Upcoming/Rumored Projects

lazyboy97o

I hope this won't be like Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers - being made in parallel with the movie only to find out that the movie bombs and the ride subsequently gets cancelled.

Bugs, I think, is the only example of an attraction that was made in parellel to the film. Fortunately, for Bugs, the film was a success. Then, again, Bugs was a Pixar film and all Pixar films have been a success. Planes, on the other hand, is not a Pixar film.

Any word if this is the mystery EC project that was said to be opening 2015, or is this something else, in addition to that?
In all the hoopla surrounding the Pixar acquisition, it was repeatedly said that part of Joh Lasster's role at Walt Disney Imagineering would include getting attractions open much closer to their box office debut.

It's Tough to be a Bug actually opened before A Bug's Life, which is why the animation was not done by Pixar.

PeterAlt

I said this in the Carsland thread and I'll say it again, 2016?!?! I don't care about a new movie 3 years in advance. That will change 45 times before then and given there's no construction cost, nothing to see - I just don't even care yet.
Wow, people here are short on patience! It takes five years to design and build a good quality attraction. So, be grateful that it's no sooner - or it may be of compatible quality to Journey Into Your Imagination or worse!

So, looking back years ago for rumors of project leaks is actually a more accurate way to see what may be coming soon. I know of one - the Monsters Inc Coaster at Pixar Place in DHS. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce that over the next several months.

PeterAlt

In all the hoopla surrounding the Pixar acquisition, it was repeatedly said that part of Joh Lasster's role at Walt Disney Imagineering would include getting attractions open much closer to their box office debut.

It's Tough to be a Bug actually opened before A Bug's Life, which is why the animation was not done by Pixar.
I don't think Lasseter has the power that they promised to give him. His high point was getting Cars Land and especially RRS through. This is one thing I seriously hope I'm wrong about and that the best Imagineering under his watch is yet to come!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Interesting. The soarin over the world would be a great way to fresh in it up, though making it a planes theme makes it a bit unappealing to me. Depending on how planes does in the box office, I can see a planes ride using the twister system over at DHS though I only see that happening if planes is a hit, which I don't expect it to be sadly, hopeful planes will prove me wrong though.

The movie is looking like it will be a hit. That's why it went from a direct to DVD to full theater. It screened well.

Next Big Thing

Does it, though?
Design phase takes awhile, nevermind build. What you see going on at universal right now is very unusual. TF is a clone and plans for a Simpsons themed land had been on the table since the IOA planning days (It was supposed to be where Toon Lagoon is). Again in 2008, they thought about a land to coincide with the ride, but plans got shelved as the company was very cash strapped at that time.

Point is - Good things can take time. Universal is proving that they can be built fast if you fast track them, but the things need to be designed before they can be built. ;)

Turtle

Animal Kingdom needs more than an e-ticket, a c-ticket, and a new show for it to be a full day/night park.

With Pandora I might be able to stay from 9 am to 6 pm. I don't know what I'll do for another 3 hours.

doctornick

Animal Kingdom needs more than an e-ticket, a c-ticket, and a new show for it to be a full day/night park.

With Pandora I might be able to stay from 9 am to 6 pm. I don't know what I'll do for another 3 hours.

I agree that it would still be a light for a full day -- especially if the daytime parade is not replaced. However, I do think DAK is the most "wander aroundable" of all the parks, just to take in the scenery and ambiance (not everyone is into that, though).

I think in addition to that proposed stuff, DAK could simply use a few dark rides or even well themed flat rides just to balance stuff out. It doesn't even have to be a large endeavor. A small "critter country" with (say) two dark rides and a meet and greet and a counter service would help to increase capacity and spread out crowds. Make one of the dark rides a new Mr Toad's and people will be thrilled even if it's a relatively low budget endeavor. I've got to think you could build a "land" like that for $100-150M but it would make a big impact on DAK's perception of being a half day park.

Turtle

I agree that it would still be a light for a full day -- especially if the daytime parade is not replaced. However, I do think DAK is the most "wander aroundable" of all the parks, just to take in the scenery and ambiance (not everyone is into that, though).

I think in addition to that proposed stuff, DAK could simply use a few dark rides or even well themed flat rides just to balance stuff out. It doesn't even have to be a large endeavor. A small "critter country" with (say) two dark rides and a meet and greet and a counter service would help to increase capacity and spread out crowds. Make one of the dark rides a new Mr Toad's and people will be thrilled even if it's a relatively low budget endeavor. I've got to think you could build a "land" like that for $100-150M but it would make a big impact on DAK's perception of being a half day park.
this would be another chester and hester. a cheap way to add some rides doesn't work.

doctornick

this would be another chester and hester. a cheap way to add some rides doesn't work.

What do you mean? I'm talking about a small Fantasyland type of place with family style dark rides -- which are sorely needed in DAK. I didn't even speak to the theming, which I would want to be higher quality, but a small land can be done relatively affordably and still look good. If DAK gets a true E-ticket with Pandora, then it really just needs complimentary rides for capacity and that shouldn't be something that is costly.

Edit: I'd also point out that what I'm envisioning is something that could be expanded in the future, but would at least initially be a few rides to create more stuff to do at DAK.

Turtle

What do you mean? I'm talking about a small Fantasyland type of place with family style dark rides -- which are sorely needed in DAK. I didn't even speak to the theming, which I would want to be higher quality, but a small land can be done relatively affordably and still look good. If DAK gets a true E-ticket with Pandora, then it really just needs complimentary rides for capacity and that shouldn't be something that is costly.

Edit: I'd also point out that what I'm envisioning is something that could be expanded in the future, but would at least initially be a few rides to create more stuff to do at DAK.
i thought you meant a cheap way to add something. Now I understand that you mean an easy way to add something.

doctornick

i thought you meant a cheap way to add something. Now I understand that you mean an easy way to add something.

Yeah, I meant "cheap" in a "not a $400M ride" way. DAK needs a bunch of "affordable" B- and C-ticket rides to increase capacity and provide more for families to do.

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, I meant "cheap" in a "not a $400M ride" way. DAK needs a bunch of "affordable" B- and C-ticket rides to increase capacity and provide more for families to do.

Yes, DAK desperately needs attractions that eat crowds and add duration to time spent in the park. Since the faux announcement of Avatar, I've firmly believed that the new land should come with no fewer than three attractions, of whatever magnitude. An E, D and C would be ideal,but an E and two C's would suffice, along with at least one QS and perhaps even another TS, but only if they actually keep the park open past dinner time.

Cosmic Commando

Even if you wanted simple flat rides, they can still be done well. Chester and Hester's has cheap rides and gaudy theming. a bug's land at DCA has cheap rides themed well... nobody really complains about that land. They're all B-tickets, but there's four rides and a little water play area that look pretty cool. Couldn't hurt to give DAK something like this, although I would prefer a "Fantasyland" with dark rides.

doctornick

Even if you wanted simple flat rides, they can still be done well. Chester and Hester's has cheap rides and gaudy theming. a bug's land at DCA has cheap rides themed well... nobody really complains about that land. They're all B-tickets, but there's four rides and a little water play area that look pretty cool. Couldn't hurt to give DAK something like this, although I would prefer a "Fantasyland" with dark rides.

I've said previous that adding 2-3 of the Bug's Land rides to Discovery Island (near It's tough to be a Bug) would be an option as a step in the right direction in terms of capacity. They certainly fit with the theme of DAK, would be affordable additions to the park and I think could fit into the space without a problem. Off hand, Ladybug Boogie and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train would be good +/- one of the bumper cars or Flik's flyers (the latter obviously is another spinner and is superfluous for DAK, but is very well themed).

It wouldn't be my first choice of what to do (I'd rather see a cartoon type Critter Country land with dark rides) but it would be better than the current setup.

doctornick

Yes, DAK desperately needs attractions that eat crowds and add duration to time spent in the park. Since the faux announcement of Avatar, I've firmly believed that the new land should come with no fewer than three attractions, of whatever magnitude. An E, D and C would be ideal,but an E and two C's would suffice, along with at least one QS and perhaps even another TS, but only if they actually keep the park open past dinner time.

I actually think 2 rides for Pandora would be perfect, since I don't want to see DAK go to heavy into that one IP. I rather like the idea of a top quality E-ticket and a family friendly C-ticket for Pandora. But I think that DAK needs more in addition to that -- whether it be a new land entirely or additions to other lands in the park. To be a full day park, I think it needs at least 4 more rides + a big entertainment offering at night (show or parade).

Tom

Beta Return
I actually think 2 rides for Pandora would be perfect, since I don't want to see DAK go to heavy into that one IP. I rather like the idea of a top quality E-ticket and a family friendly C-ticket for Pandora. But I think that DAK needs more in addition to that -- whether it be a new land entirely or additions to other lands in the park. To be a full day park, I think it needs at least 4 more rides + a big entertainment offering at night (show or parade).

Ok, good point. I would also prefer that Pandora not become overwhelming in the park. 3 attractions new to the park - wherever they go - would be a minimum. 4 would be ideal. Another crowd-eating E, with C's and D's.

I'm not sure a nighttime show would be appropriate at DAK, simply because of the animals. I'm not sure how well they could isolate the animals from pyrotechnics, so as not to scare them. A parade, perhaps, but most likely no fireworks of any kind.

To me, personally, the park already seems show-heavy. The trails are nice, but just knowing how society is these days, they really need to add rides to keep interest peaked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom