Updates on Kilamanjaro Safaris Refurb?

MickeyPeace

I rode it today and I have to say no poacher story, no bridge shake and no geysers equal one hell of a dull attraction. I know a lot of people think that KS is an attraction in itself, but after riding today I disagree. The zebras will be a great addition, but I guess I didn't realize how much I liked the poacher plot until it was gone.
I'm sure many people are going to feel this way. As I said earlier, Disney is all about story. Without a story on this attraction, it is just a ride through.
What I find funny and predictable (now that I've been here a while) about the WDWMAGIC boards is that people complain about attractions that they want to change (such as the spiel in the safari) and when they get it they lament the loss and wish for the good ole days.

djlaosc

The entire story now depends on the driver with no Wilson to lean on...That means that some safaris are great, and some...well...we all know how that goes.

So it's actually is a "real life" Jungle Cruise now - all depends on the driver/skipper!

We tend to only do Jungle Cruise once per holiday because of this - wonder if we'll feel the same about the Safari?

MickeyPeace

Story, story elements, series of experiences..we all understand what is meant by "Disney is about story". Is that what you're sighing about?
If you want to be particular, everyone should stop using the word theming to describe Disney attractions. The correct word is prop or propping.
Joe Rohde talks about story and theme (how the word is misused) at the 5:00 minute mark in the video.

coilback

Regardless of the terminology, one thing I always felt that Disney did better than anything else was cover every detail (as much as realistically possible) to immerse you in the "theme" of that particular attraction. That's what sets them apart from places such as Six Flags or even Universal to a point (Universal seems to just sorta dabble in it enough to make the walls look pretty and throw in some random props). While I thought the poacher story was a little cheesy, it did set it apart from other places (such as zoos, or even other drive through Wildlife Parks - while not as common now - that used to be around). Sometimes we have to remember that, as adults, our imaginations can be "dulled" a bit because we "know" what the real deal is, but for a child, many times, they ARE on that adventure and they ARE helping Wilson catch poachers. I know, growing up and going to Disney as a child, that's what did it for me. You really could EASILY believe you were going into Space, or sailing with Pirates, rather than just standing in line for the next coaster. Saying that, I believe Disney should always try and "plus" things like they do, but not just water them down for the sake of budget or ease of construction. That's what got me down a bit when I saw more of that directly when working there. Anyway, there's my two cents, I'll pick up my soapbox and go home now ;-P

wolf359

I think the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion examples are good ones. Both attractions have elements that imply a story without clearly and obviously stating a beginning/middle/end structure. I think one of the reasons those attractions are so universally popular is they present a detailed environment that allows the guest to absorb and experience the different elements in whatever way they like. There is no "right" interpretation of what you're seeing that is explicitly forced on the guest.

So in my mind presenting a version of the Safari that is less story-driven and more experience-driven is preferable. Not only are the visuals already pretty spectacular but there is by nature a random element to the attraction. I've always found the blend of a random animal experience paired with a fixed and inflexible poacher storyline awkward at best and annoying at worst.

djlaosc

I think the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion examples are good ones. Both attractions have elements that imply a story without clearly and obviously stating a beginning/middle/end structure. I think one of the reasons those attractions are so universally popular is they present a detailed environment that allows the guest to absorb and experience the different elements in whatever way they like. There is no "right" interpretation of what you're seeing that is explicitly forced on the guest.

So in my mind presenting a version of the Safari that is less story-driven and more experience-driven is preferable. Not only are the visuals already pretty spectacular but there is by nature a random element to the attraction. I've always found the blend of a random animal experience paired with a fixed and inflexible poacher storyline awkward at best and annoying at worst.

I love Pirates of the Caribbean, and I love Haunted Mansion, but one difference between those attractions and the Safari is the inclusion of the driver. I would hate for the Safari to turn into an experience like if you have an awkward Jungle Cruise, where you have other guests not responding to the driver/skipper, and the driver/skipper does some jokes which there is just silence afterwards, with people not wanting to get involved, or they just do their pity laughs to try to break the awkwardness and get the skipper to move on to the next joke.

If the driver sticks to providing information, and we still have the African music to break the silence, it should be fine. It's if they start trying to get some guest interaction and nobody wants to get involved/they just want to look at the animals, that it will start to get awkward.

coilback

Understood, but, in my opinion, if you are driving a truck through a wooded area full of animals, it's another drive thru safari park (we've had a few down here), and nothing to separate Disney's version. They spent a lot of time telling everyone it's "Natazu" and that would bring it closer to becoming one - at least in that attraction.

Tip Top Club

That's it! How'd you know?! They're also going to add a living characters of Simba, Pumbaa, and Rafiki to replace the Lions, Warthogs, and Mandills, respectively. I know I can't wait!

Amused to Death

So, are they not driving quickly through the geyser area or the poacher camp anymore?

I was on the safari yesterday. The poacher's camp is gone. The geysers are gone too. And, no, the driver did not race his way through those areas.

I can't say that I missed any of the old storyline. They might want to lose the bit about being on a two-week safari, though. Without the chase at the end, they're now telling you that they must have taken a wrong turn, that they don't recognize the area with the rocks/waterfalls, and that they'll have to cut the safari short. If they don't recognize the area, how is it that the unloading area happens to be right there? :confused:

The zebra area is still under construction, but we got a sneak peek at a lone zebra that was grazing on top of the hill that can be seen from across the broken shaking bridge.

I'd love to be able to ride it, and I'm thinking that if they remove the bumpy part of the end, then they will also remove the pregnancy warning. The rest of the ride is pretty tame.

Just don't sit in the very last row. That's where I was yesterday. And I took several very hard hits that were quite painful on my lower back. :eek:

Alektronic

Regardless of the terminology, one thing I always felt that Disney did better than anything else was cover every detail (as much as realistically possible) to immerse you in the "theme" of that particular attraction. That's what sets them apart from places such as Six Flags or even Universal to a point (Universal seems to just sorta dabble in it enough to make the walls look pretty and throw in some random props). While I thought the poacher story was a little cheesy, it did set it apart from other places (such as zoos, or even other drive through Wildlife Parks - while not as common now - that used to be around). Sometimes we have to remember that, as adults, our imaginations can be "dulled" a bit because we "know" what the real deal is, but for a child, many times, they ARE on that adventure and they ARE helping Wilson catch poachers. I know, growing up and going to Disney as a child, that's what did it for me. You really could EASILY believe you were going into Space, or sailing with Pirates, rather than just standing in line for the next coaster. Saying that, I believe Disney should always try and "plus" things like they do, but not just water them down for the sake of budget or ease of construction. That's what got me down a bit when I saw more of that directly when working there. Anyway, there's my two cents, I'll pick up my soapbox and go home now ;-P

But that was part of the problem with the Safari finale, it was too real, so they wanted to dull it or dumb it down. WDI did a great job making the poacher chase more realistic including gunshots bouncing off the safari truck and everyone feeling them. Am overturned poacher jeep with the wheels still spinning and and a steering wheel bouncing back and forth and smoke coming out like it just crashed. A Big Red carcass was removed and it once had a fully functional AA figure for Little Red. But then the warden was removed and was replaced by a real warden to make it more realistic but not too violent. Then instead of maintaining it, they just slowly starting turning things off and removing other things, then it was just a shell of it's former self, finally it was just time to remove everything instead of just properly maintaining it.

RSoxNo1

The zebra area is still under construction, but we got a sneak peek at a lone zebra that was grazing on top of the hill that can be seen from across the broken shaking bridge.

That's not new. This is a small viewing area of a larger backstage Savannah. This is where Zebras have been for quite some time.

alissafalco

I was just wondering, is the ride really too bumpy for a pregnant woman? I know the requirements say not to ride if pregnant, but is Disney just playing it safe, or is it really really a bad idea to go on if pregant? I will be 7 months pregant when I go and I have never been on the ride and I really want to experience it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom