News UP! A Great Bird Adventure Getting A Rewrite

JohnD

Apt thread title is apt...

Ordinarily I’d give this a big “Like” but we’ve already been there done that once. Revising again speaks to how they should have left Flights of Wonder alone. I’m from the South. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Josh Hendy

Disney Corp must have at least 100 professional writers working on various movie and TV projects at any one time, year in and year out. Not to mention script editors, producers, directors, assistant directors and actors.

What is so freaking hard about writing a decent, short scenario that hits all the high notes (bird behavior, conservation, warmth, humor) and then casting, rehearsing, audience testing, assessing and revising?

Every single stage play, movie and TV show that has ever been produced has gone through this. Since the time of Aristophanes. That's a lot of accumulated know-how.

The Empress Lilly

Disney Corp must have at least 100 professional writers working on various movie and TV projects at any one time, year in and year out. Not to mention script editors, producers, directors, assistant directors and actors.

What is so freaking hard about writing a decent, short scenario that hits all the high notes (bird behavior, conservation, warmth, humor) and then casting, rehearsing, audience testing, assessing and revising?

Every single stage play, movie and TV show that has ever been produced has gone through this. Since the time of Aristophanes. That's a lot of accumulated know-how.
The audience the writer writes for is not the guests, but the management team. These kill the show with sets of goals. 'Exposure time to characters, on-stage interaction with young kids, photo opportunities, etc'.

Management sets the goals, then hires some creatives to convert these goals into product. That is why Disney often has such breathtakingly dull content, devoid of any zest for life, or originality, and street credibility.

Interesting new content is made by young bearded guys dreaming in their dorm room about spaceships fighting Galaxy Wars, or about computer technology creating a new animation medium. This content Disney can acquire externally. To next be driven into meaningless, saltless Disney product.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The audience the writer writes for is not the guests, but the management team. These kill the show with sets of goals. 'Exposure time to characters, on-stage interaction with young kids, photo opportunities, etc'.

Management sets the goals, then hires some creatives to convert these goals into product. That is why Disney often has such breathtakingly dull content, devoid of any zest for life, or originality, and street credibility.

Interesting new content is made by young bearded guys dreaming in their dorm room about spaceships fighting Galaxy Wars, or about computer technology creating a new animation medium. This content Disney can acquire externally. To next be driven into meaningless, saltless Disney product.
Whoa... add a bit more sugar to your cereal... ;)

Unplugged

I enjoyed the original show. No interest in seeing the Up! version. Contrary to popular belief (in Disney corporate), not everything needs IP. Everytime I saw the original, it was packed, and that's in the off season. Small tweaks to keep shows fresh I'm ok with, but unless a show is old and really stale, don't muck it up. Sometimes, simple is better.

Phil12

It's really a shame that Disney resorts to using animals in its shows. It's one thing to hire an actor to portray a role but to use animals for entertainment (i.e. performing tricks) does not embrace the theme of Animal Kingdom Park. Also, did you ever stop to think that most birds are not protected by either federal or state animal welfare laws? As an example, the Humane Slaughter Act requires that animals be stunned unconscious before they are slaughtered to minimize pain. Although chickens and turkeys feel pain just as other animals, they are not protected by this law. So, remember that the next time you eat a giant turkey leg at a Disney park.

seascape

It's really a shame that Disney resorts to using animals in its shows. It's one thing to hire an actor to portray a role but to use animals for entertainment (i.e. performing tricks) does not embrace the theme of Animal Kingdom Park. Also, did you ever stop to think that most birds are not protected by either federal or state animal welfare laws? As an example, the Humane Slaughter Act requires that animals be stunned unconscious before they are slaughtered to minimize pain. Although chickens and turkeys feel pain just as other animals, they are not protected by this law. So, remember that the next time you eat a giant turkey leg at a Disney park.
I disagree. Using animals is fine as long as they are well treated and their use results in getting the audience appreciate them. Seaworld was a great park. They taught millions of people how wonderful the Orcas are. They did such a great job that the people realized the Orcas needed a bigger space. PETA was wrong in their demands because they caused the stopping of the improvements and eventually the majority of the people will forget about them.

trainplane3

I disagree. Using animals is fine as long as they are well treated and their use results in getting the audience appreciate them. Seaworld was a great park. They taught millions of people how wonderful the Orcas are. They did such a great job that the people realized the Orcas needed a bigger space. PETA was wrong in their demands because they caused the stopping of the improvements and eventually the majority of the people will forget about them.
Don't take the bait...

seascape

Don't take the bait...
Everyone is entitled to their own oppion. Those who think only they are right are the biggest problem the world faces. Do I think Seaworld was perfect? No, they knew better, and should have had much larger pools for their wonderful Orcas. It is a shame they had to be forced to treat them better but that shoukd not take away from the good they have done. There needs to be a balancing act of their good and bad. akkep this in mind, if it weren't for Zoos and Safari parks their are aminals that are still alive rgar would be extinct.

trainplane3

Everyone is entitled to their own oppion. Those who think only they are right are the biggest problem the world faces. Do I think Seaworld was perfect? No, they knew better, and should have had much larger pools for their wonderful Orcas. It is a shame they had to be forced to treat them better but that shoukd not take away from the good they have done. There needs to be a balancing act of their good and bad. akkep this in mind, if it weren't for Zoos and Safari parks their are aminals that are still alive rgar would be extinct.
You don't know their post history then. Between turning everything into rap and being controversial just because...yeah...

Kman101

Apt thread title is apt...

lol!

I was just going to come in here and ask how attendance levels for shows are, and what the guest sat is for it. Guess I got my answer ... funny how just shoehorning an actual appropriate IP in doesn't work ... guests aren't rushing to see this because they added Russell and Dug (and I don't mind the Wilderness Explorer tie-in, personally) they could have definitely put more effort into this new version of the show.

Wonder how Rivers of Light: "We Are One (with IP)" is working out for them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom