UOR looking very rundown

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Okay, I need to start this thread off with a few disclaimers, since I know the resident UOR PR department here will be on this like flies on you-know-what.

I am not a Disney fanboy who hates Universal. I actually love Universal, though I have been upset with decisions they have been making post-Diagon Alley. A few years ago, when WDW was at it's lowest and most stagnant point, you could find me singing praises of UOR all over this forum. After Wizarding World premiered, they were doing refurbishments and improvements left and right, and for several years the attractions were always in incredible condition and it was rare to ever see a broken effect. Please don't try to counter-argue me with some example from Disney like "what about the yeti!!" because WDW has always had its own share of ride maintenance woes, but you can't deny that they are constantly refurbishing and polishing the parks themselves. I'm just comparing UOR to itself circa 2010-2015-ish. Also, to further prove that I'm not biased toward Disney, I will add that SeaWorld Orlando always looks very clean with good upkeep, and is downright beautiful, despite their attendance and revenue woes.

Ok, so now that that's all out of the way... UOR is a mess.

Let's start at the parking garages. Yeah I know they're just parking garages, but they're disgusting. The whole structure is, all the way to Ctywalk. The floors are completely stained with grime. The ceilings are covered with cobwebs and mildew. The signs are faded and dirty with burnt out lights. The garbage cans are often overflowing - in the morning, meaning nobody changed them overnight. Not a good first impression.

The walkways. Yeah, you might say "who cares about the ground?" But Disney and SeaWorld care, because the ground is 1/3rd of your field of vision most of the time. Every. Single. walkway at Universal is some combination of the following: cracked, cracked and poorly patched up, stained with grime, faded, or extremely scuffed up (because they bafflingly choose to paint the ground in some areas which looks extremely tacky). Once you notice this, you will not be able to un-see it. If you quote me saying that SeaWorld and Disney are like this too, I absolutely positively promise you that they are not and I'm not above taking a bunch of pictures of the ground to prove it :p

Facades and surfaces everywhere are faded, dirty, and need polishing. Everywhere. It's honestly as if Universal never polishes or power washes or touches up anything because so many areas look completely used and beat up and have clearly not been attended to since 1990/1999, respectively.

Actually, you know what? I could keep going on about the look of the parks, but honestly it still doesn't bother me too much because I've never thought they were pretty parks. USF is the ugliest park in Orlando and both parks are kind of a hodge-podge of clashing aesthetics. However, where Universal used to shine above the competition to make up for this was their attraction upkeep. Some time shortly after Potter opened in 2010 and lasting until at least 2015, there was a clear push to make sure every attraction was in great show condition at all times. It rivaled Disneyland in their upkeep of effects. Sadly, this no longer seems to be the case, and the problem is getting worse every time I visit.

I just visited tonight, for example, and almost every. single. attraction had multiple major show issues. It's reached the level of their pre-Potter days when the park was in a rut and everything was neglected. Half of the effects out on Forbidden Journey. Blown speakers and bad projectors all over Men in Black. Non-working animations on ET. Hogwarts Express cabins smelly and dusty. Multiple broken effects on Mummy. Half the audio missing on Jurassic Park (a ride that just came back from refurbishment). No audio or headlights and broken queue effects on Hulk (not to mention a filthy queue). Water vortex out on Poseidon's Fury (the only thing that really makes the experience worth it). Squealing ride vehicle on Simpsons. Blown speakers throughout Cat in the Hat. Ugly faded giant banner on Rockit, which badly needs a paint job.

The only attractions that looked and felt like they were in tip-top shape were Spider-Man, Gringotts, and of course the news guys, Kong, Fallon, and Fast.

So, what is happening? I kind of don't understand it. The resort is making more money than it ever has and revenue and attendance keep increasing each year. Are they stretching themselves too thin? How do you go from being a near perfect experience and topping yourselves several years in a row to being as bad as it was when the resort was failing?

I posted this rant because I want Universal to be great. I want to feel the enthusiasm I had after Potter when they seemingly had endless momentum for improvements and were killing Disney in the ride upkeep department.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Interesting do you have any photos you could share so those of us who dont get to make it out to the states

OG Runner

I cannot speak to the garage and walk way into the park. I stayed at the Portofino in May and took the water taxi each day. The rides, however, all seemed fine and the parks themselves were in fine shape. I did not experience the ride malfunctions you did. I do hate to
say it, but the Hulk Coaster queue is actually becoming infamous, to the point that I heard people in the park mentioning how filthy and smelly it is. You have a lot of valid points, hopefully, Universal will address them.

Disneyhead'71

Okay, I need to start this thread off with a few disclaimers, since I know the resident UOR PR department here will be on this like flies on you-know-what.

I am not a Disney fanboy who hates Universal. I actually love Universal, though I have been upset with decisions they have been making post-Diagon Alley. A few years ago, when WDW was at it's lowest and most stagnant point, you could find me singing praises of UOR all over this forum. After Wizarding World premiered, they were doing refurbishments and improvements left and right, and for several years the attractions were always in incredible condition and it was rare to ever see a broken effect. Please don't try to counter-argue me with some example from Disney like "what about the yeti!!" because WDW has always had its own share of ride maintenance woes, but you can't deny that they are constantly refurbishing and polishing the parks themselves. I'm just comparing UOR to itself circa 2010-2015-ish. Also, to further prove that I'm not biased toward Disney, I will add that SeaWorld Orlando always looks very clean with good upkeep, and is downright beautiful, despite their attendance and revenue woes.

Ok, so now that that's all out of the way... UOR is a mess.

Let's start at the parking garages. Yeah I know they're just parking garages, but they're disgusting. The whole structure is, all the way to Ctywalk. The floors are completely stained with grime. The ceilings are covered with cobwebs and mildew. The signs are faded and dirty with burnt out lights. The garbage cans are often overflowing - in the morning, meaning nobody changed them overnight.

The walkways. Yeah, you might say "who cares about the ground?" But Disney and SeaWorld care, because the ground is 1/3rd of your field of vision most of the time. Every. Single. walkway at Universal is some combination of the following: cracked, cracked and poorly patched up, stained with grime, faded, or extremely scuffed up (because they bafflingly choose to paint the ground in some areas which looks extremely tacky). Once you notice this, you will not be able to un-see it. If you quote me saying that SeaWorld and Disney are like this too, I absolutely positively promise you that they are not and I'm not above taking a bunch of pictures of the ground to prove it :p

Facades and surfaces everywhere are faded, dirty, and need polishing. Everywhere. It's honestly as if Universal never polishes or power washes or touches up anything because so many areas look completely used and beat up and have clearly not been attended to since 1990/1999, respectively.

Actually, you know what? I could keep going on about the look of the parks, but honestly it still doesn't bother me too much because I've never thought they were pretty parks. USF is the ugliest park in Orlando and both parks are kind of a hodge-podge of clashing aesthetics. However, where Universal used to shine above the competition to make up for this was their attraction upkeep. Some time shortly after Potter opened in 2010, there was a clear push to make sure every attraction was in great show condition at all times. It rivaled Disneyland in the upkeep of effects. Sadly, this no longer seems to be the case, and the problem is getting worse every time I visit.

I just visited tonight, for example, and almost every. single. attraction had multiple major show issues. It's reached the level of their pre-Potter days when the park was in a rut and everything was neglected. Half of the effects out on Forbidden Journey. Blown speakers and bad projectors all over Men in Black. Non-working animations on ET. Hogwarts Express cabins smelly and dusty. Multiple broken effects on Mummy. Half the audio missing on Jurassic Park (a ride that just came back from refurbishment). No audio or headlights and broken queue effects on Hulk (not to mention a filthy queue). Water vortex out on Poseidon's Fury (the only thing that really makes the experience worth it). Squealing ride vehicle on Simpsons. Blown speakers throughout Cat in the Hat. Ugly faded giant banner on Rockit, which badly needs a paint job.

The only attractions that looked and felt like they were in tip-top shape were Spider-Man, Gringotts, and of course the news guys, Kong, Fallon, and Fast.

So, what is happening? I kind of don't understand it. The resort is making more money than it ever has and revenue and attendance keep increasing each year. Are they stretching themselves too thin? How do you go from being a near perfect experience and topping yourselves several years in a row to being as bad as it was when the resort was failing?

I posted this rant because I want Universal to be great. I want to feel the enthusiasm I had after Potter when they seemingly had endless momentum for improvements and were killing Disney in the ride upkeep department.
I agree. The garages look really bad. Also I have noticed a lot of broken effects in the attractions. About half of the targets in MiB are not working. And , as you mentioned, JPRA is in pretty rough shape. The "refurb" wasn't so much a refurb as touching it up preparing for it's upgrade next year.

Their show readiness is definitely spotty. I thought Seuss Landing looked good, but MSHI needs paint badly. Even Mythos felt a bit tired.

Overall, the parks have a beat up like August feel, not a Start of the Summer Season/Ready To Rock feel.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Interesting do you have any photos you could share so those of us who dont get to make it out to the states
I can try to get some on my next visit.

I cannot speak to the garage and walk way into the park. I stayed at the Portofino in May and took the water taxi each day. The rides, however, all seemed fine and the parks themselves were in fine shape. I did not experience the ride malfunctions you did. I do hate to
say it, but the Hulk Coaster queue is actually becoming infamous, to the point that I heard people in the park mentioning how filthy and smelly it is. You have a lot of valid points, hopefully, Universal will address them.
It's possible that my most recent visit was a fluke with the insane amount of things looking bad, however many of the attraction issues have persisted for a while now. I know that Disney has had issues with ride show quality for years, but it's disappointing to see Universal reaching that level too when, to me, that was where they used to excel.

Yeah, Hulk's queue smells like a hot sweaty locker room and looks like a dirty garage. It's possibly the most unpleasant queue in Orlando.

champdisney

Water vortex out on Poseidon's Fury (the only thing that really makes the experience worth it).
Nothing irritated me more than that. I went this past Saturday with my girlfriend, the whole point of going into the attraction was for her to see the water tunnel as I knew she would love it (she’s never experienced Poseidon’s Fury). I was so excited to see her face lighten up by the effect but... the effect did not go as planned and I was upset.

The parking garage is looking like a hot mess. Not too long ago I looked at the parking garage as being part of the experience, it still should be. As a kid when walking on the moving walkways, I felt as if I was in the Jetsons. Now it’s just dull and dirty. Upkeep is keen!

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

The light bulbs out in the parking garage really bothers me. At night portions of the garages can get creepy dark.

I have heard that a refurb of the garages will be part of reworking the transportation hub. I believe resort busses will be using the current Valet loop. And guests will be going through security at each resort prior to boarding the busses.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
By no means am I saying Six Flags parks are better than Universal, but make no mistake, there are Six Flags parks that are cleaner than Universal.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I have visited almost every six flags park and find this statement a total joke.
I have visited a lot as well and yes a lot are gross but a few are decent. Six Flags Great America in Chicago for example is pretty good about it. Of course, I could have just gotten lucky on my few visits to that park. And I’m only talking about cleanliness with the Six Flags comment, not upkeep.

WDWTank

Unfortunately, Universal’s maintenance isn’t that good. Also, what do you expect when a cable company owns a theme park?

BlackCauldron

I was also at Portofino at the beginning of May. We mostly took the garden walkway to the parks, and it was always pristine and very well maintained. The rides also seemed to be in mostly great shape. I did notice the volume in Cat in the Hat was horribly inconsistent - some rooms were extremely loud, others you could barely hear the dialogue. MIB looked just fine and all of the targets seemed to work and Mummy had all working effects. The only effect I noticed missing from Forbidden Journey was the dementor "soul suck" at the end. The water vortex even worked in Poseidon's Fury - and it's pretty damn impressive, if not horrifically smelly. Some of the walkways at USF could use a refresh, but Islands looked very good overall.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Unfortunately, Universal’s maintenance isn’t that good. Also, what do you expect when a cable company owns a theme park?
Well, from 2010 - 2015/2016 the ride and show effect upkeep was incredible. It seems that now the maintenance department is stretched too thin, or they've decided that they've increased their attendance and profit so much that they don't have to try as hard now.

WDWTank

Well, from 2010 - 2015/2016 the ride and show effect upkeep was incredible. It seems that now the maintenance department is stretched too thin, or they've decided that they've increased their attendance and profit so much that they don't have to try as hard now.
They brought back the fog inside The Big Bug at the end of MIB :D
Only recently though, haven’t seen it from 2012-2017

Brad Bishop

By no means am I saying Six Flags parks are better than Universal, but make no mistake, there are Six Flags parks that are cleaner than Universal.

It should also be noted that Six Flags has really cleaned up their act since the mid-2000s.

The mid-2000s, which most people remember, had Six Flags with: in attentive employees (typically on the call boxes to other rides chatting about nothing), rude employees, garbage everywhere (it was normal that cans were overflowing all the time), rides that needed painting, etc.

Since then, they've cleaned things up. Polite employees. Attentive employees. A lot more flower beds than before. Generally clean. Trashcans maintained. Rides looking pretty good.

Six Flags was Craptown 10+ years back. They've really come a long way.

I thought Universal was pretty rundown when I first visited it in 2012. I think Potter was open then. Potter was fine. Everything else seemed "blah" and neglected. Since then they seem to be making their way around each of the parks and redoing/improving everything step-by-step.

Last edited:

danpam1024

The fire effect on Mummy hasn't worked for months, the fog effect and waterfall are out on RipSaw, 2 of the dinosaur shooters were broken in Camp Jurassic, and the creatures on Caro-Suessel are a mess(I actually wrote to guest services about it they were so bad). They are in expansion mode and only seem to be keeping the HP areas in tip top shape. I always assumed the team members that worked in certain areas reported breaks/repairs needed and they could be attended to promptly. Guess not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom