Upcoming Fantasyland ReDesign

PhilharMagician

There's a reason the MK had not gotten an expensive E-Ticket since 1992's Splash Mountain- the park doesn't need to spend the money to draw crowds. The string of C-tickets they've added (Philharmagic, Stitch, MLF) has been enough to draw consistantly high attendance.

The C-tickets you talk about were not really added, the were existing rides or shows that were changed. This happens quite often with older rides and shows. Now adding 3 totally new things is like adding another whole land to the park.

disney9752

That seems certainly plausible. :)

And there is also a whole stretch of land going all the way to the railroad that is barely used, except for a service road and 'whatever it is they have there to keep this park running'. There's enough space to build two whole new lands. Florida's Magic Kingdom was conceived on a grand scale. ;)

Then, if one compares 'our' Park with the Fantasylands and extensions of California and Paris...
Both are filled up with rides, attractions and sights that make any Disney fan drool. :cry:

But one can hope! For one thing, a renovated FL, like they did in California, and combined with two or three great new rides will blow away anything that they could possibly build in Potterland. :D

flbo4.jpg
again not gonna happen behind the current fantasyland area, the tunnel entrance wont be moved, & the fireworks "bunker" shall we say is behind fantasyland just beyond the train tracks. due to "fall out" and safety reasons it wont be used.:wave:

daverube

I know that an above poster posted a pic w/highlight of the 20k, plot, but I think there is a bit more room than that. As I recall, the building behind the original pond is either a fire station or office building that can be relocated. Accordingly, I've highlighted a bigger area that can be used for a FL expansion. In addition, I've inserted both Splash and then BTM and CoP to show land space. I used the same scale for these plots.

fantasyland20kplot1.jpg

fantasyland20kplotwithinsetofsplash.jpg

fantasyland20kplotwithbtmandcop.jpg

As you can see, there is A LOT of room to work with. (I know, I know, rotating CoP throws off the scale, but you understand the point).... However, should an outdoors rollercoaster, such as BTM, be placed in this area, extensive use of trees and land camo will be needed to keep the roads out of view...then again, a coaster could be designed to hit low spots anytime you may face an out-of-park direction.

dave

drew81

In the mean time, Tinkerbelle and her fairy friends will have a meet & greet in Toon Town with the shrinking hallway. This is scheduled to open in October as long as the movie doesn't get pushed, again.

They are having a viewing of the Tinkerbell film for Annual Passholders in September, so I don't think its been pushed back again. I'm hoping the Fairies will be out the week or so before the film officially comes out in October.

DisneyDellsDude

What took them so long?:dazzle:

I, too, think that the Magic Kingdom is finally getting it's act together. (after 10 years:lol:) But Disneyland was really also falling greatly during that time too. DL has really been doing a fantastic job only since 2005 again.

Spyne

I'm a little surprised that a Fantasyland redesign is in talks or in the works. But it couldn't hurt either if they have enough land and entertainment to fill it in. :)

Hobnail Boot

More than anything I would love to see the entire Fantasyland get a facelift like Disneyland. I'd personally prefer it over any new rides. The land just seems so bleh right now. However, if they do the makeover and add new attractions, that'd be amazing.

krankenstein

Sorry, for being ignorant, but what is a "dark ride"?:shrug::shrug:

From Wikipedia:

darkride - is an indoor amusement ride where riders in guided vehicles travel through specially-lit scenes that typically contain animation, sounds, music, and other special effects. The name can be misleading, since a dark ride does not have to be dark. Nevertheless, most use special lighting to achieve theatrical effects. Selective use of darkness is advantageous because it helps hide the mechanisms of the ride and because it can increase the visual drama of the experience.

Disney examples: Snow White, Small World, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Pirates etc.

I hope that helps! :)

The Empress Lilly

It would be very difficult to expand Fantasyland all the way back to the railroad tracks as some people have suggested. First, there's the backstage access to the Utilidors.

The second issue with expanding to the railroad tracks is that the current wooded area is a fallout area from the fireworks.
I knew about the fireworks fallout zoen. I had never even thought about the utilidor entrance - even though I've been down there. Thanks!

Both are problematic indeed, but Disney shouldn't think in problems, but in imaginative solutions. Utilidor entrances can be replaced, or the entrance way to it can be moved. Fireworks fallout areas can be overcome. Disneyland is completely build up, yet they manage a fireworks show there too.

There's plenty of space in Florida, if the will is there to use it. The will, that is, to build a Fantasyland on par in size and quality with the other Fantasylands.

Here's Fantasyland California:

caliac0.jpg

And Paris:

parisps7.jpg

maryszhi

i hope they keep the classics, and not do anything dramatic. when kids watch the dvds, thats what they expect, and it is like branded in their brains that that is what is suppost to be like.

jt04

The utilidor entrance can be built over and around. It could also be lengthened. That is what engineers do, find solutions. Really a small problem. As for the fireworks, a large show building could enhance the experience. If the roof top were designed with the fireworks shows in mind it might really be an adavantage. Possibly even with retractable covers so the fireworks could be prepared in any weather and launched even in light rain. I also would think they could put some nice lighting effects up there too. Didn't they used to launch fireworks from the roof of the GMR?

Rob562

Didn't they used to launch fireworks from the roof of the GMR?

Yes. Though the ones directly designed with the Chinese Theater in mind were launched from a tall platform immediately behind the building, along Mickey Avenue. There were five other lauch pads, all on building rooftops. Three on top of the GMR show building, and two from what is now the Narnia/One Man's Dream building.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...0&scene=3950607&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

The towers along Mickey Avenue were dismantled during the construction of Pixar Place. The five launch pads still exist for use during special occasions like 4th of July, New Year's Eve and private parties, but the launch tubes were removed and have to be set up for the special showings.

But with the expansion of the park and the addition of Midway Mania, it all but condemns the Studios from ever having a regularly-scheduled fireworks show again. All of Mickey Avenue/Pixar Place is a fallout zone. When the park first opened and it was all a backstage area, it wasn't a big deal. When they opened up Mickey Avenue to foot traffic, they had to close everything from New York Street to VOTLM to Guests. (The Backlot Tour closed at dusk, I believe) When they run a fireworks show at the Studios now, they do the same thing.

Not a very good idea to put a brand new, popular attraction right in the middle of an area that has to be closed off every evening. In the MK, they get away with it during Wishes because the only things that really close are two gift shops. The entrances to Snow White and Philharmagic are just rerouted slightly so that you're not walking out in the open.

-Rob

sublimesting

Generally I don't like to see rides doubled up when classics are not represented. By this I mean, there is a Little Mermaid attraction in HS, a BatB stage show, and a Snow White dark ride. But we are missing any representation from Pinocchio, and contrary to what I just said there should be an Alice in Wonderland darkride because if anything in the world lends itself perfectly to a dark ride it's that. And as I've said a bazillion times a dark ride of Fab 5 would be awesome.

That being said, I do love progress and glad they may be considering updating and refurbing a whole land. especially to add more attractions instead of replacing current ones because each land in MK only has 4-5 attractions.

PintoColvig

I don't want to spoil the fun we're all having with this but I have a hard time believing Disney would go any further with such an expansive and expensive blue sky concept while the economy here is what it is. Even if they DO move forward with this, I'd expect them to aanounce it nearer to the HP opening as a counter to Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom