Upcoming/Rumored Projects

Jake Wilson

I'm not saying don't add more rides. It needs to have a complete collection of animals in order to compete with Busch Gardens and Miami Metro Zoo. It can present Australia, for example, as a ride - like the safari ride in Africa in a style only Disney has mastered.

I believe copying a ride in the same park would be disastrous... JMHO

Cosmic Commando

The deal with Hong Kong involved relatively little input from the Central Government compared to the deal with Shanghai. The park is also being built now, instead of after Disney has greater access and presence, because that is what the Central Government wants. With this "park first, other deals after" I can see why pandas, if Disney is interested in bringing them to Walt Disney World, have yet to make an appearances. Iger's desperation to get into the Mainland gives the Chinese more cards to play.

I just assumed that there would be negotiations with the national government before they even got to talk to Hong Kong. Still, at some point immediately after Disney agrees to spend huge sums of money is when I would expect China to be most generous with the Pandas. It's not like they're impossible to get; they've been sent to Atlanta, Memphis, Toronto, San Diego, Toledo, NYC, Columbus, etc. None of those zoos are owned by a company that is pumping billions of dollars directly into the Chinese economy.

lazyboy97o

I just assumed that there would be negotiations with the national government before they even got to talk to Hong Kong. Still, at some point immediately after Disney agrees to spend huge sums of money is when I would expect China to be most generous with the Pandas. It's not like they're impossible to get; they've been sent to Atlanta, Memphis, Toronto, San Diego, Toledo, NYC, Columbus, etc. None of those zoos are owned by a company that is pumping billions of dollars directly into the Chinese economy.
Don't forget that Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region, the whole "two systems, one country" thing. I think you pointing out that pandas can be had is why a theme park would not be leverage for a panda deal. Theme parks are the bottom of Iger's Disney, so he wouldn't want to waste any good feelings on the US parks, especially something that isn't "Disney."

Cosmic Commando

Don't forget that Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region, the whole "two systems, one country" thing. I think you pointing out that pandas can be had is why a theme park would not be leverage for a panda deal. Theme parks are the bottom of Iger's Disney, so he wouldn't want to waste any good feelings on the US parks, especially something that isn't "Disney."

Well, we know the WDW theme parks are the bottom of Iger's company, at least. I knew Hong Kong was part of China again, but still "special"... I won't pretend to know the exact relationship there. :confused:

I wasn't necessarily implying that Disney was trying to hold their investment over the heads of the Chinese... I figured it's like the $1000 Lone Ranger premiere that gives you a "free" Subway sub. Ya know, spend $3B on a resort on our mainland and we'll throw in two Pandas for "free"?

RSoxNo1

Pandas won't make me stay any longer in the park. Been there, done that...at a myriad other zoos.

AK needs help, I agree, but bringing more animal overhead to the picture isn't the solution, in my eyes. High expense, low attendance, even lower repeat business.
A myriad? Really? How often do you go to zoos? If you're going to a myriad of zoos, pandas will absolutely get you into the park.

herc

Off hand, Ladybug Boogie and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train would be good +/- one of the bumper cars or Flik's flyers (the latter obviously is another spinner and is superfluous for DAK, but is very well themed).

OH my, not Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. It is THE worst Disney ride EVER!
But I do like the idea of a mini Bugsland around the Tree of Life with Ladybug Boogie and Tuck n Roll's bumper cars.

herc

Wrong. For the under 3 crowd, it is brilliant.
Then we need to get a sign in front that states "Anyone over the age of 3 should not ride this." First time in Bug'sLand and went on and wow, what a letdown. My 5 year old exclaimed the "Worst ride ever." From the mouth of babes. I also think it needed work as in repainting of the entire ride. Reminded me of the train in Downtown Disney in Florida (seeing it, not riding it).

JimboJones123

Ever heard the story of Daddy's Day and Walt sitting watching his girls ride the carousel at Griffith Park? The Disney theme parks are not supposed to be about watching little kids have fun.
Um... You do realize that Disneyland has a carousel, right?

One can only ride Small World so many times. At DL, that thing is way too long for attention spans of many 2-3 year olds. Bugs land is a nice little pocket made cheap that has several rides with managable lines that kids can hop between easily. I know of several local DL families that just loved it when their kids were the right age. Easy in, easy out for 1-3 hours of toddler theme park play time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom