Unusual Disney Fact

Scott M

On Main Street, U.S.A., Exposition Hall is the only building built to full scale.

This was done to block guests' view of the Contemporary Resort, which does obviously not fit with Main Street, U.S.A.'s theme.

Scott

fossilizedtrees

Not claiming it's true...

Ok so I heard someone say one time that the Handicap parking is located in the Dopey section in TTC :lookaroun.
I forgot to look on the way out, but tried doing some research online. I found a tip place that said the Handicap parking was located in that particular section.
Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

darthjohnny

I read this one in a trivia book:

Madame Leota pretty much made the ghosts appear for you in the haunted mansion, (ever notice how you never saw one before you got to that scene) and the ghosts in the ballroom scene are transparent... after you fal out of the attic (or did the bride push you?) the ghosts appear solid, this is because you supposidly died when you fell... thats why you can see them better.

Well, the ghosts are there the entire time. You see some of their hands and shadows. But I guess you could say that Leota conjured up these spirts. Perhaps they show up because you have pleased the ghosts by "remaining quitely seated," so they decide to materialize.

As for the whole "dying part" I never quite believed that.

What trivia book did you read this from? Because it seems to me that that is a fan-made myth about the bride pushing you.

"Killing the guests" doesn't seem to have that Disney feel. And how would they explain that you came back to life after the ride?

In fact, the Little Woman at the end ("Little Leota" as she is called) and the singing voices mention that they want you to come back after you die ("Bring your death certificate"..."If you would like to join our jamboree...mortal's pay a token fee....")

So, it is made clear that you remained alive the entire time.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
dont think I saw this one posted and apologies if it was, but there is a small basketball court located inside the matterhorn.

Im not sure why, but I've heard something about the size of the building had to be for some kind of sport if it's built? :shrug:

Enderikari

On Main Street, U.S.A., Exposition Hall is the only building built to full scale.

This was done to block guests' view of the Contemporary Resort, which does obviously not fit with Main Street, U.S.A.'s theme.

Scott

Train Station also built without forced perspective, to block view once again.

The American Adventure was built using reverse forced perspective, to make it look better when looking at it across the World Showcase Lagoon

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
dont think I saw this one posted and apologies if it was, but there is a small basketball court located inside the matterhorn.

Im not sure why, but I've heard something about the size of the building had to be for some kind of sport if it's built? :shrug:
It's true

darthjohnny

There is a basketball court.

I believe it was built for the cast members when they weren't working (especially when they had the mountain climbers).

It was a place they could kick back on their break.

Brian_WDW74

The half-court is there. But not because of any kind of building code. That's an urban legend. It started when one of the Matterhorn climbers put up a basketball hoop and backboard in the small breakroom near the summit to help pass the time during inclement weather. Floor markings were later added. So the court, such as it is, is purely a CM construction.

First Post!!

This is my first WDWmagic post!:wave: instead of lurking i guess i should make a contribution...Disney Imagineers actually designed SSE to have that musty "smell of ages" piped into the ride for effect. personally i like it!

Kuhio

This is very true. Especially the roof of the Columbia Harbor House/Hall of Presidents building. The water just pours off the roof.

Thanks for clearing up a mystery! I noticed water pouring off one of the roofs in Liberty Square during one of the MNSSHP nights -- I had no idea why it was happening. I thought maybe there had been some water pipe rupture...

Kuhio

Along this same line, one of the gentlmen that has been chased up a tree by a rhinoceros on the Jungle Cruise is the same gentleman that is nervously holding a lantern with his dog in the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion.

Scott

Also along these lines:

One of the duellists from the ballroom in the HM is the same AA figure as the auctioneer in PotC. Also, I believe that several of the presidents from the HoP are used as background pirates in PotC. (Taken from the Surrell HM and PotC books.)

I've also heard (probably from a thread on these boards) that the beheaded mayor in PM at DLP is the same AA figure as Dreamfinder from the original JII.

Kuhio

An article from another board on fake hotels in Disney parks (e.g., the Hollywood Tower Hotel) got me to thinking about other ersatz businesses in WDW.

In addition to the "real" eating establishments (i.e., Nine Dragons, Lotus Blossom Cafe), there are at least three Chinese restaurants in WDW: one above Casey's Corner, with its windows facing Main Street ("Fine Food / Imported Tea"); one in the background of the second scene of Carousel of Progress ("Kohn's Chinese Restaurant"); and one in the Chinatown street in the Studios. There's also a similar Chinese restaurant on Main Street in DL, which I believe has been around for a while (possibly since the park's early years) -- and likely influenced the addition of its MK counterpart.

In addition, there are at least two Chinese laundries in WDW: one in the same "building" as the restaurant in the Studios, and one in Frontierland.

I've also read that the first human AA figure was originally planned to be a replica of Confucius to be used at an operational Chinese restaurant in DL. All of this makes me wonder: did Walt Disney just really like Chinese food, or what? Did some wayward Chinese immigrants open a restaurant in small-town Marceline, Missouri, in the early 1900s that left a lasting impression on a young Walt Disney? It's a little odd...

brkgnews

I believe Chinese restaurants were just becoming popular during that time period and, with the exception of areas with a high concentration of other immigrants, were often the first introduction to "international" food that many Americans had.

GenerationX

Hey, I stumbled on a few more unusual Disney facts, and I thought I'd pass them along:

1. You could fit the entire state of Rhode Island within the Animal Kingdom!

2. The NFL was the first sports organization to ban Pixie Dust back in 1972. The NBA, NHL, NCAA, and IOC quickly followed suit.

3. Walt got the idea for Pirates of the Caribbean on his honeymoon. He took a week-long Caribbean cruise with his new bride, but three days into it, the cruise ship was boarded by a band of pirates. The pirates killed several of the crew and began stealing the valuables on board. However, they recognized Walt immediately and refused to take any of his possessions out of respect. Walt returned their kindness by later hiring the pirates to pose for the Imagineers as they crafted the AAs in PotC that we enjoy today. :)

Kristamouse

Really?? The Pirate thing is true? Never mind it is April 1st....

Hey, I stumbled on a few more unusual Disney facts, and I thought I'd pass them along:

1. You could fit the entire state of Rhode Island within the Animal Kingdom!

2. The NFL was the first sports organization to ban Pixie Dust back in 1972. The NBA, NHL, NCAA, and IOC quickly followed suit.

3. Walt got the idea for Pirates of the Caribbean on his honeymoon. He took a week-long Caribbean cruise with his new bride, but three days into it, the cruise ship was boarded by a band of pirates. The pirates killed several of the crew and began stealing the valuables on board. However, they recognized Walt immediately and refused to take any of his possessions out of respect. Walt returned their kindness by later hiring the pirates to pose for the Imagineers as they crafted the AAs in PotC that we enjoy today. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom