UOR looking very rundown

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Only a select few theme park nerds hate Gringotts. Every time I ride it, the people leaving with me say how great it is. Almost like normal people, IE the people parks care about, love it.
"Normal" people also made The Big Bang Theory the most popular comedy on television. Doesn't mean it's good. Again, I don't think Gringotts is bad, just mediocre.
There are plenty of Disney rides where you watch the action unfold too... most of the dark rides (Pirates, Pooh, Pan, Splash Mountain, etc). There are also rides at Universal that involve you (Mummy, Forbidden, etc). So both parks have a set of each.
Yes, but the key difference here is that those rides at Disney are slow moving dark rides where the scenes are the entire point. Doing the same thing with a simulator or simulator hybrid is a waste of the medium.

UpAllNight

Gringotts is a great ride that would be arguably one of best if it had a final coaster section....it’s still fantastic, and gets better with each ride. I feel like Universal are in he market to correct some of the mistakes with this new Potter coaster which looks like a crazy Mummy, Everest, Gringotts hybrid.

Having just been to Universal Hollywood for the first time (a fantastic park by the way) the entrance of Universal Studios Florida needs to be changed up to reach the same heights as the exciting, vibrant, increadibly themed entrance in Hollywood. It felt...Disney. Grand....exciting...better music, better entertainment, more characters than I’ve ever seen in USF

Less is also more when it comes to screens....get rid of Shrek and make T2s replacement something different and it’s a quick burst of progress for the main park, which is struggling with an identity crisis that Hollywood seems to have avoided with it’s more rounded lineup. The likes of Waterworld, the Studio Tour and the walking dead really gave more balance. I know the Studio Tour can’t be replicated so other options need to be explored.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

And if every Disney ride was like that, how does that make the Universal ride better? Any time I see this argument I will point it out.
Saying another park does something wrong, does not make what you are doing right.
I'm saying both parks have variety in guest experiences, contrary to what was previously stated.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Gringotts is a great ride that would be arguably one of best if it had a final coaster section....it’s still fantastic, and gets better with each ride. I feel like Universal are in he market to correct some of the mistakes with this new Potter coaster which looks like a crazy Mummy, Everest, Gringotts hybrid.
I can agree with this. Gringotts would definitely be a great ride for me with a proper coaster finale. It also does look like the new Potter coaster is going to be amazing and a shift in the right direction for Universal's attraction design.

Having just been to Universal Hollywood for the first time (a fantastic park by the way) the entrance of Universal Studios Florida needs to be changed up to reach the same heights as the exciting, vibrant, increadibly themed entrance in Hollywood. It felt...Disney. Grand....exciting...better music, better entertainment, more characters than I’ve ever seen in USF
Yes. The entrance of USF, once you're inside the gates, is very tacky and trashy looking. It does look quite a bit better if you make a right down Hollywood, but if you continue straight all you see is a jumbled mess of concrete, yellow walls, and tacky signage. It feels like a side entrance and lacks the bold entrance statement that every other Orlando park has.

UpAllNight

I can agree with this. Gringotts would definitely be a great ride for me with a proper coaster finale. It also does look like the new Potter coaster is going to be amazing and a shift in the right direction for Universal's attraction design.

Yes. The entrance of USF, once you're inside the gates, is very tacky and trashy looking. It does look quite a bit better if you make a right down Hollywood, but if you continue straight all you see is a jumbled mess of concrete, yellow walls, and tacky signage. It feels like a side entrance and lacks the bold entrance statement that every other Orlando park has.

We weren’t going to even bother with Universal as the ride line up looked similar to Orlando and there’s plenty enough to do in L.A. and the surrounding areas, but that would have been a massive mistake. The entrance really sets up the park and as I say, it felt special. The park is also set in a gorgeous location in the hills.

The issue I have is that they seem to be merging these parks (Disney are going that way too) and the highlights of the trip were seeing the differences between the parks. The part that launches on the Mummy that doesn’t in Orlando...Kung Fu Panda vs Shrek....I’d like more of that and less of transformer and Simpsons clones. I hope Nintendo varies per park.

Universal Hollywood reignited my Universal spark...I’d lost a little from the Studios park in Orlando last year.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

I hope Nintendo varies per park.

It won't, really. All 3 locations will get the same base Super Nintendo World, with Orlando getting an additional ride in the Donkey Kong thrill ride. Orlando also has the chance to get more in the case of Zelda becoming a reality. But the majority of the base Super Nintendo World will be the same throughout. Think of it as the new Hogsmeade

UpAllNight

It won't, really. All 3 locations will get the same base Super Nintendo World, with Orlando getting an additional ride in the Donkey Kong thrill ride. Orlando also has the chance to get more in the case of Zelda becoming a reality. But the majority of the base Super Nintendo World will be the same throughout. Think of it as the new Hogsmeade

Ive got bored following it to be honest as it’s dragging on far too long, but I’m sure I read the plots for all are different in shape and size (this may have been when it was going to Kidzone...if it isn’t now? As I say..dragged on too long)

GLaDOS

Ive got bored following it to be honest as it’s dragging on far too long, but I’m sure I read the plots for all are different in shape and size (this may have been when it was going to Kidzone...if it isn’t now? As I say..dragged on too long)

The USJ and USF plot where it was originally going are about the same size, but USJ isn't getting the Donkey Kong ride for whatever reason. USH plot is about the same. USJ and USH will have the Mario Kart ride, the Yoshi ride, the shops/restaurants, and the play areas. When it opens in Orlando in the new park, it will have all that and an additional Donkey Kong area and Donkey Kong thrill ride.

Orlando also may get other Nintendo lands, but that's far from certain.

UpAllNight

The USJ and USF plot where it was originally going are about the same size, but USJ isn't getting the Donkey Kong ride for whatever reason. USH plot is about the same. USJ and USH will have the Mario Kart ride, the Yoshi ride, the shops/restaurants, and the play areas. When it opens in Orlando in the new park, it will have all that and an additional Donkey Kong area and Donkey Kong thrill ride.

Orlando also may get other Nintendo lands, but that's far from certain.

Not intentionally doubting this but it seems to have changed so much....I’d like to see something official at this point.

OG Runner

Not intentionally doubting this but it seems to have changed so much....I’d like to see something official at this point.

I am sorry, but I have been told several times during discussions on these boards, in reference to future plans,
that Universal does make official announcements. That is not how they do things.

GLaDOS

Just in the general speculation of what we’re getting, where it’s going and when we’re getting it....there can’t be too many arguments that this is a slow burner and movement was expected a while ago.

It was due to start in Orlando last year during or following HHN. It's the reason walls started going up in KidZone during the event last year. Permits were filed, and showed the 3 attractions we expect to be a part of Orlando's land. However, the decision was made to move the project to the new park that will be opening in 2022/23 (some here say 21) and make it that park's centerpiece land.

It is well under construction in Japan, and land clearing and prep has begun in its presumed location in Hollywood.

JoeCamel

Just in the general speculation of what we’re getting, where it’s going and when we’re getting it....there can’t be too many arguments that this is a slow burner and movement was expected a while ago.
If they announced the new park it would cause the SW:GE problem WDW is getting now. Soft bookings as people put off spending thousands now in favor of waiting til something "new" is open. I think they are smart not to announce, may not make the people on an internet message board happy but the hotels stay full up til the attractions are ready to go.
With the massive draw of Nintendo people would certainly delay til it is ready. Remember it was not Universal that announced Nintendo but the company itself that broke the news prematurely.

Jaison

It was due to start in Orlando last year during or following HHN. It's the reason walls started going up in KidZone during the event last year. Permits were filed, and showed the 3 attractions we expect to be a part of Orlando's land. However, the decision was made to move the project to the new park that will be opening in 2022/23 (some here say 21) and make it that park's centerpiece land.

It is well under construction in Japan, and land clearing and prep has begun in its presumed location in Hollywood.

Where is the proposed location in Hollywood? They seemed tight on space the last time I was there. Is it taking over more of the lower lot?

GLaDOS

Where is the proposed location in Hollywood? They seemed tight on space the last time I was there. Is it taking over more of the lower lot?

Yea, it's going right next to Transformers. There are pictures around of them clearing the land. I'm not familiar with USH in the slightest, just going off of what people who are local "insiders" are saying.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

They had even started clearing land to the right of MiB (if you're facing it) and behind the huge indoor Coke refresh spot. You could see it while waiting to enter some of the houses at last year's HHN.

UpAllNight

If they announced the new park it would cause the SW:GE problem WDW is getting now. Soft bookings as people put off spending thousands now in favor of waiting til something "new" is open. I think they are smart not to announce, may not make the people on an internet message board happy but the hotels stay full up til the attractions are ready to go.
With the massive draw of Nintendo people would certainly delay til it is ready. Remember it was not Universal that announced Nintendo but the company itself that broke the news prematurely.

That’s perfectly fair and makes sense. Sometimes the Disney hype is just far too intense...I don’t know what they got from milking Toy Story 3 years.

This is recent from a Universal though, their last 2 rides (Fallon and Furious) got announced well in advance.

On a side note I priced up Orlando from the UK yesterday for next year and I’ve never seen it so cheap. Less than $1000 each for 17 nights (based on 2 people) staying on I drive in May...including flights, with Virgin. Couldn’t believe it. There’s either been decreases for the weak pound, or huge discounts offered. Disney hotels cheaper too....Universal Hard Rock for around $2500 each incl flights.

Last edited:

OG Runner

It is one thing not announcing, why is it Universal seems to be moving at a snails pace to get anything, (ride or show), done.
They are getting more rooms for more guests. It is time to give those guests more things to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom