Updates on Kilamanjaro Safaris Refurb?

kcnole

I was just wondering, is the ride really too bumpy for a pregnant woman? I know the requirements say not to ride if pregnant, but is Disney just playing it safe, or is it really really a bad idea to go on if pregant? I will be 7 months pregant when I go and I have never been on the ride and I really want to experience it.

I really think its far more about playing it safe. Yes, the ride gets bumpy, and yes I suppose if there was a crash of vehicles or you hit a really hard bump, or some strange anomaly happened that it could cause danger to a pregnant woman or her child, but I hardly see anything on the ride in normal operations that could cause distress in any way.

Its kind of like the old Jaws ride at Universal. It stated that it wasn't safe for pregnant women, but the only thing I could find unsafe is the risk of falling while loading or unloading. Theme park lawyers have gotten a bit overly cautious to the point that any ride other than the smallest dark ride has a risk to people with heart problems, pregnancy, etc... To me that actually does a disservice because it makes people disregard the warnings on rides that really could do harm.

alissafalco

I really think its far more about playing it safe. Yes, the ride gets bumpy, and yes I suppose if there was a crash of vehicles or you hit a really hard bump, or some strange anomaly happened that it could cause danger to a pregnant woman or her child, but I hardly see anything on the ride in normal operations that could cause distress in any way.

Its kind of like the old Jaws ride at Universal. It stated that it wasn't safe for pregnant women, but the only thing I could find unsafe is the risk of falling while loading or unloading. Theme park lawyers have gotten a bit overly cautious to the point that any ride other than the smallest dark ride has a risk to people with heart problems, pregnancy, etc... To me that actually does a disservice because it makes people disregard the warnings on rides that really could do harm.

Thank you, yes I do feel that I will be fine going on this ride. My mother in law also told me its no more than a bumpy bus ride and that I would be fine. Unless Disney tells me I cant go on I plan on going.

nepalostparks

Who said I was confused? Hmmm to the vagueness of "fall" .

I think the vagueness is there because of dealing with live animals and live plants in the landscaping. If the landscaping takes without issue, and the zebras welcome the change into the new habitat, it could be early fall... if they run into issues with the weather, plantings, etc it could take longer.

alissafalco

I think the vagueness is there because of dealing with live animals and live plants in the landscaping. If the landscaping takes without issue, and the zebras welcome the change into the new habitat, it could be early fall... if they run into issues with the weather, plantings, etc it could take longer.

Well, they have plenty of leg room to play with.
The astronomical fall (Northern Hemisphere) begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Thursday, December 20, 2012

RSoxNo1

I was just wondering, is the ride really too bumpy for a pregnant woman? I know the requirements say not to ride if pregnant, but is Disney just playing it safe, or is it really really a bad idea to go on if pregant? I will be 7 months pregant when I go and I have never been on the ride and I really want to experience it.
The ride is very bumpy. I would say don't go on it, my sister didn't when she was pregnant based on previous knowledge of the ride. Having said that, if you're having a relatively easy pregnancy you may feel comfortable doing it. If Test Track will be open on your trip (although it doesn't sound like it will be) I would try that first. I would say Kilimanjaro Safaris is probably midway between Test Track and Dinosaur in terms of bumpiness.

Biff215

My wife was a little more than 7 months pregnant this past trip in late June. She really wanted to ride KS but listened to the warnings and did not ride. I agree that the lawyers often get too cautious, but you also don't want to become that one in a million to have a problem on the ride. Since there are no seat belts and is not controlled by a track or ride system, I tend to agree with them on this one.

I also wouldn't recommend Test Track or Dinosaur, as both feature jerky movements that could at the very least make you feel uncomfortable on the ride. It stinks to miss some of the premier rides, but play it safe and adhere to the warnings. Hopefully you can take another trip once your baby is old enough to ride with you!

Mrs. Jobson

Thank you, yes I do feel that I will be fine going on this ride. My mother in law also told me its no more than a bumpy bus ride and that I would be fine. Unless Disney tells me I cant go on I plan on going.

Take it from a former driver. It is not safe for an expectant mother. There have been instances that I do not care to go into. Every attraction has warning signs at the front entrance. They are there for a reason. They cannot tell you that you cannot ride. They can advise you not to for the sake of your unborn child. I wouldn't risk it though. I went to Disney World when I was pregnant and did not ride it. As many times I drove that route day after day. I knew it was not safe and did not take a chance.

I would always tell the guests that had questions on if they should ride being pregnant that they could see a lot of the same animals over at the Lodge. Just not the big cats. You actually get to spend more time looking at them there and enjoying them longer. Something to think about. Hope your pregnancy is going well. Have a great trip.

Two beeps and a Twende, see ya in two weeks!

*RIP Wilson and Little Red

alissafalco

oh bummer :(:( Ok, so now I'm being swayed the other way not to go. I was soooo looking forward to it!! This really was the only ride I was considering going on that had the pregnancy warning.I just figured a bumpy bus ride I could handle and would be ok. My pregnancy is going great and I feel great, but I guess I will just have to wait until next year. Everyone is right, its really not worth the risk of being that 1 in a million person that something happens to. Thanks for all the input everyone.

DisneyPrincess84

Maybe this has been said already, but didn't there used to be zebras on the safari a long time ago?

I could be getting it confused with the safari ride at Busch Gardens though...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
oh bummer :(:( Ok, so now I'm being swayed the other way not to go. I was soooo looking forward to it!! This really was the only ride I was considering going on that had the pregnancy warning.I just figured a bumpy bus ride I could handle and would be ok. My pregnancy is going great and I feel great, but I guess I will just have to wait until next year. Everyone is right, its really not worth the risk of being that 1 in a million person that something happens to. Thanks for all the input everyone.
It's all about your level of comfort. I know my wife rode it 8 months pregnant and was fine. I think it just makes sense for each person to go by their own level of comfortability in it. Ask you doctor and make your decision based on how you feel about it. If you feel at all nervous after speaking with your doctor, err on the side of caution.

nepalostparks

Maybe this has been said already, but didn't there used to be zebras on the safari a long time ago?

I could be getting it confused with the safari ride at Busch Gardens though...

They most certainly were out on the main part of the safari before. I can hardly wait to try for another shot like this:

100_0569-001.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom