News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

doctornick

I was surprised and thrilled when this artwork popped up last night.

The trajectory, as it was explained to me, was that these projects were a bit volatile because of the ballooning cost of building the as-envisioned BBTM project. When the leading proposal was the Mesa Village of Coco transitioning immediately past BTMRR which then brought you to a dark woodline as the path continued into a Dark Kingdom concept, the cost projections to achieve suitability were skyrocketing. A direction explored here was a treatment of Villains that created a bizzaro village where they'd set up camp. This is when I started warning about expectations. Showing the OG concept art last night and promising 2 major attractions, the right proposal for the property was chosen.

I'm concerned that the Cars projects got the nod because they could fit on the remains of TSI/ROA, allowing them to do a less-expensive and smaller single-phase BBTM with Villains. Reading the tea leaves from last night, this seems to fit.

Or, if Cars and Villains are both going in the "big loop" BBTM original vision, the ballooning costs of that project could have been enough to kill the was-ready-to-go-months-ago Moana project.
I appreciate the info but completely don’t understand how doing a loop above the RoA would be so much more costly than closing and filling in the river. Except for saving the operating costs of RoA/TSI/boats.

Willmark

I feel the same with a 4-year-old… don’t love it but he’ll likely be 9 or 10 by the time it’s finished. I think the placement puts Villains Land in a precarious position though. The “not family friendly” factor could easily result in cold feet, especially if a recession hits. I think this land would be safer elsewhere, location at MK adds a potential chopping block factor.
His kids will likely be 9-10 by the time Disney finishes it. /s

Tha Realest

Two rides is nothing for what a proper land deserves
It can work, if the two rides are Haunted Mansion and POTC, interspersed with good dining and small shops.

It doesn’t work if the two rides are ROTR and MFSR, and a bunch of shops selling stuff loosely connected to a divisive series of films.

DisDude33

It can work, if the two rides are Haunted Mansion and POTC, interspersed with good dining and small shops.

It doesn’t work if the two rides are ROTR and MFSR, and a bunch of shops selling stuff loosely connected to a divisive series of films.
ROTR would probably be considered the greatest thing Disney Parks ever did if they hadn’t rushed it and made it in a way that causes it to brake down constantly.

Unfortunately it had to be rushed because everyone complained about how long it was taking.

DCLcruiser

Two rides is basically what we have in most of the parks. Pandora has 2. Tropical Americas has 2. Ignoring carousels and such.

MK
FL = Splash/BTMR
AL = POTC/JC
LS = HM/HoPresidents
TL = SM/Buzz (pre Tron) ...Speedway, is that really "Tomorrow?"
FL = SW/PP/Dumbo (ok 3, plus Casey area).

fgmnt

I'm really interested to see how far they will go with this coaster. Will Epic push them to make this MK coaster their most intense yet? Or will they play safe with it being located in MK.
My guess on most to least intense on property:
- RnR
- EE
- Tron
- Villains
- SM
- Door
- SDD
- BTMR
- 7D
- Barnstormer

FigmentFan82

So it seems like maybe Moana got shelved for the time being and it’s budget was given to BBTM I & II so that those won’t be value engineered and done right?
I’d hope that maybe after Moana 2 releases and if it does big box office bucks that they will then give the Moana attraction a budget again. Moana is destined to continue to be a huge money maker with merch and such, so the attraction should happen sooner than later

Ghost93

Theming is definitely my biggest concern with Villains and Cars. I love the quaint Americana charm of MK. Also mixed feelings about them putting villains in the park that is probably most geared to small children. Love the concepts, not sure about the location.
The whole point is to give the older kids and teens dragged to the Magic Kingdom something to do.

Spash007

I feel the same with a 4-year-old… don’t love it but he’ll likely be 9 or 10 by the time it’s finished. I think the placement puts Villains Land in a precarious position though. The “not family friendly” factor could easily result in cold feet, especially if a recession hits. I think this land would be safer elsewhere, location at MK adds a potential chopping block factor.
I honestly disagree - I think it adds the most value to MK by adding something it doesn’t currently have. Adult only trips are becoming more common, and these guests are more likely to skip MK or spend less time there.

This brings them to MK, while also not taking anything away from kids who can still have the same experience as before and skip this section. I just hope the layout of the lands has the kid friendly Cars rides close enough so that people with young kids who don’t want to go can find a balance (since Big Thunder and Tiana’s IMO are rather on their own and can be tricky for families with kids below the height requirement)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom