Upcoming/Rumored Projects

doctornick

I'm not sure a nighttime show would be appropriate at DAK, simply because of the animals. I'm not sure how well they could isolate the animals from pyrotechnics, so as not to scare them. A parade, perhaps, but most likely no fireworks of any kind.

I think the idea is for a World of Color show, without pyro. If that is done near the front of the park and has the sound projection oriented south, I don't think it would be bothersome for the animals at all. It's low to the ground, so it's not like there would be effects that are high in the sky that could be seen from the safari land, etc.

Tom

Beta Return
I think the idea is for a World of Color show, without pyro. If that is done near the front of the park and has the sound projection oriented south, I don't think it would be bothersome for the animals at all. It's low to the ground, so it's not like there would be effects that are high in the sky that could be seen from the safari land, etc.

That would probably work, but where in the heck would it go?

doctornick

That would probably work, but where in the heck would it go?

I think the plan would be to build a new body of water in part of the CMM/Avatar plot. It's a pretty big area, once you include all the undeveloped land currently used for just parking along with the current CMM land and backstage for it.

The interesting thing is that there's actually an existing body of water in that area. I don't know if it's possible to somehow "retrofit" that for use for a WoC type show (which would have to involve draining it and then paving it to make it into a giant swimming pool essentially) -- probably would not be cost effective.

RSoxNo1

Ok, good point. I would also prefer that Pandora not become overwhelming in the park. 3 attractions new to the park - wherever they go - would be a minimum. 4 would be ideal. Another crowd-eating E, with C's and D's.

I'm not sure a nighttime show would be appropriate at DAK, simply because of the animals. I'm not sure how well they could isolate the animals from pyrotechnics, so as not to scare them. A parade, perhaps, but most likely no fireworks of any kind.

To me, personally, the park already seems show-heavy. The trails are nice, but just knowing how society is these days, they really need to add rides to keep interest peaked.
I'm going into the D23 Expo expecting the following announcements:
Magic Kingdom
  • Wishes replacement
Epcot
  • Soarin' The World
  • Captain EO replacement
Hollywood Studios
  • Either a full Cars Land or a Star Wars Land
Animal Kingdom
  • Avatar details on the E and C ticket
I honestly think that is the absolute minimum they can announce without significant backlash. I suspect this will probably be padded by more DHS content, perhaps something else substantial for Epcot, and a nighttime show or Panda exhibit in DAK.

Pixiedustmaker

Magic Kingdom
  • Wishes replacement
Epcot
  • Soarin' The World
  • Captain EO replacement
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom
I honestly think that is the absolute minimum they can announce without significant backlash.I suspect this will probably be padded by more DHS content, perhaps something else substantial for Epcot, and a nighttime show or Panda exhibit in DAK.

Backlash from who? Theme park attendance at WDW is up, DHS and AK are raking in guests. Shareholders aren't upset, they're looking at Shanghai and rumblings about Brazil. The average guest is voting with his or her feet and is visiting the parks more . . .

Given that DCA might not get as many guests as DHS in 2013 . . . I don't see them doing anything major at this park. In fact, it seems that all of the parks are bursting at the seams. If they want to address ride capacity issues, then they can add a new land which is not built on previously existing attractions or build the fifth gate at the site east of the Ticket and Transportation Center. If they announce planning for a Star Wars/Carsland/Monstropolis park, then they might be able to open it a couple years after Episode VII opens in theaters.

I get that some fans want whole sections of a successful theme park reworked, but remember that Carsland was built on a parking lot. Doesn't make sense, given the huge number of guests, to completely take out functioning attractions and replace them with some else as attendance is growing and you have stories of guests paying disabled people to help them cut lines.

If, (gracias in part to Potterland 1.0 & 2.0), WDW grows by 2% each year in attendance, over the next 5 years that would be an extra 5 million guests . . . I don't think folks realize that ripping out Backlot and putting in Carsland won't accomodate these guests who will be coming. When you talk about the need to accomodate maybe 5 million guests over the next 5-7 years, plus having a buffer for 10 million guests over the next decade . . . you need a fifth gate to do that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Backlash from who? Theme park attendance at WDW is up, DHS and AK are raking in guests. Shareholders aren't upset, they're looking at Shanghai and rumblings about Brazil. The average guest is voting with his or her feet and is visiting the parks more . . .

Given that DCA might not get as many guests as DHS in 2013 . . . I don't see them doing anything major at this park. In fact, it seems that all of the parks are bursting at the seams. If they want to address ride capacity issues, then they can add a new land which is not built on previously existing attractions or build the fifth gate at the site east of the Ticket and Transportation Center. If they announce planning for a Star Wars/Carsland/Monstropolis park, then they might be able to open it a couple years after Episode VII opens in theaters.

I get that some fans want whole sections of a successful theme park reworked, but remember that Carsland was built on a parking lot. Doesn't make sense, given the huge number of guests, to completely take out functioning attractions and replace them with some else as attendance is growing and you have stories of guests paying disabled people to help them cut lines.

If, (gracias in part to Potterland 1.0 & 2.0), WDW grows by 2% each year in attendance, over the next 5 years that would be an extra 5 million guests . . . I don't think folks realize that ripping out Backlot and putting in Carsland won't accomodate these guests who will be coming. When you talk about the need to accomodate maybe 5 million guests over the next 5-7 years, plus having a buffer for 10 million guests over the next decade . . . you need a fifth gate to do that.

Didn't stop them from doing that in MK when the Fantasyland expansion was built.

RSoxNo1

Disney got 2.2% in attendance in a year where Universal didn't open any new attractions. They're opening 3 E-tickets in a one year period.

Pixiedustmaker

Didn't stop them from doing that in MK when the Fantasyland expansion was built.

Given that the Subs were taken out a while ago, I'd consider NFL to be the sort of de novo land project which expands guest/ride/restaurant capacity, which it certainly does. SWSA was "taken out", but they didn't demolish the building, but repurposed it.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney got 2.2% in attendance in a year where Universal didn't open any new attractions. They're opening 3 E-tickets in a one year period.

Some people plan vacations years in advance, and certainly there are people who haven't made it out to Uni to see Potterland yet, and Potterland 2.0 looks amazing and will draw in tourists into Orlando. Not sure exactly what your point was here, though.

Sure, I hate it that they took out residential street on the Backlot, and the attraction isn't what it once was, but it is unique and could be drastically altered/upgraded without the $600 million Carsland, which would lose them backstage areas.

I don't think anybody can argue with a straight face that DHS needs to be "fixed", from the standpoint of what makes financial sense for the company. DCA was losing money for the resort and was a publicity debacle, not at all the case with DHS.

PeterAlt

I actually think 2 rides for Pandora would be perfect, since I don't want to see DAK go to heavy into that one IP. I rather like the idea of a top quality E-ticket and a family friendly C-ticket for Pandora. But I think that DAK needs more in addition to that -- whether it be a new land entirely or additions to other lands in the park. To be a full day park, I think it needs at least 4 more rides + a big entertainment offering at night (show or parade).
What DAK needs is Australia. It would be "cheap" to make since there are no dark rides or E tickets to be included. Just lots of animals. A safari-type ride through the out-back to see the kangaroos and other animals. A walk-through glass enclosure to see the koala bears up-close.

After all, this is ANIMAL Kingdom! Isn't it? Animals at Animal Kingdom? Such a radical idea...

Tom

Beta Return
What DAK needs is Australia. It would be "cheap" to make since there are no dark rides or E tickets to be included. Just lots of animals. A safari-type ride through the out-back to see the kangaroos and other animals. A walk-through glass enclosure to see the koala bears up-close.

After all, this is ANIMAL Kingdom! Isn't it? Animals at Animal Kingdom? Such a radical idea...

Oh yeah, add more petting zoos and glass-enclosed animal exhibits to the park. That's what it needs to help entice guests to visit and to increase touring time.

Or even clones of their own rides. Yeah, DAK, let's expand but do it cheaply. Very cheaply.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

You know what I have heard guests say over and over about AK? There aren't enough rides.
You know what I have never heard them say? AK needs more animals.

RSoxNo1

Some people plan vacations years in advance, and certainly there are people who haven't made it out to Uni to see Potterland yet, and Potterland 2.0 looks amazing and will draw in tourists into Orlando. Not sure exactly what your point was here, though.

Sure, I hate it that they took out residential street on the Backlot, and the attraction isn't what it once was, but it is unique and could be drastically altered/upgraded without the $600 million Carsland, which would lose them backstage areas.

I don't think anybody can argue with a straight face that DHS needs to be "fixed", from the standpoint of what makes financial sense for the company. DCA was losing money for the resort and was a publicity debacle, not at all the case with DHS.
I'm not sure what your point is. Is it that Disney should return to the MGM studios roots in lieu of a franchise based expansion?

doctornick

You know what I have heard guests say over and over about AK? There aren't enough rides.
You know what I have never heard them say? AK needs more animals.

Agreed. Sure, adding more animals would be reasonable or expected if you do an expansion of a new continental land (like Australia). And having kangaroos and koalas would enhance the experience at DAK.

But what DAK needs is more rides, far more than additional animals. There's nothing wrong with theme parks having walk throughs, animals, shows or other entertainment but ultimates rides are what are the backbone of such parks.

PeterAlt

Oh yeah, add more petting zoos and glass-enclosed animal exhibits to the park. That's what it needs to help entice guests to visit and to increase touring time.

Or even clones of their own rides. Yeah, DAK, let's expand but do it cheaply. Very cheaply.
I'm not saying don't add more rides. It needs to have a complete collection of animals in order to compete with Busch Gardens and Miami Metro Zoo. It can present Australia, for example, as a ride - like the safari ride in Africa in a style only Disney has mastered.

South America can have an Amazon River adventure boat ride and get a close encounter with anacondas (real ones) for example.

The Outback ride (in Australia) can be about the history of the continent. It can have a scene in ancient history with giant AA's of extinct giant wingless birds.

It can discuss the history of humans first coming to the continent and show the aborigines having a "dream time" ritual to teach the younger generation a lesson in conservationism. The ritual takes us back to the early days of aboriginie settlement. Here, we see the extinct animals, such as the giant birds and the romantism of the hunt. We see an aboriginie family hunt animals with amazing skill.

In the next scene, we are startled by the blaze of fire. We are the animals being hunted! Arrows fly at us, barely missing us. We run fast. Then faster. A blaze of fire approaches is quickly. Before the blaze could catch up, from beyond the horizon in front of us, another blaze closes in. Soon, we are surrounded by a single giant blaze of fire that closes in on us quickly. We take a final leap into the blaze because there is no where else to run.

In the next scene, our animal souls ascend into heaven. We look down to see the continent as a big burning forest. As we ascend, we see the delicate blue planet we call Earth. Soon, all we see are stars and an eerie silence.

The silence turns into the sound of crickets and the crackling of a camp fire. We are now back at the modern day aboriginie dream time ritual. We see a long cast shadow and our tribe elder talking to us from a lit camp fire. "Where there were forests, there is now dessert," he says...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Given that the Subs were taken out a while ago, I'd consider NFL to be the sort of de novo land project which expands guest/ride/restaurant capacity, which it certainly does. SWSA was "taken out", but they didn't demolish the building, but repurposed it.

You missed the point I was trying to make. You said they wouldn't replace Backlot of LMA at DHS because of the capacity hit it would cause, but in MK, an even more crowded park, they were ok with closures of Toon Town, Dumbo and SWSA to make way for new things in the expansion.

Genie of the Lamp

Magic Kingdom
  • Wishes replacement
Epcot

• Soarin' The World
  • Captain EO replacement
Hollywood Studios

Animal Kingdom

I honestly think that is the absolute minimum they can announce without significant backlash. I suspect this will probably be padded by more DHS content, perhaps something else substantial for Epcot, and a nighttime show or Panda exhibit in DAK.

God I'd love me a Panda Exhibit (just not the one in the Balls of Fury movie).:) Sadly, I think you're expectations are a little to high. Not shooting you down or disagreeing with you, just trying to be realistic here. They do need to make quite a few substantial announcements after what happened in 2011, but I just don't see them making all these confirmations in August.

Let's go back to the D23 P&R segment in 2009 and what they -announced/+presented there:
-Fantasyland Expansion at MK
-Star Tours 2.0 for DHS and DLR
+Cars land artwork and CGI clip of ride segment
-Toy Story Playland at HKDL
+Aulani Artwork
+Disney Dream Cruise Ship progress

Since that was the Expo with real substantial announcements, here's what I'm expecting for this year's P&R Expo presentation (in no particular order):
-Monstropolis area in DCA with the Door Coaster
-DHS makeover
-Soarin The World
+Avatarland artwork/details
+Final updates on SDMT/PFTH
-Details/updates on Shanghai DL resort plans
+Lastly, artwork/mockups on Kitchen Calamity (Ratatouille ride and area at WDSP)

Again, just trying to be realistic and lower expectations (at least from the WDW fan side/perspective). Do I want them to announce those projects you have listed above for WDW? Yes, but I just don't see that happening. We will see I guess. D23 can't come soon enough!

Tom

Beta Return
God I'd love me a Panda Exhibit (just not the one in the Balls of Fury movie).:) Sadly, I think you're expectations are a little to high. Not shooting you down or disagreeing with you, just trying to be realistic here. They do need to make quite a few substantial announcements after what happened in 2011, but I just don't see them making all these confirmations in August.

Let's go back to the D23 P&R segment in 2009 and what they -announced/+presented there:
-Fantasyland Expansion at MK
-Star Tours 2.0 for DHS and DLR
+Cars land artwork and CGI clip of ride segment
-Toy Story Playland at HKDL
+Aulani Artwork
+Disney Dream Cruise Ship progress

Since that was the Expo with real substantial announcements, here's what I'm expecting for this year's P&R Expo presentation (in no particular order):
-Monstropolis area in DCA with the Door Coaster
-DHS makeover
-Soarin The World
+Avatarland artwork/details
+Final updates on SDMT/PFTH
-Details/updates on Shanghai DL resort plans
+Lastly, artwork/mockups on Kitchen Calamity (Ratatouille ride and area at WDSP)

Again, just trying to be realistic and lower expectations (at least from the WDW fan side/perspective). Do I want them to announce those projects you have listed above for WDW? Yes, but I just don't see that happening. We will see I guess. D23 can't come soon enough!

I'd love for this to be right, but I'll be absolutely blown away if they say or show anything that even remotely implies something related to Avatar.

I hope they surprise us with something even better for that plot of land. Obviously something's going there, or they wouldn't be moving FotLK. But I'm not an insider and I've only seen the 2 year old plans for a nondescript ride.

And I hope the "DHS" makeover is more than just getting rid of the hat.

Pixiedustmaker

You missed the point I was trying to make. You said they wouldn't replace Backlot of LMA at DHS because of the capacity hit it would cause, but in MK, an even more crowded park, they were ok with closures of Toon Town, Dumbo and SWSA to make way for new things in the expansion.

But it didn't take them 3 years to move Dumbo!

Didn't the move just take months? Yes, they closed SWSA and Toontown, but they worked to reopen areas fairly quickly, plus the big picture is that NFL has greatly improved guest/ride capacity.

MK has more guests, certainly, per year, but it is also much bigger than DHS. So, losing SWSA and Toontown is less of a percentage hit, than with what the construction would involve with DHS . . . nonetheless, they really rushed to make sure Dumbo was moved fairly quickly. Toontown Faire closed in Feb. 2011, and about a year later in March 2012 Dumbo soft opened, I believe, taking maybe 2-3 months to move it from Fantasyland.

Given the desperate need for new lands/ride to soak up guests, I think a new project would have to justify itself by projecting how much it increases capacity at a given park. Presumably, Carsland at DHS (logistically a challenge), would probably take 3 years to build during which none of it would be open, plus they had have to spend $$ to move backstage areas.

Carsland at DHS would cause a larger loss in ride capacity as a percentage of rides at DHS, and you wouldn't get nearly as much bang for the buck as building on undeveloped land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom