappointed by WDW before it’s decline fully began. By far the worse is watching Food Rocks for the first time and realizing EPCOT was in real trouble. The second was watching Voyage for the first time.

It is one of the cruelest ironies of the last two decades at WDW that the least impressive attractions are the ones that tend to survive.

TrainsOfDisney

Despite excellent performers, both VotLM and B&B were lackluster shows even when they first opened. I have two distinct memories of being disappointed by WDW before it’s decline fully began. By far the worse is watching Food Rocks for the first time and realizing EPCOT was in real trouble. The second was watching Voyage for the first time.

It is one of the cruelest ironies of the last two decades at WDW that the least impressive attractions are the ones that tend to survive.
What did you think of Racing Academy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom