Upcoming/Rumored Projects

PeterAlt

It still seems weird to me...

It would be like having an "Alien" or a "Predator" ride in Animal Kingdom. I know it's not exactly the same (Avatar deals with conservation, whereas the others don't, so it would fit better in Animal Kingdom than the other two I mentioned), but in terms of the creatures themselves, they are all creatures specifically created for a film, not from folklore - I know that the difference isn't specified in...

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn"

...as a difference, but the dedication doesn't mention "aliens", and implies with "dragons" more folklore than film-created.

I would still like to see Avatar (and Alien and Predator if they were ever to get an attraction) in DHS, not DAK.
You're forgetting that there's dragons in Avatar that we will probably (most definately see)... Banjees (sp?)

So, there are even animals in common between the two!

doctornick

The idea of an Avatar themed attraction as part of a larger mythical animal land is great news, IMO.
Wait, what? I haven't seen that be a rumor. At this point, it seems the rumor is just Avatar (perhaps 1-2 attractions) only. Is someone else being considered?

doctornick

It would be like having an "Alien" or a "Predator" ride in Animal Kingdom. I know it's not exactly the same (Avatar deals with conservation, whereas the others don't, so it would fit better in Animal Kingdom than the other two I mentioned), but in terms of the creatures themselves, they are all creatures specifically created for a film, not from folklore - I know that the difference isn't specified in...

While I understand and to some degree agree with your point, I don't think that's entirely fair. There certainly is a role at DAK for mythical creatures from folklore, like dragons and unicorns. I actually would like to see some form of Beastly Kingdomme be realized or even a variation of Mysterious Island to that effect (no reason the lava monster couldn't be a dragon, for example).

That said, Avatar does fit well into the theme of DAK. If it were just a generic sci-fi flick, that would be a different story. Having an Alien or Preditor (or Ewoks/Wookies/etc.) in DAK does not really fit. But Pandora in Avatar had a very elaborate ecology with well depicted plants and animals and a strong conservation theme (which you mentioned). That makes it so drastically different from the likes of Alien that it's a poor comparison. Even when alien worlds are depicted in sci-fi films, they are virtually always just like some environment on Earth but with some alien species tossed in. Avatar depicted a much more vibrant and distinct ecosystem and it was a key aspect of the plot.

I really can't think of any other good comparisons in entertainment, so I think bringing up other franchises isn't fair. Avatar should be judged on its oen merits. Ultimately, I think it comes down to if you think that something in DAK needs to be found on Earth for real (or formerly like Dinosaurs) or in folklore versus whether you think a made up envirmonent for entertainment sake is okay. If you don't think the latter is good enough, that's fine and it's a fair point, but I don't think it's a fair point tosay that Avatar doesn't fit simply because it's sci-fi or because it's fake. It's a movie largely about conservation and whose big selling point was "look at this beautiful world with cool plants and animals"; that to me screams DAK among Disney parks.

RSoxNo1

Wait, what? I haven't seen that be a rumor. At this point, it seems the rumor is just Avatar (perhaps 1-2 attractions) only. Is someone else being considered?
The last "good" info on this was the leaked blueprints. That had a simulator and what appeared to be a boat ride and the word Avatar was no where to be seen on any of the documents. Publicly Disney has still said that Avatar is happening, but it sounds like if it does happen it won't be a 3 attraction land.

djlaosc

I really can't think of any other good comparisons in entertainment, so I think bringing up other franchises isn't fair. Avatar should be judged on its oen merits. Ultimately, I think it comes down to if you think that something in DAK needs to be found on Earth for real (or formerly like Dinosaurs) or in folklore versus whether you think a made up envirmonent for entertainment sake is okay. If you don't think the latter is good enough, that's fine and it's a fair point, but I don't think it's a fair point tosay that Avatar doesn't fit simply because it's sci-fi or because it's fake. It's a movie largely about conservation and whose big selling point was "look at this beautiful world with cool plants and animals"; that to me screams DAK among Disney parks.

Yeah, I guess it's how you look at it - as I said, I do understand how it fits in DAK, just that I think it fits better in DHS - especially if this goes from a 12-acre land to 1 ride and 1 shop - to me that seems like a perfect AIE/SD replacement.

As you said "Avatar is a made up environment for entertainment sake" - that to me says DHS, not DAK - same as Monstropolis, or Radiator Springs, or Endor.

PeterAlt

The last "good" info on this was the leaked blueprints. That had a simulator and what appeared to be a boat ride and the word Avatar was no where to be seen on any of the documents. Publicly Disney has still said that Avatar is happening, but it sounds like if it does happen it won't be a 3 attraction land.
Where can I see these leaked blue prints?

Genie of the Lamp

Speaking of Avatar at AK, I saw an DAK park pic update from OPTN a few days back and they posted a couple pictures on their showing what seem to be Imagineers in CMM:
jbfXaoVWHnUeyC.JPG

jbdqcNW6PiVoZM.JPG

Magenta Panther

DUDE. Maelstrom is awesome. Vikings and polar bears are rad.[/quote]

Maelstrom is extremely cool for what it is. It gives you a taste of the eeriness of Norwegian mythology. I love it.

Magenta Panther

Hey, don't wnt to clog this thread with Avatar, but a Pandora land could be epic even if you disliked the movie. It's the same as Cars Land. With great theming and design, you don't have to love the film basis of a beautiful land.

Which is as much as admitting that all the movie's appeal was based on eye candy. Whereas Disney has plenty of eye candy of its own. How about a Fantasia ride instead?

Magenta Panther

If you're Bob Iger, it makes perfect sense.

See, AK was originally designed to included lands and animals real and make believe. The make believe land was originally going to be Beastly Kingdom, but designs for that were ripped off when Uni built Duelling Dragons.

Avatar is a make belief world with its own make belief animal species and a conservation theme that echoes that of DAK. Avatar brings with it instant brand recognition, not to mention the talents of James Cameron and his special effects company. Also, one can easily see dollar signs when the sequels come out each time the hoards will flock.

And when the sequels end, no more flocks, because Avatar has nothing of substance in it to give it enduring appeal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom