US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

brodie999

Original Poster
Like I said no big movie will be moved up. Monster Hunter is not a big movie.
Like I said, you don't know what's gonna happen. Disney restructured their company with a new division they'll decide whether movies will go to cinemas or to streaming, so who knows? Some of their big movies might get pushed back up.

Archie123

Like I said, you don't know what's gonna happen. Disney restructured their company with a new division they'll decide whether movies will go to cinemas or to streaming, so who knows? Some of their big movies might get pushed back up.

They won’t move them back to 2020.

Ripken10

Correct. In 2021.
I agree. Nothing will get moved to 2020. Even if everything goes perfect between now and 2021, you won't see movies "moving up" in 2021. As of right now, the movie release calendar in 2021 is too crowded due to delays from 2020. It is inevitable that more movies will move for that very reason, not even taking into account the variable of how the recovery is going. It is more likely the big studios will not want to crowd the market when the first big movies do get released again. And when I say crowd -- they won't return to normal when it is time, as they will want to "test the waters" just like Tenet did all over again. So more movies will be moved back for that very reason again. Not to even factor in all the delays that have already occurred that have not been reflected in the release calendars (some have, but the full effect is not known -- movie a was already delayed, but it will have effects on movie b, c, etc, because this actor is not available now, this producer's schedule became impacted, this director has a backlog now, etc)

erasure fan1

It is more likely the big studios will not want to crowd the market when the first big movies do get released again.
Correct. And the big problem is, the movies keep piling up. If consumers stay away from theaters like has been said in surveys, small to mid level movies will probably get lost. Tent poles will most likely garner some business but if you have to choose between 3 or 4 movies, a large chunk of people might just see one. I think people aren't as excited to to leave their homes to go and do something they've been doing for the last year in their homes, as some might think.

Animaniac93-98

I for one, will not miss the multiplex experience if it gets significantly downscaled. Too often these places were propped up by trashy customers looking for a cheap place to park their kids or go on a date. They didn't care about how they acted in the theater, or the quality of the experience they paid for. This rewarded exhibitors who put the bear minimum into the experience and movie producers who greenlit garbage because the audience was increasingly willing to sit through anything (including Disney).

The last time I watched a movie in a theater was July 2019 to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I may never see a movie in a chain like AMC or Cineplex again, and I think I can live with that. I'm rooting for their downfall, not because I want to see the front-line staff unemployed, but because we deserve better as consumers.

BrianLo

I for one, will not miss the multiplex experience if it gets significantly downscaled. Too often these places were propped up by trashy customers looking for a cheap place to park their kids or go on a date. They didn't care about how they acted in the theater, or the quality of the experience they paid for. This rewarded exhibitors who put the bear minimum into the experience and movie producers who greenlit garbage because the audience was increasingly willing to sit through anything (including Disney).

The last time I watched a movie in a theater was July 2019 to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I may never see a movie in a chain like AMC or Cineplex again, and I think I can live with that. I'm rooting for their downfall, not because I want to see the front-line staff unemployed, but because we deserve better as consumers.

I preferentially go to Landmark and find the experience and audience tends to be good. Maybe it's a big city thing, or the times I go to movies, because I never really have these bad audiences people talk about...

Alamo Drafthouse of course being the high watermark. I'd love for them to expand into Canada.

J4546

i think disney should have a small 2-3 screen theater in downtown disney that plays new stuff and also old stuff. It would be so cool to watch lion king or a goofy movie on a big screen it would def ad to the disneyland experience for me. Esp if they had a late show at like 10 to I could catch a movie after the park closes before i go home

Archie123

Another sign things aren’t looking good right now for theaters, Warner Bros. announced that they are releasing Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max on Christmas Day. They are releasing it in theaters in countries that don’t carry HBO Max.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom