Unpopular WDW Opinions

Brer Oswald

I'm not going to correct you because there is nothing to correct, however, I am curious why you would say that. I never set foot in a Disney Park (WDW) until I was 35 years old. Since that time, over 35 years now (half my life) I have been to WDW 45 times, DL once, DL Paris once, and on this particular board since 2003. I don't understand why you think that you only got to like the place since you went when you were a toddler.
Everyone is different I guess. 35 years ago puts you near the opening of Epcot Center. Those were the heydays of the parks. That’s when they were a big deal to people of all ages, not just families with young children. Considering that I do not care for the animated Disney films (outside of the Walt era ones), I struggle to imagine a scenario in which I’d be compelled to visit the parks as an adult without that passion that was built in me at such a young age. It is 100% true that Disney is still compelling for all ages, but whether it be through word of mouth or advertisements, it doesn’t seem like it is to the majority of people where I’m from (Southern Ontario). I don’t know a single Disney fan my age, and most of them were over 7 when they first visited. Call it what you want, I think it’s just a difference in generation and how they were brought up. Then again, who can really say whether or not I’d still love Disney if I was introduced to the parks at an older age. I would assume no, but I can’t say for sure because that’s not how it happened, and I’m so thankful I was able to go on those trips when I was younger.

Goofyernmost

Everyone is different I guess. 35 years ago puts you near the opening of Epcot Center. Those were the heydays of the parks. That’s when they were a big deal to people of all ages, not just families with young children. Considering that I do not care for the animated Disney films (outside of the Walt era ones), I struggle to imagine a scenario in which I’d be compelled to visit the parks as an adult without that passion that was built in me at such a young age. It is 100% true that Disney is still compelling for all ages, but whether it be through word of mouth or advertisements, it doesn’t seem like it is to the majority of people where I’m from (Southern Ontario). I don’t know a single Disney fan my age, and most of them were over 7 when they first visited. Call it what you want, I think it’s just a difference in generation and how they were brought up. Then again, who can really say whether or not I’d still love Disney if I was introduced to the parks at an older age. I would assume no, but I can’t say for sure because that’s not how it happened, and I’m so thankful I was able to go on those trips when I was younger.
And well you should be, but, you don't like it because of the fact you went early any more then I liked it going later in life. I was in EPCOT Ctr. in February 1983, just 4 months after it opened and at that time it was anything but complete. In fact, we left and drove to Cape Canaveral instead of standing in amazingly large lines trying to get to see very few attractions. We never even got to World Showcase. At the time Horizons, wasn't there, The Seas wasn't there, even Imagination didn't have Dreamfinder and Figment. However, with a few exceptions, MK was a much more completed park. It didn't have Splash Mtn, but, it did have many of the things you see today. I'm just saying that it's nice that you got to go when you were younger, but, the essentials of what made you love the place still exist even today. If your makeup loves it, you would have loved it at any age.

disneyspirit

At first I thought my only unpopular opinion would be Peter Pan was a long wait for a boring ride. Then it hit me:

Hoop de Doo Review, not witty, very annoying, and sure not worth what it took to get there, never mind the
expense. We snuck out which is not easy when your table abuts the stage. As we got outside I said I think
I left my sunglasses! and my husband said I'll buy you a new pair, let's go! heh

Brer Oswald

And well you should be, but, you don't like it because of the fact you went early any more then I liked it going later in life. I was in EPCOT Ctr. in February 1983, just 4 months after it opened and at that time it was anything but complete. In fact, we left and drove to Cape Canaveral instead of standing in amazingly large lines trying to get to see very few attractions. We never even got to World Showcase. At the time Horizons, wasn't there, The Seas wasn't there, even Imagination didn't have Dreamfinder and Figment. However, with a few exceptions, MK was a much more completed park. It didn't have Splash Mtn, but, it did have many of the things you see today. I'm just saying that it's nice that you got to go when you were younger, but, the essentials of what made you love the place still exist even today. If your makeup loves it, you would have loved it at any age.
I definitely agree. I strongly believe Disney is good for all ages, and I even think it gets more enjoyable the older you get. I’m just judging based off the people in my area that I likely wouldn’t have been as enticed to go without the love of WDW that I developed from those original trips. Even if I did, I might not have been as invested in the Disney Park culture as I am now. Then again, you had a late start, and you’re probably a bigger fan than I am! I think it definitely helped that my parents knew their way around the parks pretty well. That’s probably the crucial detail here. If you have a family with young children going to WDW for the first time, not only do the parents have to learn how the parks work themselves, but they also have to deal with fussy children and learn how to attend to their needs within the parks. To that I say, wait till the kids a bit older. Either that, or only bring one child!

Goofyernmost

I definitely agree. I strongly believe Disney is good for all ages, and I even think it gets more enjoyable the older you get. I’m just judging based off the people in my area that I likely wouldn’t have been as enticed to go without the love of WDW that I developed from those original trips. Even if I did, I might not have been as invested in the Disney Park culture as I am now. Then again, you had a late start, and you’re probably a bigger fan than I am! I think it definitely helped that my parents knew their way around the parks pretty well. That’s probably the crucial detail here. If you have a family with young children going to WDW for the first time, not only do the parents have to learn how the parks work themselves, but they also have to deal with fussy children and learn how to attend to their needs within the parks. To that I say, wait till the kids a bit older. Either that, or only bring one child!
What you say is true, but, back when I started it was much, much simpler and you always knew what to expect. It wasn't complicated at all. You bought a ticket, you entered the park whenever you wanted too. Both MK and EPCOT were all part of the same ticket, park hopping was built right in and you could walk up and eat at a counter service or just a few minutes before you wanted to eat at a sit down you could call, sometimes just minutes before you wanted to go there. No 60 days, no 90 days out. No ADR, no FP's! Just simple and uncomplicated. That's the part that I miss. Some of my favorite attractions are now gone, I miss them, but, I know that in order for anything to remain alive, it has to change with the times. Simple fact of life.

LUVofDIS

I believe Disney is for all ages, I just see the triedness, the weakness, the cranky when young children are at the parks all day. The older they are, and the more mobile they are, I would think there would be less of all that. Maybe a good age is the age they no longer require a stroller or the need of mom or dad to carry them.

HoneyBee1991

The complete gutting and reimagining of Spaceship Earth. Keep the iconic structure, obviously. But for the love of Disney, please replace the run-down, boring animatronics with something that won't put everyone under 50 to sleep instantly.

Minnie1976

Disney wants the crowds. When we started going , there was no big deal about Halloween. There were no food and wine festivals nor flower festival. There were no races. There was no magic express nor Disney DVC. With all the added fluff comes the people. I use to know when the down crowds were and when what part wasn’t crowded. Not anymore, it is all gone. All this planning ahead is down right work. It has become something you have to do, to get a particular restaurant or you don’t want to wait forever for a popular attraction.
Fastpass plus is only for a few while the standby lines grow longer.
When they started with the Halloween and Christmas party they didn’t allow as many people as now and they offer less and less freebies than at 1st.

Disney originally was so parents could enjoy the park with their children. The attractions now are for older children. In Toystory Land there was one attraction for little people. Look at the original MK. The park has lots parents and little children can enjoy. Always packed and the attractions are close together. Of course, they took away Snow White.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Disney wants the crowds. When we started going , there was no big deal about Halloween. There were no food and wine festivals nor flower festival. There were no races. There was no magic express nor Disney DVC. With all the added fluff comes the people. I use to know when the down crowds were and when what part wasn’t crowded. Not anymore, it is all gone. All this planning ahead is down right work. It has become something you have to do, to get a particular restaurant or you don’t want to wait forever for a popular attraction.
Fastpass plus is only for a few while the standby lines grow longer.
When they started with the Halloween and Christmas party they didn’t allow as many people as now and they offer less and less freebies than at 1st.

Disney originally was so parents could enjoy the park with their children. The attractions now are for older children. In Toystory Land there was one attraction for little people. Look at the original MK. The park has lots parents and little children can enjoy. Always packed and the attractions are close together. Of course, they took away Snow White.
toy story land is a really kiddie land, that's why it's not very popular and one of the many reasons why crowds are down.

Damon7777

I know most of you want to excommunicate me due to the following heresy:

Soarin' ain't all that!

Facade-- nothing, 0, M. I. A.
Queue--worse than boring
Pre show--long in the tooth
Ride--screen with embarrassing CGI embellishments

Club Cooloholic

We're all bound to have some unpopular opinions regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

To start, here's a few of mine...
  • there's too much Star Wars at Hollywood Studios
  • Disney should have built all-encompassing Pixar Land and Lucasfilm Land instead of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge, respectively
  • Downtown Disney is a more exciting name than Disney Springs
  • Pop Century Legendary Years would've been better than Art of Animation
  • paper FPs were a better system than FP+
  • Hollywood Studios should've stayed a working film studio
  • Disney should have built Beastly Kingdom instead of Pandora
  • putting Frozen and Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot are terrible ideas
  • I liked the Millionaire show at Hollywood Studios
  • the Pixar Short Film Festival is a lame excuse for a Captain EO replacement. Disney should've just brought back HISTA instead.
Holy cow, I am in agreement! I don't have much of an opinion on art of animation, but I totally miss the printed ticket system in my opinion it was just a fairer way to do things and I miss the spontaneity . I had a similar post about Pixar land .. and maybe you agree with this...I think they should build more original attractions that are not tied into anything. Everest is a great ride because your mind is open to not knowing exactly what it will be about when you ride it. All these tie ins...not so sure.

Raineman

Yes, I knew even with the title of the thread being unpopular opinions that I would get SLAMMED for saying this. Especially as enthusiasticly as I did.

But I feel good having written it down. Its like this huge Disney secret I have been carrying around in my soul. The truth is out now.

"Hello, my name is Brandy and I hate Spaceship Earth."
If they did what you mentioned, it would be the final nail in the coffin for the Future World that many of us love and remember. SSE needs to be freshened up and have something new for the descent, but to gut it completely-I personally do not concur. If anything needs to be gutted and reimagined, it’s the empty carcass of Communicore/Innoventions-my childhood memories of Epcot lie mostly within those 2 buildings.

Paper straw fan

Yes, I knew even with the title of the thread being unpopular opinions that I would get SLAMMED for saying this. Especially as enthusiasticly as I did.

But I feel good having written it down. Its like this huge Disney secret I have been carrying around in my soul. The truth is out now.

"Hello, my name is Brandy and I hate Spaceship Earth."

This is a good hot take (and funny)

I think pre mobile apps the whole “photoshop your faces into Jetsons pics” was amusing, and there are a number of rides at WDW I appreciate the campiness, but Spaceship should, IMO, be a continuously upgraded ride to show cool, futuristic (or just early adapter) technology. I mean it’s your parks iconic structure, unless the ride itself is too (it’s not) then update that thing

TwilightZone

An IP based night show at epcot is not a bad idea, as long as they keep it close to the epcot themes and not just be "oh look at this clip"

kurtk

I think Jungle Cruise is a terrible ride. Except for the nostalgia it has nothing to offer. The lines are long and the jokes are old. The animatronics may have been great for their day but are not good today.

It seems like it uses a large amount of land in the MK that could be used for 2 new rides.

Prince-1

More of a pet peeve than an unpopular opinion (although it can be) but annoying people on here that argue whether there can be a Jedi Training Center in the new Star Wars land because of some silly made-up timeline that exists.

Who cares.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom