Updates to the Seas Pavilion

RSoxNo1

The sequel pulled in a billion dollars just three years ago.
@lentesta, are you able to see spikes in attendance at the Seas pavilion around Finding Dory? I'm guessing any attendance boost was negligible.

I reject the premise that IP based attractions are safer bets. An attraction like The Seas with Nemo and Friends is going to have an attendance boost like any new attraction cycle but it won't take long for people to recognize that it's not a gate busting attraction.

The push for an IP based attraction at the cost of thematic integrity is a short lived benefit. It's very much on brand with the quarter to quarter approach to corporate profits.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

The new signage is gorgeous and gives me a lot of hope that Disney cares about this EPCOT redo more than some people think. I was extremely excited to see it.

About IP...My problem with this pavilion is not that Nemo’s there, but with the execution. The film took such care to accurately depict the wonders and idiosyncrasies of marine life, and they could easily have used it to tie the pavilion to the real ocean even more. Instead, we got recycled Submarine Voyage assets.

RandySavage

The execution is awful, but the IP is poison, as well, IMO. Nemo IP killed Stormchaser at DisneySea in a similar way. The problem is the Nemo IP places the entire feel of the pavilion squarely in the "parents can come along, but this is really aimed at children" category. It would be like putting Bambi, Dumbo, Simba throughout Living with the Land - totally changes the tone and targeted demo, regardless of execution.

Some may argue, "this is DIsney world, aiming at children is the point", but if you knew and loved the original Future World, it has been a painful transformation to witness - and nowhere more poorly implemented than at The Living Seas. From the kindergarten cutout graphics to Duplo color scheme to the incredibly painful and repetitive "Where nemo?" script of the ride. I can think of no implementation of Nemo into the attraction that would have appealed to my younger (7-12yo) self.

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta, are you able to see spikes in attendance at the Seas pavilion around Finding Dory? I'm guessing any attendance boost was negligible.

I reject the premise that IP based attractions are safer bets. An attraction like The Seas with Nemo and Friends is going to have an attendance boost like any new attraction cycle but it won't take long for people to recognize that it's not a gate busting attraction.

The push for an IP based attraction at the cost of thematic integrity is a short lived benefit. It's very much on brand with the quarter to quarter approach to corporate profits.

I don't think there was a noticeable change in crowds in the two weeks around Finding Dory's release (June 17, 2016). Crowds were higher that year than in 2017, but not as high as in 2018.

RSoxNo1

I don't think there was a noticeable change in crowds in the two weeks around Finding Dory's release (June 17, 2016). Crowds were higher that year than in 2017, but not as high as in 2018.
Thanks.

Not that a single attraction is a proof of concept, but I find it hard to believe that familiarity with the IP results in the attendance boost any more than the simple "newness" factor. Iger stated that IP based attractions are safer bets, but I categorically reject that premise. It seems that without fail, quality will win out no matter what.

ppete1975

lets be honest, remove the fandom and nostalgia.
Old epcot was a school field trip, that had no correlation to Disney (you couldn't even find mickey in the centrariom) if my 8 year old self remembers right
New Epcot is fun, drinking, with rides, and Disney ips

To todays audience one would be an empty park one is a destination

So im sure nemo prob does create some rides that the old format wouldn't. kids: "look its nemo lets ride it".. compared to kids:"oh an aquarium we went to one of those at school, wheres the elsa meet and greet"

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks.

Not that a single attraction is a proof of concept, but I find it hard to believe that familiarity with the IP results in the attendance boost any more than the simple "newness" factor. Iger stated that IP based attractions are safer bets, but I categorically reject that premise. It seems that without fail, quality will win out no matter what.

I said something like this in a recent interview - we shouldn't pre-judge an attraction based on its IP, because ride quality is the thing that's going to make or break the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom