US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Darkprime

Now that 1.3 million people got the first dose of the vaccines, would you like to see movie studios start moving their movies back a few months early? A video said the vaccine is gonna start rolling out in the US and Australia now. So they should start opening movie theatres back up in a few weeks.

I mean maybe. But the first half of this year is already stacked full of releases. In March we got Chaos Walking, Kingsman and Morbius already. Mortal Kombat, No Time To Die and Black Widow in April. Fast 9 in May. Not sure there is room to move anything back.

brodie999

Original Poster
I mean maybe. But the first half of this year is already stacked full of releases. In March we got Chaos Walking, Kingsman and Morbius already. Mortal Kombat, No Time To Die and Black Widow in April. Fast 9 in May. Not sure there is room to move anything back.
True. But a 82-year old man just became the first person to get the vaccine outside trials and 6,000 people at Staten Island have already been injected. So a lot of deaths and hospitalisations By COVID are gonna start to die down soon.

Wendy Pleakley

Now that 1.3 million people got the first dose of the vaccines, would you like to see movie studios start moving their movies back a few months early? A video said the vaccine is gonna start rolling out in the US and Australia now. So they should start opening movie theatres back up in a few weeks.

A few weeks?

You have a very unrealistic idea of how quickly things will return to normal.

brodie999

Original Poster
A few weeks?

You have a very unrealistic idea of how quickly things will return to normal.
I'm not saying it will return to normal in a few weeks, I'm saying after people get the second dose in a few weeks during trials, everything will go back to normal in 5 months time. Maybe even sooner. Try to be more optimistic here.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Once again don't expect a return to normalcy until Fall. Even then you're going to have a lot of people not wanting to immediately go out in large indoor gatherings like movie theaters for a long while. I suspect 2021 will be a light year on box office numbers.

As for movies themselves, no I don't expect studio to start moving movies back earlier.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bummer. Does anyone know when vaccinations start in the US? Because like I said, everything's in flux. Including movie delays. So hopefully, they'll start vaccinating people in the next few weeks.
Vaccinations started last month in the US. But its not a quick process to vaccinate over 320 Million people. It takes time not only due to the large amount of people, but also because supply of the vaccine is limited. It'll take several months before they have enough supply for everyone to get the vaccine.

So once again as has been told to you before, don't expect things to start to go back to "normal" until at least fall. And then don't expect a mad rush to theaters, a lot of the population is going to be slow to return to mass gatherings like movie theaters. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't until late 2022 or early 2023 before you see completely packed movie theaters in all parts of the US like before. Some areas may bounce back quicker, but its going to be a long while before the entire US is completely back to "normal".

mf1972

987C689B-B3FE-4EEB-96DC-B888007543D2.jpeg

$600 million dollars.....

Archie123

Vaccinations started last month in the US. But its not a quick process to vaccinate over 320 Million people. It takes time not only due to the large amount of people, but also because supply of the vaccine is limited. It'll take several months before they have enough supply for everyone to get the vaccine.

So once again as has been told to you before, don't expect things to start to go back to "normal" until at least fall. And then don't expect a mad rush to theaters, a lot of the population is going to be slow to return to mass gatherings like movie theaters. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't until late 2022 or early 2023 before you see completely packed movie theaters in all parts of the US like before. Some areas may bounce back quicker, but its going to be a long while before the entire US is completely back to "normal".

I know he wants everything to reopen as all of us do but movie theaters will probably not go back to some sense of "normal" to at least the summer at the earliest. For this to happen you need the major markets like NY and California to reopen.

Darkprime

Tony Perkis

The USA was supposed to have 20 million individuals vaccinated wits the first dose by the end of 2020. We are nowhere close to opening early.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hey I know you wanted some movies moved up earlier you might be getting your wish granted.

And it was at the urging of Legendary that its happening. And when it flops here domestically because no one will be going to theaters here in the US, WB will come back and say, "See this is why we were going with the day-and-date model of having it stream on HBO Max as well".

Archie123

And it was at the urging of Legendary that its happening. And when it flops here domestically because no one will be going to theaters here in the US, WB will come back and say, "See this is why we were going with the day-and-date model of having it stream on HBO Max as well".

Why do people think that movies going into the theaters is a good thing. They will all flop since like you said no one is going and that the major markets are all closed. This hybrid model to me is a genius idea. Those that want to see a movie in a theater can do so and those that feel it is still (and it is) unsafe can watch from their couch until which time this pandemic is over.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why do people think that movies going into the theaters is a good thing. They will all flop since like you said no one is going and that the major markets are all closed. This hybrid model to me is a genius idea. Those that want to see a movie in a theater can do so and those that feel it is still (and it is) unsafe can watch from their couch until which time this pandemic is over.
Its because people want things to go back to normal, and going to movies are normal. I was a huge theater goer, going at least once a week. But yeah, I don't see myself going back to a theater until at least July/August (maybe a bit earlier if I get the vaccine sooner).

Archie123

Its because people want things to go back to normal, and going to movies are normal. I was a huge theater goer, going at least once a week. But yeah, I don't see myself going back to a theater until at least July/August (maybe a bit earlier if I get the vaccine sooner).

Oh I know why fans want to go but most studios are still pushing back their films (007 for example) because they know if they release them now they will fail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom