"Value" Resort costs more than Deluxe

ParentsOf4

We are looking into a WDW trip in late July. An Art of Animation suite is $345/night (sleeps 6) while a room at the Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club is $277.50/night (sleeps 5).

I just stayed offsite in a comfortable hotel in a 2-room suite with kitchenette that sleeps up to 6 for $118/night during Easter week.

I realize AoA is offering a suite and sleeps one extra person than a Deluxe Resort room but does anyone else think the AoA price is insane, especially for a so called "Value Resort"?

I_heart_Tigger

Not at Disney's drink rates! :eek: But you seem to be a neighbor to Maine so maybe I can make an exception :animwink:

Yes, when I worked at Disney and people didn't know where Nova Scotia was I would explain. It's up on the North East Coast of Canada, on the Atlantic Ocean and fairly often they would say...so you're from Maine?

Eventually I would just say, Yes I'm from Maine :brick:

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

By your definition ALL resorts on Disney property are value. Doesn't cut it. It's clearly based on price.

In that post I wasn't discussing value as a classification of resort but whether the AoA suite is a good value. Two totally different meanings. Some people would say that Beach Club is a good value for example but it is not a "Disney Value Resort". I believe they use Value instead of cheap to persuade people they are still getting a good buy for their money. My point is that for me, the values don't have enough perks to be of any value to me - no matter what word is used to brand them.

Another example is (and not sure if you have this store in the States or if it's Canadian but you will get the drift) I can get a new camera at Best Buy. It may actually be the "best buy" for my money but just because I got it at Best Buy doesn't mean it will be the best buy for everyone.

Clear as mud? :lol:

Upvote 0
And you get what you pay for. I've stayed in all three levels. Values are cheap and the rooms are crap. Uncomfortable beds/bedding. No closet. Horrible water pressure. Garish themes. etc. Great if you just want to get back to the room and crash right away. You're right there are not great pools and no shade for bus. Thats why it's value. You save money and get less. And so it goes up with moderate and deluxe. As you pay more you get more. Better quality and more tasteful atmosphere, better pools, etc.

So there you have it.

Wow I totally disagree with you! I have stayed at all 3 levels, and I still love the Value resorts. So much so that a couple of years ago when I had a 40% off pin I booked the Beach Club, but ended up downgrading to the Music resort.

And I think that is in part why Disney has different resort levels. To appeal to people with different tastes. I don't always need a fancy pool, or a shaded bus stop, or a closet (which they only have at Deluxe resorts, btw). Sometimes I would rather have the fun, in your face design of the Value resorts instead of the sedate feel of the Deluxe resorts.

Again Value doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Value means different things for different people.

Upvote 0
best value prices

there are always deals to be found if you do your research.. first off they have there spring discounts. but what people dont know is the next wave of discounts is available very soon for dates after june 15.. value resorts for 69 a night. anyone who pays 200 plus a night is just wasteing there money for a room you mostly sleep in. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

jmargarone27

That's ridiculous! I don't know if it is different now because I just checked today, but BW and BC are now #370-$400. I would spend the extra money and go for the deluxe. They have better everything.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Wow I totally disagree with you! I have stayed at all 3 levels, and I still love the Value resorts. So much so that a couple of years ago when I had a 40% off pin I booked the Beach Club, but ended up downgrading to the Music resort.

And I think that is in part why Disney has different resort levels. To appeal to people with different tastes. I don't always need a fancy pool, or a shaded bus stop, or a closet (which they only have at Deluxe resorts, btw). Sometimes I would rather have the fun, in your face design of the Value resorts instead of the sedate feel of the Deluxe resorts.

Again Value doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Value means different things for different people.

I agree with you completely. I prefer the values to the moderates, as I don't consider them a step up at all. And if we can be honest, even the deluxes at WDW don't compete with true luxury hotels around the country or world.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some have suggested that my original supposition was unfair since I compared a suite to a room. Although I understand and respect this view, for me, the comparison is fair. IMHO, what are being discussed are the merits of various sleeping arrangements at onsite Disney resorts based on price. This includes the relative merits of room layout, square footage, number of beds, number of bathrooms, location, resort category, etc. Whether or not something is a suite or a room, a comparison still can be made. I respectfully submit that any comparison is fair, understanding that each of us might weigh the criteria differently.
IMHO this, and this point alone is where most of the discussion/ disagreement is coming from. Suites and standard rooms are fundamentally different things. It is like comparing a Honda Civic to Honda Odyssey. Bot are cars that will get you from point A to B but the Odyssey provides features that the Civic can not, but you take a hit in the pocket book to get those extra features.

If all you are looking for is a bed and a shower then a suite will never be worth the extra money charged for them to you. Like you, I just need a place to sleep and shower. I have stayed is the ASM suites and other suites on property but it has been due to either necessity or an upgrade. While I like suites, I do not need the extras that they offer and therefore do not wish to pay extra for them, but I do see their appeal.

Also as you have pointed out the newness of AoA is really skewing the numbers right now. Give it a couple years for the shine to wear off and I think we will see the prices at AoA to come inline with ASM and be regularly offered in promotions.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Master Yoda - one area the suites are 'equal' for a lot of people is because they both allow more than 4 people in a room.

If you are a party of 5 or more... your first critiera is 'what rooms will Disney allow me to book for 5 people'.

So yes, while suites are different from rooms.. in a lot of mindsets.. they both allow the same # of people.. which is the one factor Disney doesn't let you cheat on. So they are fixed and equal in that regard..

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

You aren't paying for the room, you are paying for the convenience and the ambience. None of the hotels are worth the price... it's the other things that make it worth it.

especially with children... in terms of theming, this looks like the BEST disney resort.

We slept four in a studio DVC room at the BC... it was tight, trust me

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Some have suggested that my original supposition was unfair since I compared a suite to a room. Although I understand and respect this view, for me, the comparison is fair. IMHO, what are being discussed are the merits of various sleeping arrangements at onsite Disney resorts based on price. This includes the relative merits of room layout, square footage, number of beds, number of bathrooms, location, resort category, etc. Whether or not something is a suite or a room, a comparison still can be made. I respectfully submit that any comparison is fair, understanding that each of us might weigh the criteria differently.

Tell that to the person with a party of 6. As you point out, many deluxe rooms still only sleep a maximum of 5, or 6 if one is under the age of 3. If you want to stay in Beach Club or Boardwalk or Grand Floridian, you're SOL. Until, of course, you start looking at suites or more than one room. And if you think having more than one bathroom is worth something extra for you (which I believe may be termed "something of value"), then the cabins are not an option either, as well as all other standard rooms in Deluxe resorts

So far, I don't believe anyone has indicated that a suite at AoA would be their first choice given these somewhat similarly priced options, suggesting that others also feel that an AoA suite currently does not represent a good value by Disney standards. For me, there are several better values at this price point, including better values at Moderate and Deluxe Resorts. Again, to me, this is ironic since AoA is supposed to be a "Value Resort".

I certainly hope you're not lumping in EVERY PERSON who didn't indicate a preference with staying at AoA with the "don't think it's a good value" crowd. Because as many people have indicated, myself included, their reasons for not wanting to stay in AoA, or any Value suite, might have little or nothing to do with whether or not this particular resort is a "good Value." Some of us just prefer not to stay at the "Value resorts," period. To combine those who wouldn't stay at AoA for that money with people who wouldn't choose to stay in Value resorts at all is a little "The enemy of my enemy is my leverage to bolster my argument" of you. You seem to be selectively reading what you want to read and ignoring what doesn't fit into your perception, and then complaining when other people are pointing that out. Which is not particularly cool.

Now, I want to stay in AoA, just to spite you. Biggest pool on property. Giant interactive water play area. Kids will love it. Sounds sweet.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda - one area the suites are 'equal' for a lot of people is because they both allow more than 4 people in a room.

If you are a party of 5 or more... your first critiera is 'what rooms will Disney allow me to book for 5 people'.

So yes, while suites are different from rooms.. in a lot of mindsets.. they both allow the same # of people.. which is the one factor Disney doesn't let you cheat on. So they are fixed and equal in that regard..
They are equal in a number of ways. They all have beds, sinks, bathrooms, etc but what standard rooms lack and suites have that make them different are typically kitchens and living areas. You can keep adding regular rooms to account for guest capacity but no matter how many standard rooms you add, you will not get a living room and a kitchen.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Actually, as I wrote earlier, the value suites sleep 6. AND have two bathrooms. So if you're a party of five and an extra bathroom means nothing to you, maybe you can compare a standard deluxe room to a Value Suite (without comparing the resorts themselves, of course). But if you're a party of 6 and/or would like the convenience of getting the eff out of the room as fast as possible without worrying about one or more members of your party stinking up the joint because there was no time for a shower, your pickings get slimmer.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, as I wrote earlier, the value suites sleep 6. AND have two bathrooms. So if you're a party of five and an extra bathroom means nothing to you, maybe you can compare a standard deluxe room to a Value Suite (without comparing the resorts themselves, of course). But if you're a party of 6 and/or would like the convenience of getting the eff out of the room as fast as possible without worrying about one or more members of your party stinking up the joint because there was no time for a shower, your pickings get slimmer.

I was only trying to highlight why people bother 'comparing' these dissimilar room styes to start with... it's not just about preference of room style but what Disney will allow you to book with your party size. I am constrained in what I can book at Disney based on my family's size. That has an impact on how you look at properties.

I'm not saying the two offerings offer the same things - but there is a question of 'what is desirable and what is fixed'. What is fixed is how many people Disney will book in a room.. and because of packages.. you can't cheat that. So people naturally are going to be comparing properties that accommodate that fixed #...

Personally I find the OP being hung up on 'value' as trite. It boils down to complaining about prices across the board being high as they already admitted. Well Disney never labeled it's room categories based on comparisons to off property hotels.. so I don't see what the fuss is about.

The AoA suites offer more than the existing ASM suites and should be priced higher obviously.

If the pricing doesn't work for you.. don't book there
If the pricing doesn't work out for everyone.. disney will change it

Is there sticker shock? Yes... but when doing anything with a large group will do that.

Upvote 0
That's ridiculous! I don't know if it is different now because I just checked today, but BW and BC are now #370-$400. I would spend the extra money and go for the deluxe. They have better everything.

Less room though. You are comparing a suite at a Value resort to one room at a Deluxe. You are paying more for more space. Plus an extra bathroom and a kitchenette. Comparing one room to a suite is not an apples to apples comparison.

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So I have been reading this thread and have to agree to disagree with the original poster. Disney does a comparison of apples to apples when setting the price for their lodging. A quick check shows the following rack rates for Regular Season (two values are for weekday/weekend):

ASM - Value - 295/345
AoA - Value - 345
Cor Spgs - Mod - 780/825
FW - Mod - 340/360
AKL - Dlx - 875/910
BC - Dlx - 730/790
BW Inn - Dlx - 765/805
Cont - Dlx - 665/705
GF - Dlx - 1295/1385
Poly - Dlx - 1060/1150
WL - Dlx - 1030/1120
AKL Villas - Dlx V - 565
BLT - Dlx V - 575
BC Villas - Dlx V - 540
BW Villas - Dlx V - 565
OKW - Dlx V - 490
SSR - Dlx V - 490
WL Villas - Dlx V - 555

So, the average "Value" resort suite is around 345, "Deluxe" is just over 900, and "Deluxe Villa" is 540. Since there are only 2 moderates, the average doesn't really work too well.

Again, all of these are for 1 bedroom suites during regualr season (around mid-April to mid-July).

I understand that you are comparing the price to a single deluxe room, but Disney is never going to do it that way, and the space and amenities you lose with a single room are never worth the cost.

Have you thought about DVC?

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

So, the average "Value" resort suite is around 345, "Deluxe" is just over 900, and "Deluxe Villa" is 540. Since there are only 2 moderates, the average doesn't really work too well.

Again, all of these are for 1 bedroom suites during regualr season (around mid-April to mid-July).

I understand that you are comparing the price to a single deluxe room, but Disney is never going to do it that way, and the space and amenities you lose with a single room are never worth the cost.

The OP is also using the argument that other resorts have discount codes that could possibly be used, while AoA does not because it's so new and in-demand (though some people have since said they've received PIN codes for a small AoA discount - comparable to a AAA discount - there are currently no discounts to the general public). Operating under the assumption that "no one pays rack rate," AoA is therefore more expensive than Value Suites at All-Star and many moderate & Deluxe rooms, despite the fact that
1: Value Suites sleep more people than standard rooms
2: You get an extra bathroom
3: Potentially more living space (depending on the location)
And then getting mad if anyone points out that apples are not oranges and vice versa.

Upvote 0

TurkA77

So I have been reading this thread and have to agree to disagree with the original poster. Disney does a comparison of apples to apples when setting the price for their lodging. A quick check shows the following rack rates for Regular Season (two values are for weekday/weekend):

ASM - Value - 295/345
AoA - Value - 345
Cor Spgs - Mod - 780/825
FW - Mod - 340/360
AKL - Dlx - 875/910
BC - Dlx - 730/790
BW Inn - Dlx - 765/805
Cont - Dlx - 665/705
GF - Dlx - 1295/1385
Poly - Dlx - 1060/1150
WL - Dlx - 1030/1120
AKL Villas - Dlx V - 565
BLT - Dlx V - 575
BC Villas - Dlx V - 540
BW Villas - Dlx V - 565
OKW - Dlx V - 490
SSR - Dlx V - 490
WL Villas - Dlx V - 555

I tried to post something similar to this before, but the OP just doesn't get it. In her mind she is comparing a room from a value and a room from a deluxe. For some reason she just can't understand that a suite and a standard are two very different things.

I can go to Le Cellier and have a salad and only spend $15.
I can go to the Food Court have a Cheeseburger, Fries, Beer, and a Dessert and spend $20.
Does that mean the Food Court isn't a value option because I spent more money there than at a 5 star restaurant? Apples to Oranges......

Upvote 0

Lynne M

Folks are getting hung up on terminology.

Disney's resort categories are based on the level of amenities. For instance:

Value resorts have basic pools, no slide. Moderate resorts have slightly nicer pools, with a slide. Deluxe resorts have fancy pools.

Value resorts have food courts. Moderate resorts have a food court and a basic sit-down restaurant. Deluxes have several sit-down restaurants, usually including a signature.

Disney's use of the term 'Value' means 'resorts with the most basic amenities, compared to other Disney resorts'. It does not mean 'resorts that are cheap'. Or 'resorts that are affordable for most people'. Or 'resorts that are a good value for the money'. Many people interpret it that way, but that's their own interpretation, not Disney's.

In terms of pricing, you will usually find that standard rooms at a value cost less than standard rooms at a moderate, which cost less than standard rooms at a deluxe. Suites at a value cost less than suites at a moderate, which cost less than suites at a deluxe.

You can't compare pricing across room types. If you look at summer pricing for AoA suites, it's about $345. A suite that sleeps 6 at a moderate (CSR) during the same period is $780 - $1130. A suite that sleeps 6 at a deluxe (AKL) during the same period is $875 - $2315. So, AoA seems right in line to me.

Are the prices on AoA suites higher than those at ASMU? Sure. AoA is in higher demand at the moment because it's new and has some features that ASMu does not, so Disney is charging what the market will bear. If they can fill it at $345 a night, they've got no reason to charge less.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom