Utilidors on in MK?

jakeman

Oh jake, you must have missed me. I'm surprised I haven't been stalked by JT yet.

There's nothing flawed in my logic. It's a fact that the tunnels were built with show being one of the factors. If you are saying they aren't necessary for there to be good show then I would agree.
Then we agree and your original point is invalid. Lack of tunnels is not a corellation to commitment to show.

Don't flatter yourself to think I am stalking you. You posted in threads I had already subscribed to.

Just wait until I start comparing WDW to DLP and DL. That's when the real fireworks will begin.
I'll probably stay out of most of that. I don't like to comment on things I haven't experienced.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There's also a tunnel under the West end of Pleasure Island, connecting the lower levels of the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse with a small cast cafeteria and the outside. It also contains some offices.

Really? :eek:
I never knew that. Where does the tunnel come out on the outside?

Phonedave

I've seen photos of the tunnel construction. The walls and lids are not suited for any type of blast or radiation. The concrete isn't thick enough, and there is no radiation shielding.

Besides, there are nearly 30 entrances to the tunnel system making it infeasible to shut blast doors of any type in a short time span.

The primary, documented reason for the tunnels was to provide a way for CMs to get from wardrobe to their work location without ruining the magic. And, to provide a more efficient way for F&B and Merch to distribute goods.

An added bonus was that they could install all of their underground utilities in an exposed manner. Many large cities have similar tunnels under their streets for the very same reason - they just weren't designed for humans to work in (for long periods of time).

I will say that whil I agree the tunnels were not build with the idea of being fallout shelters, I do not so quickly dimiss the notion that at one time they may have been labled as such.

I remember seeing walkout basements (school built on a hillside - half the basement buried, the other half had 6 foot windows) labled as fallout shelters.

I remember seeing civil defense drums - black metal 40 gallon drums with yellow lettering in every school and governement building, they either contained rations, or more commonly drinking water. They also conviently had instructions on them on how to turn them into toilets.

I don't doubt that somone said "undergound tunnels !!! Slap a fallout shelter sign on that bad boy"

Plus it makes sense with the missles being housed in the castle and all.

-dave

Ah, Teh Interwebs is a wonderful thing, turns out they are 17.5 gallons

water-1.jpg

Kamikaze

If they've done more than a few thousand dollars worth of work (and I know they have) to any specific facility, it must be brought up to current ADA code. However, the MK utilidors have always been fairly accessible, since they're ramped or flat, have a main entrance from grade, and have elevators at many stair locations.

ADA applies to public and private areas. You can't deny employment (for non-casted roles) because someone is in a wheelchair. So, the tunnels so, in theory, need to be accessible.

Nope, and nope. They could employ someone and not have them use the tunnels, and as long as they could get to their job, they are in compliance.

Tom

Beta Return
Nope, and nope. They could employ someone and not have them use the tunnels, and as long as they could get to their job, they are in compliance.

FL must have some lax anti-discriminatory laws, and/or have invented their own building code.

Tom

Beta Return
I will say that whil I agree the tunnels were not build with the idea of being fallout shelters, I do not so quickly dimiss the notion that at one time they may have been labled as such.

I remember seeing walkout basements (school built on a hillside - half the basement buried, the other half had 6 foot windows) labled as fallout shelters.

I remember seeing civil defense drums - black metal 40 gallon drums with yellow lettering in every school and governement building, they either contained rations, or more commonly drinking water. They also conviently had instructions on them on how to turn them into toilets.

I don't doubt that somone said "undergound tunnels !!! Slap a fallout shelter sign on that bad boy"

Plus it makes sense with the missles being housed in the castle and all.

-dave

Ah, Teh Interwebs is a wonderful thing, turns out they are 17.5 gallons

Oh, I'm not arguing the point of there being signs posted in the tunnels at one point. Just saying that they weren't built with that intention. Dats all.

Heck, when I was in college (until 2002), there were fall-out shelter signs on some doors in the basements of the dorms.

I guess the signs were meant to mean "This is the SAFEST place to be, but not necessarily SAFE."

Obviously, they did need to accommodate the silos.

Captain Hank

Really? :eek:
I never knew that. Where does the tunnel come out on the outside?
I've only been down there once, and it was a couple months ago. The entrance was along the (I believe) South wall of the Comedy Warehouse. I suppose it's rather more of a basement hallway than a true tunnel/utilidor, but it did go under the PI walkway to the Adventurers Club. I was only under the Comedy Warehouse area, which included break rooms, offices and a very small Cast cafeteria. There was a Special Events team going back and forth through there to the Adventurers Club to get ready for an event of some sort.

Rob562

I've only been down there once, and it was a couple months ago. The entrance was along the (I believe) South wall of the Comedy Warehouse. I suppose it's rather more of a basement hallway than a true tunnel/utilidor, but it did go under the PI walkway to the Adventurers Club. I was only under the Comedy Warehouse area, which included break rooms, offices and a very small Cast cafeteria. There was a Special Events team going back and forth through there to the Adventurers Club to get ready for an event of some sort.

You can see the entrance to this area here:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=36394295&encType=1

It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized that there were rooms and tunnels under the West End Plaza on PI. After that, things all made sense... The walk up the hill from the Marketplace side, the steps back down next to the West End stage (before its removal and the new bridge), the fact that you'd never see an AC CM or staff member come and go from there...

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom