'Villains Unleashed' hard ticketed event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in August

Stevek

Wowzer. Just catching up with friends after the event. Friends that should know.

What a mess.

I guess they didn't learn enough from last year.
Yep, you'd think people would know. But do you really think the hardcore fanbase is ever going to miss these events? No way, they've drunk too much Disney Kool Aid and none of them want to be the person that wasn't there or didn't get their merchandise. I mean, imagine how it would feel to show up at the next WDW Disney parks blog meet and be shunned by others in attendance because you weren't at the Villains night.

Now they all get to come back and whine about how bad it was.

Dad 2 M & M

Was the parking detour as big a mess as it seemed? The way I go home from work, I pass just about every sign going towards Celebration, and while most of them told you where to turn, I noticed the sign off the exit ramp from Osceola taking you south onto World drive did NOT say where to go. It just said "Studios Parking Detour" (or whatever it was). I myself even wondered, "Does that mean they stay in this lane and take the exit, or do they go straight to get onto World Drive?"

........the sign didn't direct them to change lanes to avoid taking that immediate exit ramp BACK onto Osceola, every just basically stayed in their lane and ended up making circle after continuous circle.

Even if they knew where they were going and got it right the first time, good grief, it was like a 20 minute detour!
YES! We ONLY made 1 additional loop and went straight the 2nd time.....

Additional comment about confusing; most of the detour was guided by temp digital signs and a couple said "Follow signs to Disney". On the first loop I didn't realize that meant "follow permanent roadside signs" and assumed more temp signs would direct in correct direction. I assumed the entire detour would be guided by the temps....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Big photo gallery from Villains Unleashed

http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/vill...g2014-villains-unleashed-event-highlights.htm

DSC01688.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01643.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

Last edited:

natatomic

YES! We ONLY made 1 additional loop and went straight the 2nd time.....

Additional comment about confusing; most of the detour was guided by temp digital signs and a couple said "Follow signs to Disney". On the first loop I didn't realize that meant "follow permanent roadside signs" and assumed more temp signs would direct in correct direction. I assumed the entire detour would be guided by the temps....

I figured! I thought, "Okay, I'm pretty sure people are supposed to go straight here instead of taking the exit ramp, but the sign isn't clear, and if *I* am unsure about this detour, so are 99% of guests, and they'll probably get it wrong!" Man, that dumb on Disney's part.

Dad 2 M & M

I figured! I thought, "Okay, I'm pretty sure people are supposed to go straight here instead of taking the exit ramp, but the sign isn't clear, and if *I* am unsure about this detour, so are 99% of guests, and they'll probably get it wrong!" Man, that dumb on Disney's part.
Monsoon @ 5ish didn't help...and we don't normally drive to the park...use Disney transport....only other negative last night was merchandising....wanted Ts and couldn't wait that long for the privilege to buy that $32 t-shirt....will go again for sure...it WAS a BLAST!!

MKCP 1985

I thought the offerings were pretty much excellent. People who wanted photos with villains could get most of the villains they liked - not necessarily more than 2 and not necessarily do anything else- or people could watch the special Club Evil or Oogie Boogie shows or take advantage of short wait times for the major rides. But you could not do it all, so I don't get the comments about the event not selling well. I'd hate to see it any bigger.

I agree with the observations about the merchandise and the traffic. Going home today without the expensive t-shirt because it was just too difficult when *I* realized there was only 1 place in the park where it could be bought and there was yet another line to get in the store. To me, Disney sort of made up for that shortcoming by giving free goodie bags at the exit with Maleficent pins and dark chocolate. And the Maleficent cupcake was delicious.

It was a great night -

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Interesting to hear the wide differences in opinion. A/A+ to absolute failure, apocolyptic.
Doesn't surprise me anymore......My expectation was lower crowd and shorter ride lines....surpassed that one for sure....don't know what to think about the merch...

71jason

Or they could, you know, have the Villains available more regularly outside of events. Cut down the demand for them like I said before.

I don't think it's the IP--it's trying to do an event for 12k guests with meet-and-gropes as the primary draw. The capacity just isn't there, especially with just one character meeting. Do this event with Frozen or even Disney Afternoon, same result.

(Although I'd love to see more of the villains, don't get me wrong.)

NMBC1993

I thought this new muppet film was a flop according to that panther fellow. Why was the line for Constantine so long?

Because Constantine is the #1 criminal and the best part of Muppets Most Wanted! I (almost) dropped the $70 just to see him because, as you said many considered the film a flop and this might be the last chance we'll see Constantine performing live.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't. Standing in line for 2+ hours at an exclusive event guests spent money to attend? No thanks, I'll just watch the Youtube videos of the event. At least with last years event you could blame it on being included with park admission, which meant everyone under the sun would attend. This time, it seems TDO just thought about doing the exact same thing, but charging money for it. Which isn't bad, but if your going to do it for one night only, you've got to bring the capacity down (especially at DHS).

On the flip side, I'll hopefully be able to attend tomorrow's special appearance featuring Matt Vogel...with my plush Constantine in hand, hoping to get a signature :)

PhotoDave219

Was the parking detour as big a mess as it seemed? The way I go home from work, I pass just about every sign going towards Celebration and I4, and while most of them told you where to turn, I noticed the sign off the exit ramp from Osceola taking you south onto World drive did NOT say where to go. It just said "Studios Parking Detour" (or whatever it was). I myself even wondered, "Does that mean they stay in this lane and take the exit, or do they go straight to get onto World Drive?" Well, once I got near that blinking traffic light just off property, I realized that cars were SUPPOSED to go straight, because there was another sign there directing cars to turn right at the light, which would take them back to 192, and from there they'd get to the DHS main toll plaza.

However, before, when I was turning off of Osceola, I noticed a HUGE line of cars at that last light (the one right over the bridge above the McDonald's...imagine you were coming from DAK and going to any of the other three parks - THAT light). I couldn't even SEE the end of the line. I thought it was weird so many people would be coming from that direction, at first. My guess is that once people got off Osceola and the sign didn't direct them to change lanes to avoid taking that immediate exit ramp BACK onto Osceola, everyone just basically stayed in that lane and ended up making circle after continuous circle.

Even if they knew where they were going and got it right the first time, good grief, it was like a 20 minute detour!

The detour was "Enter off World Drive from 192/I-4." They should have publicised that.

71jason

Interesting to hear the wide differences in opinion. A/A+ to absolute failure, apocolyptic.

Considering most of the people I saw criticizing the event last night from inside were hard core Disney fans--dare I say "lifestylers"?--and since the primary defense I've seen on these boards was a first post in The Spirited Thread rather than here ... I think I know where the A+ grades are coming from.

doctornick

So, with the dance party and appearance by Star Lord and Gamora pretty conclusively indicate that Guardians of the Galaxy is freely available for Disney to use in WDW? There might be issues with some of the bad guys in the film, but I would love to see them develop an attraction out of that franchise -- maybe in TL replacing Stich or Laugh Floor (with the latter moving to DHS)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom