Updates to the Seas Pavilion

Disnerd2003

lets be honest, remove the fandom and nostalgia.
Old epcot was a school field trip, that had no correlation to Disney (you couldn't even find mickey in the centrariom) if my 8 year old self remembers right

Bocabear

Old epcot was a school field trip, that had no correlation to Disney (you couldn't even find mickey in the centrariom) if my 8 year old self remembers right
New Epcot is fun, drinking, with rides, and Disney ips

To todays audience one would be an empty park one is a destination

So im sure nemo prob does create some rides that the old format wouldn't. kids: "look its nemo lets ride it".. compared to kids:"oh an aquarium we went to one of those at school, wheres the elsa meet and greet"
I don't think anyone ever said of the original Living Seas "Oh look it's just an aquarium...we have one of those"... The old EPCOT was more than the sum of it's parts... The Living Seas was spectacular...a bit of history,a lot of imagination as you move to an undersea Seabase... It was amazing... Now it's a cartoon ride with an aquarium...but back then...you were transported to a real Sea Base.
I don't remember seeing kids bored...Not until they started closing attractions and not updating them. The original experience in EPCOT was far superior to what it is now...and PS there were always cocktail at EPCOT...that is not something new.

Mainahman

I don't think anyone ever said of the original Living Seas "Oh look it's just an aquarium...we have one of those"... The old EPCOT was more than the sum of it's parts... The Living Seas was spectacular...a bit of history,a lot of imagination as you move to an undersea Seabase... It was amazing... Now it's a cartoon ride with an aquarium...but back then...you were transported to a real Sea Base.
I don't remember seeing kids bored...Not until they started closing attractions and not updating them. The original experience in EPCOT was far superior to what it is now...and PS there were always cocktail at EPCOT...that is not something new.
I just want the hydrolators back :(

UNCgolf

So im sure nemo prob does create some rides that the old format wouldn't. kids: "look its nemo lets ride it".. compared to kids:"oh an aquarium we went to one of those at school, wheres the elsa meet and greet"

To my 8 year old self, EPCOT was the best park at Disney by far. I could have gone to WDW and just spent every day at EPCOT and been very happy.

You're probably right that the new direction is going to be better for Disney's bottom line, but that's very sad.

randyjackson

honestly wouldn’t mind seaing a clone of Nemo & Friends sea rider certainly isn’t the most technical advance ride but it’ll be a nice addition

danheaton

For some reason, The Seas with Nemo bothers me more than Gran Fiesta Tour in terms of having characters in place. It just feels like such a lazy attraction! Covering up the aquarium for a so-so dark ride doesn't fit for me. I feel like there is a way to still have Nemo if Disney really needs it and do a better job of spotlighting the aquarium. I do really like the new sign and seeing the logo, so it's not all bad, though.

General Mayhem

As someone who experienced EPCOT Center as a child it left the biggest impression on me of all the things in Walt Disney World. As annual pass holders in the 90's I would beg my parents to go to EPCOT more than the other 2 parks at the age of 5. It was Disney to me and was my favorite place in the world, the lack of "Disney" characters never once crossed my mind.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

If we’re being honest Mickey was in Centorium from 1984.
So that’s that.

Animaniac93-98

It's funny how despite Disney World getting bigger with more hotels and stuff to do, the resort feels smaller.

No longer are you visiting distinct worlds with their own identities. Now it's all just "Disney". Eat at the "Disney" restaurant. Go on the "Disney" ride at the "Disney" park. You see Belle 4 times in a day. Mickey's in every gift shop. You hear "Under the Sea" several times. It's repetitive and no where near as interesting.

Animaniac93-98

As you said, The Living Seas wasn't just an aquarium, it was a Sea Base. You had to line up first to watch the movie. Then you took an "elevator" to get to another location. Then an "underground" ride to get to where the fish "really" were. Then if you wanted to get back to Epcot, you had to take a different elevator to get out.

You didn't just walk in and see fish (at lest for the first 15 years). You had to take a journey to get there because the idea was the whole pavilion was underwater. If you were a kid, you really believed it. Or at least, you thought the park had a real basement where this place was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom