"Value" Resort costs more than Deluxe

ParentsOf4

We are looking into a WDW trip in late July. An Art of Animation suite is $345/night (sleeps 6) while a room at the Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club is $277.50/night (sleeps 5).

I just stayed offsite in a comfortable hotel in a 2-room suite with kitchenette that sleeps up to 6 for $118/night during Easter week.

I realize AoA is offering a suite and sleeps one extra person than a Deluxe Resort room but does anyone else think the AoA price is insane, especially for a so called "Value Resort"?

bethymouse

Good Points!

My husband and I just had this debate yesterday about staying off property! Lots of people do it, but I never would. You do pay for the convenience, I agree with that. It just depends on what kind of Disney experience you want. AofA is a brand new resort. I think in terms of advertising it as a "value" resort, it means value for the suites and the Disney experience w/ one of the largest pool complexes on property. It certainly isn't value priced, but neither is ASMusic suites. I say go enjoy Disney with the dining plan (wouldn't do it any other way). If you stay off property and eat other places, it may seem like you save money in the long run, but it adds up!:goodnevil

Upvote 0

bethymouse

The website begins w/ the free dining offer nice and big w/ a picture of Mickey and continues to show special offers. I say take your time and be careful to read every part of the website before booking. Be warned: doing comparison shopping w/ other companies, the price is exactly the same (at least that has been my experience).

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

To take it one step further, I liken this more to how cars are sold. Take Hyundai for example .. originally thought of as the "Value" choice they have now taken steps to improve their image and sell some really nice mainstream cars. They have recently brought out some higher end cars as well to compete with the likes of BMW, Merc, etc., however, they still have to deal with the stigma of originally being a low-budget company.

How do they sell high end cars while also selling value based offerings? The high end model may be the best car on the road but some people will continue to question the value simply based on the past marketing, history, etc.

Such is the quandary of the marketing dept .. :)

...and now we all need degrees in marketing and finance to buy everything from a sweater to a watch to a car. :lol:

Just can't get away from it. The end result is that the number one goal for any company is to make a profit. Our job (if we choose to accept it) is to decide which company is worthy of our hard earned cash and which product is the best value for us.

The other thing I would like to point out is that value doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A $12,000 vacation may be the best value for one family and a $4000 vacation may be the best for another. Value is the combination of services, products and amenities compared to the dollars spent and people may perceive the value of an item differently. Some people may think that the way the buildings are decorated at the resorts have no value while others base their decision solely on the atmosphere of the resort.

This same thought could be behind giving all resorts, including values, free wifi and refrigerators. Maybe Disney has decided that they can get a little more for their 'value' resorts. They start AoA a little high, and then the rest of the values and AoA land up together somewhere in the middle.

Likewise, some people may think that just because the resort is newer that doesn't increase it's value while others find value in being able to say they stayed at the resort when it was brand new not to mention the fact that it is top shape aesthetically and with the newest features - from wifi to door locks that will (in theory) :lookaroun work more efficiently for the guest.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Yes, I see your point and it is a reasonable comparison, Disney room-only discount to restaurant discount. To me, the difference is that the restaurant (or item at a grocery store) typically requires physically presenting a paper coupon to get the discount.

My experience with most travel sites seems to be different than yours.

When booking through most hotel websites (e.g. choicehotels.com, Hilton.com, etc.), my experience is that there's usually an obvious field to enter special discount codes. Most websites present this "discount code" field PRIOR to searching for rooms.

A Disney room-only discount typically has an associated "discount code". In the case of my friend, at no point during the check-out process did she recall Disney presenting a field to enter the "discount code", although she had this ready if prompted. (I wasn't there when she originally booked the room; she might have simply missed the field. She's never tried to book a WDW room before.)

At the swananddolphin.com website, I automatically was presented with the discounted room rate for travel last November even though I did not enter a discount code. (The Swan and Dolphin also automatically listed other room rates, including the full-priced rack rate.)

When I book a room at Universal Orlando's website, discounts available to the general public are often applied automatically. For example, Universal offers discounts for longer stays (typically 3 nights or more depending on the time of year). I do not have to enter a special code to get this discount. Similar to other hotel websites, the Universal website also has a field clearly labeled "Promotion/Group code or Travel Agent" to enter special discount codes PRIOR to searching for rooms.

DCL is offering special rates this summer for some cruises. These special rates appear automatically; I do not have to enter special codes to get the discounted rates. Since Disney does this for its cruise line, it's unclear to me why Disney doesn't do the same for their resorts.

Compared to DCL, Universal, and other hotel chains, the main WDW website seems to go out of its way to "hide" room-only discounts.

I'm sure there are other travel websites that "hide" discounts to the same extent as disneyworld.com but it seems that I am unfamiliar with them.

I was a travel agent for a few years selling Disney vacations, and I can't say I ever had a problem with hidden discounts. If Disney gives you a pin, or they advertise an offer it explicitly tells you how to go about booking it. I never found myself in a position where I had to do major searching in order to get myself or a client an advertised offer.

Upvote 0

gene

Depending on what your needs are I had originally booked a suite at the AoA for December. Since I booked the standard rooms at the Little Mermaid became available and I switched by reservation from a Suite to two adjacent rooms and saved $495.00. I really don't plan on spending much time in the room, basically just long enough to sleep, so I couldn't see spending the extra for the suite. Might be something to think about if it works for you.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I was a travel agent for a few years selling Disney vacations, and I can't say I ever had a problem with hidden discounts. If Disney gives you a pin, or they advertise an offer it explicitly tells you how to go about booking it. I never found myself in a position where I had to do major searching in order to get myself or a client an advertised offer.

I don't really care for the tone of this post. It is way too direct and factual. :p

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The other thing I would like to point out is that value doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A $12,000 vacation may be the best value for one family and a $4000 vacation may be the best for another. Value is the combination of services, products and amenities compared to the dollars spent and people may perceive the value of an item differently. Some people may think that the way the buildings are decorated at the resorts have no value while others base their decision solely on the atmosphere of the resort.

Another way to look at it - the generic/store brand version of Oreos might give you more cookies in the bag, for less money, but if you think they taste like hot buttered monkey butt compared to Oreos, is it that much of a value? What's the good of getting more of something you don't want as opposed to something you do?

The "Value" resorts are Disney's idea of a "Value," not necessarily yours, or mine or anyone else's. Now if you happen to perceive that they are a "Value," or can be convinced by the marketing wizards at Disney that it's a "value," then win-win for everyone involved. The argument seems to be "Can $345 for a hotel room (or suite) EVER be considered a 'Value?'" And I think it's valid to respond with "a value compared to what? A comparable suite off-property? A smaller room or non-suite ON property? What, I ask you?"

Except, of course, that it's rude to answer a question with a question.

I hate myself.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I don't care how anyone is slicing and dicing words to explain value.

Starting rates at a value resort should not out price a deluxe resort. That is just insane. It should not be called value or be put in a value category. It should be renamed family suites or something that doesn't reference price point.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Starting rates at a value resort should not out price a deluxe resort. That is just insane. It should not be called value or be put in a value category. It should be renamed family suites or something that doesn't reference price point.

While we're at it, we shouldn't park in a driveway and drive in a parkway....

Edit: What the...who the Hell gave Gallagher my screen name and password?

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Another way to look at it - the generic/store brand version of Oreos might give you more cookies in the bag, for less money, but if you think they taste like hot buttered monkey butt compared to Oreos, is it that much of a value? What's the good of getting more of something you don't want as opposed to something you do?

The "Value" resorts are Disney's idea of a "Value," not necessarily yours, or mine or anyone else's. Now if you happen to perceive that they are a "Value," or can be convinced by the marketing wizards at Disney that it's a "value," then win-win for everyone involved. The argument seems to be "Can $345 for a hotel room (or suite) EVER be considered a 'Value?'" And I think it's valid to respond with "a value compared to what? A comparable suite off-property? A smaller room or non-suite ON property? What, I ask you?"

In fairness to the original poster, I read the question as more of your generic bag of cookie example and would pose the question, "Can $345 at a Value Suite be considered a 'value' when there are nicer properties available for almost the same or less cost, both on and off-site?"

And my answer to such a question would be a resounding, "NO!" :ROFLOL: You won't see this guy and family staying at a so-called Value Hotel for anywhere near those rates.

edit: then again, reading your post more closely (I think the Oreos distracted me :lookaroun ) we might be saying the same thing.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I agree that the Value Resorts are Disney's version of "value". I'm completely OK with that.

What I've been trying to emphasize (and without much success :)) is that $345/night for what's basically 2 small rooms at a Value Resort (and yes, I am familiar with the floor plan) is a not much of a "value" even by WDW standards. Especially since it is possible to get one large room at a Deluxe Resort that sleeps 5 or 2 rooms at a Moderate Resort that sleeps 10 for less than the "Value Resort suite" that only sleeps 6.

Given the following choices, I'm interested in reading what others would select:

1) One suite at All Star Music for $250/night
2) One room at the Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club for $277/night
3) Two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside for $320/night
4) One suite at Art of Animation for $345/night
5) One room at the Grand Floridian for $376/night

These are the rates available for the dates I'll be there (beginning July 29) with a total party of 5. Because of the age of our children, Disney has always given us connecting rooms in the past so I don't see this as a problem for this trip.

You didn't give us any off-site options. :ROFLOL: Personally, for a party of 5, from the options listed I would select option number 3 as my first choice, with my second choice being option number 2. The Art of Animation suite would be my last choice.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I agree that the Value Resorts are Disney's version of "value". I'm completely OK with that.

What I've been trying to emphasize (and without much success :)) is that $345/night for what's basically 2 small rooms at a Value Resort (and yes, I am familiar with the floor plan) is a not much of a "value" even by WDW standards. Especially since it is possible to get one large room at a Deluxe Resort that sleeps 5 or 2 rooms at a Moderate Resort that sleeps 10 for less than the "Value Resort suite" that only sleeps 6.

Given the following choices, I'm interested in reading what others would select:

These are the rates available for the dates I'll be there (beginning July 29) with a total party of 5. Because of the age of our children, Disney has always given us connecting rooms in the past so I don't see this as a problem for this trip.

If it were me and my family we would probably do the 2 rooms at POR but our reasoning will be totally different than yours. I like the themeing, I like boat rides so the trip to DTD is always a pleasure for me. My 2nd choice would be Beach Club because it's closest to my favourite parks.

GF would be my last choice...I like to visit but have no desire to stay there...not sure why, just not my style I guess. So the 2 suites would be somewhere in the middle - mostly because they aren't as pleasant as an atmosphere as the other resorts.

I would be torn to choose between the 2 suites. If I could afford it I would stay at AoA because of the theming of the rooms, the newness of the resort, hopefully the bus system is select for that resort (that's more of a big deal to me than the size of the suites). If I couldn't afford it I would do ASM suite but personally I prefer someplace more pleasant to return to that I call "home" at the end of my day and the Values are all too noisy to be that pleasant.

Now, I AM staying at Pop Century next week for a few nights - I did choose that for budget reasons - I decided to really increase my budget for my Universal Part of the trip and am doing some money cuts from my Disney portion so my Universal portion will include the fancier dining, nicer hotel and limo transfers.

It's such an individual choice no one can make it for you. I guess if I were in your shoes I would just picture myself calling one of these places "home" for my time at WDW and see which one feels right. If it's not in your budget at all then take it off your list.

Upvote 0

Value doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Disney doesn't call their resorts cheap, medium priced, and expensive. If they did, then I may agree with you.

I'm honestly not sure why you are complaining. No one is forcing you too book an AoA suite. Disney never stated anywhere that their value resorts would only ever have cheap rooms in them. Not everyone needs a fancy pool with a slide, or a shaded bus stop. We can all choose to stay and pay for whatever we wish. Complaining over a name, or because a suite in a value resort costs a bit, is just silly.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

What about a FW cabin? They sleep 6.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

So, I was interested in viewing a resort price comparison. I do not think it is fair to be comparing a studio to a Suite even if it's Deluxe vs Value. I priced the Boardwalk Villa to make it more comparable. And without the summer offer on the Moderate option at FW it's only a 45 dollar comparison. When it's broken down this way I think it makes fair sense. Do I think it's a little unfair that AoA is excluded from the offer, sure but it's brand new and there is so much excitement built up for these new family suites. When the newness dies down and it is included in the offer will there be a valid complaint, nah...I don't think so. Disney is an expensive family vacation, but in my opinion it is the best family vacation and we will always shell out the dough for the magic. I am not attacking anyone here, nobody is...we all have opinions and just need to back them up and stand by them.

Boardwalk 1BR Villa=$3853. (490/night)

Fort Wilderness Cabins=$1917 (240/night) Think it's fair to point out here that w/o the offer it would be $2396, (300/night)

Art of Animation Suite=$2829 (345/night)

What about a FW cabin? They sleep 6.

That's why I had included FW in my post.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

That's why I had included FW in my post.

I can't read, I thought everyone knew that.

But that would be my first suggestion for you. Kids rend to love FW, you have boat access to MK, plenty of fun activities.

After that, I'd choose Beach Club then BW. Close to 2 parks, and if you're in Beach Club, the pool will be the thing the kids will choose to visit instead of the parks.

After that...probably Riverside, then GF, All Star, then AoA. I'm not a big fan of the Values. Even though they're suites, I prefer resorts with more to do than just a pool and arcade, and more dining options than just a food court and pizza delivery.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom