Utilidors on in MK?

Gringrinngghost

Any reason why the utilidors weren't created for Epcot, DHS or AK? It seems like it was a great idea, so why was this only done for the MK?

A Trusted friend of mine (a Disney CM) has been in the Utilidoors, but not Epcots tunnels. It is Confirmed that Epcot does have tunnels that go to World Showcase

Wikipedia said:
Unlike the Magic Kingdom, Epcot only contains tunnels underneath the buildings that contain Innoventions East, the Electric Umbrella, MouseGear, Innoventions West, and the building housing Club Cool and Fountain View Ice Cream. The tunnels are used primarily for the support facilities necessary for the merchandise shops and restaurants contained therein (stock rooms, break rooms, prep kitchens, garbage disposal, etc). There is an entry/exit corridor that runs from the northeast corner of the tunnels (the area below Innoventions East/the Electric Umbrella restaurant) to a backstage area located between the Universe of Energy/Ellen's Energy Adventure and the east side of the main entrance complex. Because World Showcase is at the rear of Epcot, backstage areas simply run behind the perimeter of World Showcase.

SirGoofy

It's all good...We also would have benefited from larger heavy duty elevators so we could have actually fit a full sized drink or ice cream wagon in them. Would have been nice not to worry about running guest over who like to jump in front of you when your coming down the Adventureland bridge.

Just hit. No one will notice.:lookaroun

ICP06

Speaking of which, I was in DHS the other day outside of AIE and there was a ToT CM standing there. It was odd.

If the CM was near the steps at AIE, then they were there doing crowd control for the parade. Around the Idol area, the Indiana Jones CMs staff that side of the route as far as the planters area, Great Movie Ride takes from Sounds Dangerous as far as the ATAS Hall of Fame Plaza, AIE has the steps and to the hat (more or less), Tower of Terror takes the opposite side of the parade route on the Min & Bill's side, and... well, I don't know any further than that, because I never worked that far down! Also, some days, the ToT and GMR CMs won't be out for parade, because those parade positions are only support positions to the regular parade CMs and are the first to be dropped if staffing is tight.

How do I know this? I was one of 'em! :D

Mansion Butler

Use to be the same way in MK, with Jungle Skippers and Flying Carpet Salesmen and Pirates being in Liberty Square for parade.

Now it's all Main Street people. Good for aesthetics, bad for Adventureland/Liberty Square cast members.

WDW1974

Utilidors were genius for their time ... and were designed for show as well as service.

But that was in the day when you'd never see a Cowboy or a JC skipper outside their area. Show isn't quite as important in 2009.

SirGoofy

So, to you Ad/Lib CMs.....why the interest in Parade duties? Is it because it's more fun, a nice break, easier than your usual roles....or a combination?

A little bit of all of that. While it may not be as fun as the Jungle, it's nice to be able to slow down and talk to the guests. It really gives you an oppertunity to get to know the people in the park on a more personal level than the 10-15 minutes you get to spiel to them.

PhotoDave219

Use to be the same way in MK, with Jungle Skippers and Flying Carpet Salesmen and Pirates being in Liberty Square for parade.

Now it's all Main Street people. Good for aesthetics, bad for Adventureland/Liberty Square cast members.

I must agree, I miss seeing AdLib cast doing PAC instead of hundreds of CPs from MSUSA. Although Parade time was great survey time.

lazyboy97o

I think one reason for the Magic Kingdom having the Utilidors was out of necessity... As the Magic Kingdom itself is on the second floor and the Utilidors are the first floor
The only reason the Magic Kingdom is on the "second floor" is because of the utilidors. Having to build everything up was done at quite the expense, but sure did create a spectacular view on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Do the MK's in Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong have a utilidor system?
Nope.

I can't believe no one has said this, yes, the MK utilidors were built so cast members had a chance to be out of "the show" and get to their work locations. But you also have to remember, the cuban missile crisis was going on around the time that MK was being planned and built, so Walt and the imagineers wanted a fallout shelter built in case something were to happen. The utilidors were built as fallout shelters and could house cast members and about 60,000 guests for several days, if need be.

disnyfan89

I can't believe no one has said this, yes, the MK utilidors were built so cast members had a chance to be out of "the show" and get to their work locations. But you also have to remember, the cuban missile crisis was going on around the time that MK was being planned and built, so Walt and the imagineers wanted a fallout shelter built in case something were to happen. The utilidors were built as fallout shelters and could house cast members and about 60,000 guests for several days, if need be.
This is the first time I have ever heard of this. May I ask for a source?

Captain Hank

I'm afraid your timing is a little off. The Cuban Missile Crisis was in 1962-63. The first bit of land for WDW was purchased in 1964, with major construction happening in the late 60s. While shelter of this type may have been a secondary consideration, the Utilidor isn't equipped to handle groups of people that large for any more than the shortest length of time. It would also make a very poor fallout shelter, as it doesn't even have a door on its main entrance, just an air curtain over a drain. In addition there are relatively few restoom facilities.

Now, the Utilidor can be used for a short time in extreme emergency situations, but Guests would need to be moved out of there pretty quickly for logistical reasons.

RobParr77

I find that hard to believe. I have been in those tunnels and there is no way you can fit 60,000 people in there... and theres no main door / hatch. To be a fll out shelter every entrance / exit into the tunnels would have to be sealed by heavy vault doors. I could be wrong but CM's that work in MK, would be able to tell us if there is a 2 foot thick hatch at every entrance and exit?

pixel-dust

On the map provided by MissM, the locations for egress all say "stairs to so and so". Are there any elevators? How would the utilidor system comply with the ADA standards?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom