Unusual Disney Fact

coilback

Urban Legend

Actually the thing about the ToT and Rockin Roller Coaster having their own power generator isn't a legend. The Imagineers talked about it on a History Channel special (was one of the Modern Marvels - I know because I bought the DVD of it)

Fantasyland-er

I love this thread!!

I'll try to control myself and only post a few factoids at at a time:

1) The pavement in MK is that wierd reddish maroon color because Kodak after extensive studies told WDW that that color creates the best contrast for pictures

2) In the main street "credit" windows, only Walt Disney's window above the Ice creamery faces the castle

3) The roof of the tiki room is metal not thatch (stand up on a bench next time and feel it!)

thats all for now!

Well you're right except for the pavement... its ment to resemble a red carpet, that disney uses to treat you like royalty. As far as I know it has nothing to do with kodak... Disney just wanted to build suspense, until you enter the park... (hence when you go through the turnstyles it takes you a while to see the castle) and once you do enter the pavement is red (as if you were treated like a celebrity on a red carpet.)

Fantasyland-er

One of the Islands on Bay Lake was called Razz Island after the family that lived on the island, then in the 30s or so (dont quote me on that) it was used as some sort of radio hosts hide out!

Captain Hank

One of the Islands on seven seas lagoon was called Razz Island after the family that lived on the island, then in the 30s or so (dont quote me on that) it was used as some sort of radio hosts hide out!
Perhaps you mean Bay Lake? The Seven Seas Lagoon didn't exist until the late 60s. It was dug by the Walt Disney Company, and the earth removed from the SSL site was used to backfill on top of the Utilidoors.

Since1976

Well you're right except for the pavement... its ment to resemble a red carpet, that disney uses to treat you like royalty. As far as I know it has nothing to do with kodak... Disney just wanted to build suspense, until you enter the park... (hence when you go through the turnstyles it takes you a while to see the castle) and once you do enter the pavement is red (as if you were treated like a celebrity on a red carpet.)

Actually, if Disney lore is to be believe, I think you're both right. Walt Disney wanted a red carpet, and supposedly worked with Kodak to pick just the right shade.

I'll be honest, though. I've heard these tidbits so many times, I'm beginning to wonder whether they were invented. Suffice it to say that at the Disney parks, no design or color choice is made lightly.

Retrorides

"The Large Asteroid projected in Space Mountain is actually a picture of a chocolate chip cookie..."

I got flamed big time the last time I said this, but, nope, not true. :lookaroun I still tell people that it is though! Kinda like the ring. It's fun! :D

You got flamed because you were wrong--and still are. Those absolutely are chocolate chip cookies. But do keep telling them that. You'll at least sound right on the outside and people will think you really are smart. :eek:

Fantasyland-er

I read this one in a trivia book:

Madame Leota pretty much made the ghosts appear for you in the haunted mansion, (ever notice how you never saw one before you got to that scene) and the ghosts in the ballroom scene are transparent... after you fal out of the attic (or did the bride push you?) the ghosts appear solid, this is because you supposidly died when you fell... thats why you can see them better.

This is kind of a 2 for 1 deal.

The reason Main Street USA is on an incline is to
1) make Cinderellas Castle seem bigger
2) and at the end of the day when you are really tired from a long day at the park, it is a lot easier to walk down a hill to exit the park.

Captain Hank

This is kind of a 2 for 1 deal.

The reason Main Street USA is on an incline is to
1) make Cinderellas Castle seem bigger
2) and at the end of the day when you are really tired from a long day at the park, it is a lot easier to walk down a hill to exit the park.
It also helps with drainage. There are well-cameoflaged grates in Town Square that collect the water from most of Main Street.

Fantasyland-er

In the Utilidors there are several stairways exiting into the park... The Digital Animation Control System (DACS) is located in the fantasyland section right under Mickey's Philhar Magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom