Video Of Mr. Potato Head In Action At Dca!!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Notice all the people walking away from it...

Who the heck is WDI's script writer? I think we figured out why so much of MILF had to be retooled.

Figment25

I agree the script wasn't the best but I was impressed by the AA, especially when he pulled off his ear and then put it back, makes me excited for WDW's TSM
Thanks for the link:wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I agree the script wasn't the best but I was impressed by the AA, especially when he pulled off his ear and then put it back, makes me excited for WDW's TSM
Thanks for the link:wave:

Admittedly it's a nice piece of technology - but that script sucks.

We already had nice AA's in various parts of WDW, and getting another is okay i guess, but it would be nice if it was entertaining and actually funny.

Seriously, i'd take a projection screen of an animated potato with a funny script over this ultra-expensive not-funny spud.

kevlightyear

Admittedly it's a nice piece of technology - but that script sucks.

Seriously, i'd take a projection screen of an animated potato with a funny script over this ultra-expensive not-funny spud.

No offense, but you are not the be-all-end-all when it comes to deciding if something is funny (and thank goodness for that). Oh, and somehow I don't believe you . . . if it was an animated potato, you'd be complaining about the new direction Disney is taking in entertainment away from the past of AA's or some garbage like that.

Anyway, that thing is amazing! The quality of audio animatronics coming out of WDI these days in mind blowing. The motions are so fluid, it's almost kind of creepy. I love the way they did the eyes, too. Needless to say, the ear thing is cool as well--that's major programming at work. Can you imagine what it was like for the imagineers to design something like this? He's basically a head with arms, but there's so much life in it. Top notch!

DisneyAnole

The expression on the face of the boy who walks away 36 seconds into the video is the reason why SSE has video screens in the descent.

And the constant stream of people walking past without stopping is funnier than the script...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I can't help but think that they probably should have used a test audience before they paid Don to do all of the voice work. If they started with a sound-alike and then used what they learned to get him to say what they really needed, well, it just would have brought it up to "Disney-Quality." Of course, we're not exactly known for our patience. If something opens before it's completely done (cough, cough, SSE...) we flip out.

CThaddeus

I know where I'll be taking my camcorder this weekend. And what's wrong with his "script?" Were you really expecting Shakespeare? It works perfectly well for the reason he's there. My guess is once the attraction actually opens, he'll draw a much bigger crowd. Right now he's kind of hawking something you can't do.
Personally, I think this is a great thing for California Adventure, giving me a second reason to want to bother going into Paradise Pier (the first being California Screamin').

dazzer68

the thing about comedy is timing, those lines were long enough to have a snooze inbetween! looks good but bad timing.looks kinda odd too where its been stuck

DisneyWales

Yeah it did seem like it was either waiting for the next bit of dialogue to be loaded, or selected.

Is it not possible that this is testing for the character. Didn't i read somewhere, that he has preselected phrases, and someone in a room selects what he as to say. Maybe this is just training for it, hence the slow response time.....?!?!

At the end of the day, its not the main attraction, its something to make the wait more interesting, and I personally feel we couldn't ask for anything better than a partially interactive AA. Maybe it will just take some time for the operator to get the hang of the script and controls etc.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
On April 4th... 2008... the potato became self aware and started learning at a geometric rate... they tried to pull the plug... but it was too late... Judgment Day.

Shaman

Real cool. Nice preview/ad for the ride (you know something to spread the word). Why people are complaining about the script so soon before the ride opens.... :shrug:

CaptainMichael

Why people are complaining about the script so soon before the ride opens.... :shrug:

Because for some people, that's all they know how to do.

I wasn't even thinking about the script, I was just in awe at how far AA's have come. It truly is an amazing piece of technology...especially for just being part of a queue.

Dayma

Because for some people, that's all they know how to do.

I wasn't even thinking about the script, I was just in awe at how far AA's have come. It truly is an amazing piece of technology...especially for just being part of a queue.

Same here. The last thing I was thinking about was the script. Cool stuff.

psuchad

I haven't noticed from any of the pictures I have seen, but is there a way to cover him up in the event of a breakdown? What do they do at Buzz now? For an AA to be frozen is one thing, but these video features like the eyes here and Buzzes face would be disturbing to see when off.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
And don't forget...

It's also meant for you to BE IN THE QUE for the attraction. Right now - it really means nothing when he says - "step right up...play our games" (or what ever it is he actually does say). As you can't step right up...to play our games just yet...
Once the attraction opens...it will then come together.

See where I'm going with this????

CThaddeus

I haven't noticed from any of the pictures I have seen, but is there a way to cover him up in the event of a breakdown? What do they do at Buzz now? For an AA to be frozen is one thing, but these video features like the eyes here and Buzzes face would be disturbing to see when off.

Last year when I went on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, the whole area with the Buzz audio-animatronic, the Viewmaster, etc. was simply covered by a large wall-to-wall tarp. It wasn't attractive, but it did hide whatever was going on behing it. I'm guessing they could do something similar with Mr. Potato Head. A nice themed curtain would look so much better than a tarp, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom