Unusual Disney Fact

cooleo

Lots of Cool facts, most of which I already knew. However, there are a few I was not aware of. I would share but everyone beat me to the ones I knew. :shrug:

Scott M

The Eiffel Tower in Epcot's France is treated with a special type of material which repels birds.

This is done for 2 reasons:

The first one being that the tower is obviously built on a smaller scale than the actual one, so as to look as if it is looming in the distance. A bird perched anywhere on the tower would spoil the illusion.

The second reason for the material should be obvious. :animwink:

Scott

Scott M

In Epcot, Mexico's and Canada's pavilions were built on each of the ends of World Showcase as "bookends" because the countries themselves border the United States. Originally, the American pavilion was to be built between the two, on the border of Future World and World Showcase. These plans were scrapped for the current location, when it was realized that the original location would block a large portion of the view of World Showcase.

Imagineers used "reverse" forced perspective when building the American pavilion. Because they wanted the centrally located pavilion to stand out and be a focal point, the pavilion was built 5 stories high. However, colonial buildings of the time were rarely built more than 3 stories high, so imagineers used over-sized doors, windows, and other appointments to create the illusion that the building was only 3 stories.

Scott

doombuggie

The plane in the "casablanca" scene in TGMR was sought after in a plane graveyard.....after restoring it and getting it ready they noticed the tail# was in fact the ACTUAL plane used in the filming of the movie....totally happened by chance!!

doombuggie

ok then....

All the rooms in the contemporary(original rooms) were prefabricated and simply "slid" into place using a crane into slots....

The cast used to form the hovercrafts in Horizons...can be found as a prop in the backlot restaraunt in MGM studios...

The "We ask Justice, We ask equality" speach from AA can be heard in the beginning of SSE while traveling up the beginning dark climb...

The Large ASteroid projected in Space Mountain is actually a picture of a chocolate chip cookie...

be back when i can think of more

Captain Hank

I know that dialog from American Adventure was used in SSE, but I'm not sure if it was still audible as of when SSE closed for rehab. If it was even being played, it was likely drowned out by "SPACESHIP EARTH IS A SLOW MOVING TRIP THROUGH TIME WHICH TRACES THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNCATION IN OUR LIVES..." being blasted in that area.

Antjeanne

I'm not sure how true this is. but, on my last trip our monorail driver told us that the Contemporary has shifted or settled and the rooms are now stuck in place.

Captain Hank

I'm not sure how true this is. but, on my last trip our monorail driver told us that the Contemporary has shifted or settled and the rooms are now stuck in place.
The rumor I'd heard was more a problem of rust. However, I've also heard that they were never intended to be removed after they were installed.

Texas84

"The Large Asteroid projected in Space Mountain is actually a picture of a chocolate chip cookie..."

I got flamed big time the last time I said this, but, nope, not true. :lookaroun I still tell people that it is though! Kinda like the ring. It's fun! :D

Scott M

With regard to the plane from Casablanca: The movie itself did not use an actual airplane in filming the scene, it was merely a prop (pardon the pun).

However, the scene in The Great Movie Ride actually does utilize a real airplane, albeit just the front of one. The tail of that same aircraft can be found on The Jungle Cruise.

Scott

doombuggie

The Jungle Cruise was to use REAL animals but they realized the animals were mostly nocturnal...thus not being viewable all day...so they went AA...

In winnie the Pooh...there is a homage to Mr toad...there is a picture of Mr. Toad handing the Deed to _______. someone please complete this<--- i am drawing a blank.

IN Journey there is homage to Dream finder...one of the office doors in the first lab....is labeled "Dean" finder..

ALL of Disneylands MK can fit into the WS lagoon at Epcot

The lamp in the window of the fire station on Main street NEVER goes off!!

be back with more...

jonnykeogh

Walt Disney World is about the same size as the City of Manchester in England.

The Plane used in the Backlot Tour of MGM is a real one. Walt Disney used it to find the perfect location to build Disney World upon

Captain Hank

The Jungle Cruise was to use REAL animals but they realized the animals were mostly nocturnal...thus not being viewable all day...so they went AA...

In winnie the Pooh...there is a homage to Mr toad...there is a picture of Mr. Toad handing the Deed to _______. someone please complete this<--- i am drawing a blank.

IN Journey there is homage to Dream finder...one of the office doors in the first lab....is labeled "Dean" finder..

ALL of Disneylands MK can fit into the WS lagoon at Epcot

The lamp in the window of the fire station on Main street NEVER goes off!!

be back with more...
He's handing the deed to Owl.

And it should probably be specified that it's Disneyland's fire station whose light never goes out. That's because that's where Walt's apartment was, and a light in the window meant Walt was in the park. Ever since his death, the light has been kept on permanently.

Did you know that when the "Florida Project" started they joined with Florida Telephone Company and created "Vista-United Telecommunications" which became the FIRST telephone company in Florida to implement a 911 emergency system.

Did you know that the 2 LARGE Gold spiers atop the castle are painted with 24k gold flake, are NOT removable for storms, and peak the castle to 189 feet which is 10 feet shorter then the new Expedition Everest which is the tallest bulding/attraction on WDW property and is 2 feet under the 200 foot requirement to add beacon lights to the top for air planes to see.

A daily average of 100 pairs of shades find their way to Magic Kingdom's lost and found

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom