Upcoming Fantasyland ReDesign

imagineer boy

*sigh*

I think you're assuming that it would be dark and fast. I'm fairly certain that Imagineering would make the concept work quite effectively. I see a lot of potential with actual show scenes and enjoyable banter. You have to remember, "Heigh-Oh" is the song that is sung in the mine. The dwarves seem to love working there, so I don't see how a mine car ride through their mine would be horrible.

Of course its going to be dark. Mines last time I checked are dark. Even if its not going too fast, it'll have the Space Mountain effect where you feel like you're going alot faster since you're in the dark, thus it may upset children.

Legacy

Of course its going to be dark. Mines last time I checked are dark. Even if its not going too fast, it'll have the Space Mountain effect where you feel like you're going alot faster since you're in the dark, thus it may upset children.

Um... the caves on Tom Sawyer Island aren't that dark. The caves on Big Thunder (except the initial portion) aren't that dark. The dwarves work in a jewel mine, and jewels are known for being quite sparkly and shiny. A single lantern (like what the dwarves us in the film) could conceivably light the entire cave because of light reflecting off the jewels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AkKnLMELo

Yes... that would be one terrifying cave for a child.

*sigh*

I think you're assuming that it would be dark and fast. I'm fairly certain that Imagineering would make the concept work quite effectively. I see a lot of potential with actual show scenes and enjoyable banter. You have to remember, "Heigh-Oh" is the song that is sung in the mine. The dwarves seem to love working there, so I don't see how a mine car ride through their mine would be horrible.
Traveling through the dark makes the ride feel like it's going faster than it actually is, so speed should not be a problem. I'm thinking the coaster will have some slow spots through some show scenes with animatronics and then maybe some faster scenes, like escaping from the mine during a cave in or something along those lines.

darthjohnny

A roller coaster based completely on the mine would seem like an unusual choice because it wasn't a huge part of the movie. It's been a while since I've seen the film, but nothing major happened there right?

RSoxNo1

A roller coaster based completely on the mine would seem like an unusual choice because it wasn't a huge part of the movie. It's been a while since I've seen the film, but nothing major happened there right?

I think really the concept, be it Snow White or Indy would be to recreate that out of control feeling in a mine car.

imagineer boy

Exactly! Why base a ride around a scene that only lasts a couple minuites long from the movie? It makes no sense.

Putting my urban plannig brain to work, If it was my Fantasy World, heres my idea. Blow out the old Skyway tower, and what i think is the old support building next to it, and open all that up, and if possible connect all that area behind ther with Toon Town. If your going to expand, REALLY expand. Thers what looks like, a lot of room back in there if you move a few support buildings and "stuff" Re-configure that whole corner of the park, it is the world's biggest Cluster Mess when its busy between SW and Peter Pan. Just make room, and one at a time add new rides/attraction. Use all the space from Toon Town, back along the RR tracks, and over to the Swanee River. Empty it all out. ust the RR as a way to pass some really great new guest area with some food place with seating, a little toon town outdoor food court. A million thigs you could do back in there. Oh poo, thats haugnted mansion, never mind, cant take that out. Im sire you could still get back in there to open that up somehow, but on a second loo, it is kinda tight space between SW and HM.

Animaniac93-98

Exactly! Why base a ride around a scene that only lasts a couple minuites long from the movie? It makes no sense.

So why not have the ride be like the dark ride near by and have it go through scenes of the movie and have the track get wilder and crazier as the story gets more suspenseful. Then you could replace the old dark ride with the Seeping Beauty themed one that was originally meant to go there. Just saying is all.

Yes I would think Snow White and the Temple of Doom or um, Dopey's Wild Mine Ride (the name of the DVD game) would be fun.

LudwigVonDrake

Today was my last day in WDW :( and walking through Fantasyland this morning over by the old 20K site, there is a crane in full view. Unless I missed something, any idea what it's doing there?

imagineer boy

So why not have the ride be like the dark ride near by and have it go through scenes of the movie and have the track get wilder and crazier as the story gets more suspenseful. Then you could replace the old dark ride with the Seeping Beauty themed one that was originally meant to go there. Just saying is all.

Then just build it in the 20k spot instead. I'd much rather see Snow White get a good update rather than a replacement.

WildLodgeFan

Today was my last day in WDW :( and walking through Fantasyland this morning over by the old 20K site, there is a crane in full view. Unless I missed something, any idea what it's doing there?

A crane is a good sign of possible things to come. Can't wait to form my own thoughts and opinions come our trip in September. BTW, still hoping the board gurus can tell me if September is usually the time frame for park news to be released. Any one?!?

Then just build it in the 20k spot instead.

I think this will end up being the case. Why clear out and re-configure tons of backstage buildings when you have this perfect cleared patch of land just begging to be developed.

Hopefully the pull out all the stops on this one, they will really screw themselves over BIG TIME if they do a half a$$ed, imagination like make-over. This area is a classic! Hopefully they can nail it like they did with the last Tomorrowland upgrade years and years ago. I can see them closing off the entire land and giving all of those rides/shows a little TLC. Nothing fancy...just some fresh coats of paint...and a snow white total refurbishment.

Staging materials/supplies for the Liberty Square bridge work.
I think you're right. You don't need a crane when you're just starting construction, so that cancels any Fantasyland expansion plans, unless they're using the crane to remove trees and such. This sudden appearance of the crane fits the bridge work timing though. Maybe once they're done with the bridge they'll start work on Fantasyland (highly doubt it though)???

landauh

I think you're right. You don't need a crane when you're just starting construction, so that cancels any Fantasyland expansion plans, unless they're using the crane to remove trees and such. This sudden appearance of the crane fits the bridge work timing though. Maybe once they're done with the bridge they'll start work on Fantasyland (highly doubt it though)???

The bridge work is scheduled to be completed on 29 August. I don't think any work on Fantasyland will commence until after the holidays.

henryt93

I don't want to spoil the fun we're all having with this but I have a hard time believing Disney would go any further with such an expansive and expensive blue sky concept while the economy here is what it is.

I actually disagree. If the decrease of shows for Fantasmic! means what everyone thinks it means (which is that the economy is hitting Disney hard), they need to build a big draw. This might be it.

RSoxNo1

I actually disagree. If the decrease of shows for Fantasmic! means what everyone thinks it means (which is that the economy is hitting Disney hard), they need to build a big draw. This might be it.

I think right now Disney has several ideas they can green light, but now doesn't seem to be the right time. They appear to be cutting operational costs, so new major investments are probably impractical at this time. I would not be surprised to see them hold off on the announcement of a new ride at least through the end of the year.

Jasonflz

It would be great to have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and maybe Alice in Wonderland. The Judge's Tent in Toontown should be demolished and Roger Rabbit should be brought in. It would fit in so well with the Toontown fair. That new Pooh playground makes me :hurl:.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom