Announcement Updated version of WDWMAGIC Forums now live

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This appears to be an issue with iOS 11.2.5 and our editor. It all looks OK on the upcoming iOS 11.3. I'm still investigating.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My data is messy because i just uodated to ios11 too yesterday.

So for me it was in the last 48hrs... on ipad air2. In either layout. On iphone its fine
Could you try going to Settings, Safari, Advanced, Website Data. Then find WDWMAGIC.COM, hit Edit in the top right, and then the - against WDWMAGIC.COM.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could you try going to Settings, Safari, Advanced, Website Data. Then find WDWMAGIC.COM, hit Edit in the top right, and then the - against WDWMAGIC.COM.

So testing in safari ( which I never use... I included for another frame of reference)...

Hitting reply jumps to the top of the edit box... but it’s hidden behind the keyboard. But once you start typing and scroll... it is staying in place and not jumping.

However... still had some problems with the cursor trying to go outside the box. In a test post it did it.... but not this post. The other had images in the text area... this one does not.

Tried to capture it... happens when I hit enter and the cursor is at the bottom line of the text input box
0D5413EF-8407-4D65-8509-09EF982C79C5.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
Still on 11.2.5 here and it really kills the ability to use the site. Add to the problem clicking next at the bottom of a thread (for next page) is not always taking to the first post on the new page. It’s ending up in the middle of the page. Again chrome on iPad Air 2. Seems intermittent - wondering if the ad differences are in play

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Still on 11.2.5 here and it really kills the ability to use the site. Add to the problem clicking next at the bottom of a thread (for next page) is not always taking to the first post on the new page. It’s ending up in the middle of the page. Again chrome on iPad Air 2. Seems intermittent - wondering if the ad differences are in play
I've got a new version of the editor in the pipeline that will hopefully help with these issues.

Castle Cake Apologist

So, I gave myself a little time to get used to it before forming an opinion, and I really like it overall. I just have a couple minor gripes:

1. The alert notifications are still not auto-refreshing on desktop or mobile. I know you said earlier in the thread that you were working on this issue, so I wondered if there was an update at all on if that feature might be returning soon? I have to physically refresh the page to see notification alerts.
2. Is there any way to put thread navigation back at the top as well? It's somewhat annoying to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to be able to navigate through the thread.
3. "Jump to New" seems to take me a random recent post, and not to the last post that I read, or even the last post that was added. I really liked the "Go to last unread" feature that we used to have.

Again, minor gripes. I love the new look overall. It's a lot more streamlined and modern looking, and it seems to function even better than before.

Steve, I can't thank you enough for everything that you do to keep this place running. Your dedication to us and this forum family is absolutely incredible. The fact that many of us have been posting here for nearly 20 years should speak volumes to our respect for you and this website.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I gave myself a little time to get used to it before forming an opinion, and I really like it overall. I just have a couple minor gripes:

1. The alert notifications are still not auto-refreshing on desktop or mobile. I know you said earlier in the thread that you were working on this issue, so I wondered if there was an update at all on if that feature might be returning soon? I have to physically refresh the page to see notification alerts.
2. Is there any way to put thread navigation back at the top as well? It's somewhat annoying to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to be able to navigate through the thread.
3. "Jump to New" seems to take me a random recent post, and not to the last post that I read, or even the last post that was added. I really liked the "Go to last unread" feature that we used to have.

Again, minor gripes. I love the new look overall. It's a lot more streamlined and modern looking, and it seems to function even better than before.

Steve, I can't thank you enough for everything that you do to keep this place running. Your dedication to us and this forum family is absolutely incredible. The fact that many of us have been posting here for nearly 20 years should speak volumes to our respect for you and this website.
1. The live alerts that we had before was causing a high load on the database (essentially in the background the system was constantly polling the database to see if there were any alerts pending). I'm looking at doing it in a more efficient way, but it isnt ready yet. It is on the roadmap however.

2. This one seems to be a matter of personal preference. I know for myself, I like the cleaner look without nav at top and bottom, but others like yourself prefer both. I'll look and see I can perhaps do an option to allow the user to choose either or.

3. I'll look into this is a possible bug, I'm not aware of a problem with this.

Glad to hear that on the whole things are better for you!

Castle Cake Apologist

1. The live alerts that we had before was causing a high load on the database (essentially in the background the system was constantly polling the database to see if there were any alerts pending). I'm looking at doing it in a more efficient way, but it isnt ready yet. It is on the roadmap however.

2. This one seems to be a matter of personal preference. I know for myself, I like the cleaner look without nav at top and bottom, but others like yourself prefer both. I'll look and see I can perhaps do an option to allow the user to choose either or.

3. I'll look into this is a possible bug, I'm not aware of a problem with this.

Glad to hear that on the whole things are better for you!

The alerts thing is a VERY minor complaint, so if it's bogging down the server or costing you extra, then by all means - leave it the way it is.

That would be really nice, if we could be given the option to have page navigation on top and bottom. Then everybody is happy! :D I will say that I really like having the ability to type in a specific page number when navigating a thread.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey @wdwmagic , I know you're more of an Apple guy, but I just wanted to let you know about an issue I have been encountering on Android. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Android 8.0. My issue is that when scrolling through the mobile site, and someone quotes a post containing a video, it looks strange. This is what it looks like: View attachment 274376
Thanks for reporting.

This one is a browser issue. It’s fixed in an upcoming Chrome release. 👍

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Has there been a recent update? I can no longer see the text box when composing a message on an iPad using Chrome. It is impossible to “type blind” so to speak.

EDIT: This appears to just be a Chrome issue as I can see the text box when composing on Safari.

Can the text box be made larger? I am trying to compose a trip report entry on an iPad with photos added in between text comments. After I inserted the first photo I can no longer see space to write under the inserted photo without manually scrolling up. And if I have to erase (or backspace) the cursor jumps back to the photo and I have to start the process over again. This is very frustrating and much more time consuming. Under the old format I could see the entire post as I was composing without having to scroll with my finger. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.
Thanks. I was using Chrome and switched to Safari. On Safari I could make the box about twice as large as it was on Chrome, but still ran into the same issue when erasing, backspacing or returning. And I when finished I still could not see the entire post (even in “preview mode”) as I formerly could under the old format.
I still have the "small text box" issue (and the problems noted above) on my iPad, both in Chrome and Safari, even in preview mode.

I have adapted to this new format in all areas except this one. I primarily use my iPad for this site and was hoping the ability to compose a long post (with photos) would be restored to the way it used to be.

Thank you for your forbearance in putting up with user complaints! I really appreciate all you do.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has there been a recent update? I can no longer see the text box when composing a message on an iPad using Chrome. It is impossible to “type blind” so to speak.
No changes this end in the past month. Sounds like it may be a Chrome update that has broken it. I'll look into it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom